Camera Trends

Old March 12th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Camera Trends

A few days ago, I was at "Costco" (a U.S. warehouse club). I wanted to
glance at the digital cameras, but, I couldn't find any.

Finally, I decided to ask an employee. He guided me to an area made up
of smart phones and tablets, exclusively!

However, I returned to the spot a little later. Another worker showed me
that there were indeed "real" cameras, directly across the aisle.

There were a few DSLR's and a couple of compact P&S models. It almost
seemed as though they were trying to hide them!

Plus, early last year (2016), "Shopko" (a U.S. chain of stores) got rid
of its camera department (all P&S's). In the many months since then,
this particular place went out of business.

Hence, it appears the lowly P&S digicam is threatened with extinction,
by the cameras built into smart phones and tablets. Furthermore, the
mighty DSLR itself is being menaced by these same devices...what will
the future bring?

John
Old March 12th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-12 23:00:38 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

The compact camera has been surpassed by the smartphone. Currently,
according to Flickr, the iPhone is the most popular *camera* in use.
Personally, in mind, and in wallet, I have made the move from DSLR to
mirrorless.

Savageduck

Old March 12th 17, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 20170312162156560-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

that's been the case for several years.
Old March 13th 17, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-13 01:11:55 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 16:21:56 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-03-12 23:00:38 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

Yeah, but the greatest number of photographs taken with iPhones and
smartphones are selfies and goofball shots of other people. A good
photograph can be taken with one of those devices, but that's not what
most of the shots are.

I totally agree. However, the impact of those happy snapshot shooting
smart phones on the compact camera market cannot be denied, regardless
of the quality or intent of those photographs. Remember, the majority
of compact, P&S cameras, like Instamatics before them were used to
shoot those very same inconsequential goofball snapshots.

If you consider just the photographs taken with all camera devices
that have some appeal to those who aren't in the photograph, or the
taker of the photographer, then dslrs are the most popular capturers
of those photographs.

Yup! However, the digital camera types used by enthusiasts, and pros
are currently in a state of flux. So far the DSLR isn't dead or dying,
but the mirrorless systems APS-C, FF, and now MF are making serious
headway. As much as I have been a solid Nikon DSLR user, I find can get
more for my $$$ out of my move to mirrorless without any loss in IQ,
with the bonus of a new found enthusiasm to actually taking photographs.

Savageduck

Old March 13th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 2017-03-12 23:00:38 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

Quantity vs quality? In the end who wins?
[YMMV]
==
Later....
Ron C

Old March 13th 17, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-12 23:00:38 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

When you make the quantity vs quality call; what quantity are you refering to?
Once you get into the realm of quality cameras, purpose is going to
dictate camera type for users prepared to spend their cash on.

Savageduck

Old March 13th 17, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-12 23:00:38 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

I think I just choked on my syntax and grammar.

Savageduck

Old March 13th 17, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 12/03/2017 23:21, Savageduck wrote:
[]
The compact camera has been surpassed by the smartphone. Currently,
according to Flickr, the iPhone is the most popular *camera* in use.
Personally, in mind, and in wallet, I have made the move from DSLR to
mirrorless.

With the exception of long zoom range, yes.

I too have moved to mirrorless, and am very pleased both with the image
quality, and the reduced size and weight. I can't think when I last
used either of the compact cameras I have, nor the bridge cameras. But
I have my Moto G3 smartphone with me all the time, and that matters.

--
Cheers,
David
Old March 14th 17, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Monday, 13 March 2017 05:25:37 UTC-4, David Taylor wrote:
On 12/03/2017 23:21, Savageduck wrote:
[]
The compact camera has been surpassed by the smartphone. Currently,
according to Flickr, the iPhone is the most popular *camera* in use.
Personally, in mind, and in wallet, I have made the move from DSLR to
mirrorless.

With the exception of long zoom range, yes.

I too have moved to mirrorless, and am very pleased both with the image
quality, and the reduced size and weight. I can't think when I last
used either of the compact cameras I have, nor the bridge cameras. But
I have my Moto G3 smartphone with me all the time, and that matters.

--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

It does? Why? Everyone and their brother has a phone and is capable of
documentary photography. So unless you find yourself alone a lot of the
time, without a good camera, the phone only matters for communication.

The phone is like a gun in its holster: It's just there then you need it!
--
teleportation kills
Old March 14th 17, 12:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 05:53:51 UTC, android wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

[...]

The phone is like a gun in its holster: It's just there (w)hen you need it!
The phone is like a gun in its holster: It's just there (t)hen you need it!

Which did you actually mean bith seem correct ;-)

Oki...

I'm an android and a sloppy typist! I'm an android and a sloppy typist!
I'm an android and a sloppy typist! I'm an android and a sloppy typist!
I'm an android and a sloppy typist! I'm an android and a sloppy typist!
I'm an android and a sloppy typist! I'm an android and a sloppy typist!
I'm an android and a sloppy typist! I'm an android and a sloppy typist!

Happy? ;-ppp
--
teleportation kills