Announcement

Old April 12th 17, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Announcement

On 04/01/2017 04:45 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
I am very pleased to announce that nospam and I have come to a binding
agreement that we will no longer argue in this group.

Concessions were made on both sides. nospam agreed to admit that he
has been wrong on most issues over which we have contretemps, but I
have agreed that most of his bogus positions have merely been the
result of his inability to write what he means, and that he had the
right idea but was unable to coherently present his point.

As part of the negotiations, nospam gave me access to his entire body
of photography even though he had to rather sheepishly reveal that he
uses a file-and-folder system of organization. It turns out that he
specializes in light-leak photography and mimicking Holga-like images
in-camera with a modified DSLR. Quite interesting stuff, actually.

I, in turn, provided him with a keyboard map showing the location of
the SHIFT key and instructions on how and when to use it. I also
provided him with some templates of how to provide useful information
and positive input. To show good faith, the templates all described
Apple products favorably and indicated - quite robustly - that Apple
product prices are not that excessive when you compare the specs to
reasonably priced products.

He has been in my kf for a long time, he is an absolute troll and it's
not anything to do with him unable to express himself...he lies
purposely for attention I suppose.
Old April 12th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:20:01 -0500, philo wrote:

[...]

I don't think he lies purposely, at least not at the beginning. What I
think happens is that it starts when he responds to somebody's article
having seen but one of the many subtly different possible
interpretations of what was written. From that moment on he is locked
on to that interpretation and nothing at all will shift him. Then
someway down the thread he changes direction, maybe only a subtle
shift or maybe considerable, and from then on *that* is what the
arguments is about.

A favorite trick which may not be entirely conscious is for him to
make a series of statements based on a particular concept which he has
in mind. Having written so much around and about that concept he will,
when asked why he is saying these things, reply that he has already
explained. However, while in the beginning he may have genuinely not
realised that people have not understood what was behind his earlier
statements, more recently he falls back on "it's already been
explained" or some similar argument as a cop out.

There is another problem. A while ago he and I had an argument about
what happens in Windows when printing. As far as he is concerned when
the programmer metaphorically pushes the 'print' button the printer
bursts into life. In fact as discovered the programmer pushing the
'print' button causes all hell to burst into life within Windows with
processes and programs shuttling, modifying and writing data all over
the place before any of it gets to the printer. The programmer doesn't
need to know any of this as it's all looked after by the operating
system. Nevertheless all this clamour has to occur before anything
gets printed.

I have noticed that nospam tends to think only on the basis of what he
has to know about and nothing else exists.

I agree that he can be a pain in the neck but as someone has recently
pointed out he is generally very knowledgeable and can be very helpful
to others. For that reason I put up with him when he is not trying to
lead others astray.

Eric Stevens
Old April 12th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 04/12/2017 12:00 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:

snip
[...]

Put it this way, if he is not purposely trolling he is wrong 99% of the
time so for no other reason is in my KF
Old April 12th 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't think he lies purposely, at least not at the beginning.

i don't lie at all. i might make a mistake, as does everyone, but
that's not lying.

calling me a liar does not help your cause (which is bogus to begin
with).

What I
think happens is that it starts when he responds to somebody's article
having seen but one of the many subtly different possible
interpretations of what was written. From that moment on he is locked
on to that interpretation and nothing at all will shift him. Then
someway down the thread he changes direction, maybe only a subtle
shift or maybe considerable, and from then on *that* is what the
arguments is about.

that describes others, not me.

some people are so hell bent on arguing that they lie and twist about
what i said *just* to argue.

A favorite trick which may not be entirely conscious is for him to
make a series of statements based on a particular concept which he has
in mind. Having written so much around and about that concept he will,
when asked why he is saying these things, reply that he has already
explained. However, while in the beginning he may have genuinely not
realised that people have not understood what was behind his earlier
statements, more recently he falls back on "it's already been
explained" or some similar argument as a cop out.

if someone doesn't understand something, then by all means ask for
clarification.

if they don't ask, i can only assume they understood what they read.
what other conclusion is there?

There is another problem. A while ago he and I had an argument about
what happens in Windows when printing. As far as he is concerned when
the programmer metaphorically pushes the 'print' button the printer
bursts into life.

that's all that matters to the programmer.

In fact as discovered the programmer pushing the
'print' button causes all hell to burst into life within Windows with
processes and programs shuttling, modifying and writing data all over
the place before any of it gets to the printer.

unless someone is writing low level printer drivers, none of that
matters.

The programmer doesn't
need to know any of this as it's all looked after by the operating
system.

exactly the point.

the programmer metaphorically pushes the print button, *exactly* as i
described, and a print comes out of the printer. often, it's just two
api calls (sometimes one).

when you push the accelerator pedal in a car, a whole world of things
happen too, none of which matter in getting to the grocery store. it
might matter to an auto mechanic fixing your car, but not the owner.

Nevertheless all this clamour has to occur before anything
gets printed.

nobody said otherwise. however, it doesn't matter to the programmer and
certainly not the user.

it's just another fabricated argument.
Old April 13th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
map[_2_]

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:
[ ... ]
I agree that he can be a pain in the neck but as someone has recently
pointed out he is generally very knowledgeable and can be very helpful
to others. For that reason I put up with him when he is not trying to
lead others astray.

Since about every thread he posts more than 2 messages to
has moved completely off topic, I'm not sure what you are
talking about.
Old April 13th 17, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 11:14:46 -0500, map

Eric Stevens wrote:
[ ... ]
I agree that he can be a pain in the neck but as someone has recently
pointed out he is generally very knowledgeable and can be very helpful
to others. For that reason I put up with him when he is not trying to
lead others astray.

Since about every thread he posts more than 2 messages to
has moved completely off topic, I'm not sure what you are
talking about.

I will admit the occasions are rare ...

Eric Stevens