Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

Old December 23rd 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John McWilliams wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan Browne wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

You mean there are people posting opinions about the magnetisability
of stainless steel in this thread who don't know what they're talking
about and don't much care? Why would they be doing that?

--
Chris Malcolm

Old December 23rd 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

Well, for over 1500 years it was believed that spiders had six legs
because Aristotle (I think) said they were insects, and ALL insects had
six legs. Surely someone in all those years actually COUNTED the spider
legs....

Of course they did. The problem was that nobody who counted as an
authority did :-)

At least I got curious and took the 'rare earth' magnetic I
keep handy and TESTED to see if the 'stainless steel' cookware my wife
bought was magnetic, and found it was not. Now, just HOW can the label
something with so little iron in it 'steel'?

It contains lots of iron.

Of course, anyone who uses
stainless steel knows that the name 'stainless' is a misnomer also as it
stains quite easily, but rather should be called 'rustless'. But then
if you leave the iron out of it, of course it is rustless! Now I
understand why it is more expensive than a cast iron pot, it is really
nickel, or chromium, both of which are much more expensive.
Amazing what one can learn in this newsgroup.

It's rather less amazing if you do a bit of checking and discard the
nonsense that's so generously offered :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Old December 23rd 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chad Chisolm

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.

If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

Grasshopper, do you not fail to grasp that all involved are the main
resident-trolls? This is what they do. This is how they live out their lives.
Their computer screen and keyboard is all that they have for companionship. Then
people wonder why they go on and on about things that they know nothing about
when it comes to cameras and photography too. They don't own cameras, they only
know how to look up just enough on google to perpetuate their foolish arguments,
to disrupt the exchange of real information from real photographers who have
real experience using real cameras.

Get with the program.

Old December 23rd 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John A.

Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

[...]

Come on, dude. Don't leave us hangin'!
Old December 23rd 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On 23 Dec 2008 04:13:47 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote
in :

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

LOL!

--
Best regards,
John
Old December 23rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:47:48 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote in :

John McWilliams wrote:

You seem to have overlooked those of us who don't much care whether
stainless is magnetizable or not......Though I am open to be persuaded
why I should be. :-)

Well, if my refrigerator were made of a non-magnetic metal, where would
I hang all those nice photos of nieces and nephews?

I'll introduce you to tape coated with adhesive ...

Old December 23rd 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless
steel. More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too.

Oh, puh-leaze. An NG is a free exchange medium, not a knowledge test.
I made the mistake of assuming that stainless steel would always attract
magnets and so did others. And so I learned something and I'm slightly
the richer for it.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 23rd 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Mark Thomas wrote:

Your family life revolves around the fridge - there are messages,
calendars, sentimental trinkets, witty sayings, obscene little trolls
(why did I think of that?), dreamcatchers, reminders, ads for
essential services like Jeff's AirCon Regas, all safe and secure with
their little magnetized backs....

If my life revolves around the fridge it's 'cause of all that yummy food
in there...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 23rd 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Ron Hunter wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:51:04 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless
steel. More likely brushed aluminum.

This might be one of the areas where your wife could teach you a
thing or two. Or not. There are many types of stainless steel
cookware, and many of them don't work on induction ranges.

You are quite right. I just checked our stainless cookware, and it
is NOT magnetic. Somehow, I suspect that there is VERY little iron
in it. Just how much iron must be in something sold as 'steel'? Is
there any labeling requirement?

Bang on it with a hammer and it will likely become attractive to magnets
in the area you hit...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.