Application Preferences Don't Stick

Old January 21st 17, 02:55 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Application Preferences Don't Stick

I posted this to the Adobe forums but it drew no responses. I can't say
whether this is a Lightroom problem or a Mac OS problem. I note that LR
CC performs flawlessly on three other Macs in my household, and the
iMac in question is a stellar performer in all other respects,
including the other applications in Adobe Creative Cloud.

"LR Unusable as Preferences Don't Stick"

LR CC 2015 on an up-to-date, recent model iMac. Each time I start LR
the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is newly installed. From
Identity Plate to info display in grid view to side panels, all of my
settings from the previous session are lost.
*
I tried replacing some preferences with those from LR on another iMac,
but it didn't help. I Had to re-identify the LRCAT after replacing
preferences, but there were no other changes.
*
Tips on fixing this problem? Thanks!

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 21st 17, 07:07 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
David Ryeburn

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Each time I start LR the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is newly installed.

I've had this happen with a couple of other applications (not from
Adobe) on otherwise nicely behaving Macs. In desperation I locked each
such preference file before quitting the application in question. This
worked. The only problem is that if I want to change one of those
preferences I have to unlock the preference file, change the preference,
and then lock it again before quitting the application.

Not a satisfactory solution but it does keep me from pulling out what
little hair I have left on my head.

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, change "netz" to "net"
Old January 21st 17, 08:28 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
Each time I start LR the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is
newly installed.

David Ryeburn:
I've had this happen with a couple of other applications (not from
Adobe) on otherwise nicely behaving Macs. In desperation I locked each
such preference file before quitting the application in question. This
worked. The only problem is that if I want to change one of those
preferences I have to unlock the preference file, change the preference,
and then lock it again before quitting the application.

Not a satisfactory solution but it does keep me from pulling out what
little hair I have left on my head.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Interesting solution, which I shall
try at my earliest opportunity. And if it works it will be an
acceptable solution.

Old January 26th 17, 11:06 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Happy.Hobo

On 1/21/17 3:55 AM, Davoud wrote:
LR CC 2015 on an up-to-date, recent model iMac. Each time I start LR
the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is newly installed. From

I've had Finder settings not stick when somehow the .DS_Store became
owned by a different account. So the settings would stay in memory, but
on logout or shutdown, saving them would fail (but the failure is not
reported to the user).
Old January 30th 17, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
LR CC 2015 on an up-to-date, recent model iMac. Each time I start LR
the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is newly installed.

Whisky-dave:
One thing that isn't mentioned much that might be worth try is to repair
preferencies on the Mac.
Done by launching disk untility and repairing prefs.

Are you using an older OS by any chance? Disk Utility doesn't have a
"repair prefs" option. In fact, I don't recall that it ever did. There
was a "repair permissions" option in Yosemite and earlier, but it went
away with El Capitan and later.

In any case, the solution was to de-install Lightroom CC with the Adobe
de-install utility, opting to remove preferences as well, and
re-download from the Creative Cloud "Apps" tab.

Old January 30th 17, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/29/2017 8:32 PM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
LR CC 2015 on an up-to-date, recent model iMac. Each time I start LR
the preferences are lost and it opens as if it is newly installed.

Whisky-dave:
One thing that isn't mentioned much that might be worth try is to repair
preferencies on the Mac.
Done by launching disk untility and repairing prefs.

Are you using an older OS by any chance? Disk Utility doesn't have a
"repair prefs" option. In fact, I don't recall that it ever did. There
was a "repair permissions" option in Yosemite and earlier, but it went
away with El Capitan and later.

In any case, the solution was to de-install Lightroom CC with the Adobe
de-install utility, opting to remove preferences as well, and
re-download from the Creative Cloud "Apps" tab.

An alternative might be to restore preferences quickly using a keyboard
shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or
Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted
to delete the current settings.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776
--
PeterN