Canon Digital Rebel: a low-light point and shoot?

Old December 11th 04, 07:56 PM
Sammiel

Default Canon Digital Rebel: a low-light point and shoot?

Hi,

I'm a big fan of the P&S mode of photography, but I'm not a big fan of
P&S cameras. I own a Canon S400 which is great for carrying everywhere,
but like all cameras with small sensors, it doesn't do too well in low
light conditions.

I understand the Rebel/300D takes excellent shots at ISO1600. Does
anybody have any comments about the viability of shooting handheld, at
night, with this camera? What lens would you recommend (presumably a
fast prime?)?

Sam

Old December 11th 04, 09:02 PM
Michael A. Covington

You can certainly use it as a point-and-shoot camera if you get a fast lens
for it. Something like a 28/2 or 35/2 would be ideal. The Canon 50/1.8 is
very low-priced but is narrower than a "normal" lens for that sensor size
(it's a good portrait lens).

ups.com...

Old December 11th 04, 09:03 PM
andre

Sammiel wrote:
Hi,

I'm a big fan of the P&S mode of photography, but I'm not a big fan of
P&S cameras. I own a Canon S400 which is great for carrying everywhere,
but like all cameras with small sensors, it doesn't do too well in low
light conditions.

I understand the Rebel/300D takes excellent shots at ISO1600. Does
anybody have any comments about the viability of shooting handheld, at
night, with this camera? What lens would you recommend (presumably a
fast prime?)?

Sam

ISO1600 is too high. The rebel still takes better shots than some P&S at
ISO200 but the noise adds quite a bit of grain. You have to run some
noise removal application afterwards. Rather use a tripod if ou want to
get something usable out.
Check out my website. I got tons of nightshots there, all taken with the
rebel on a tripod. Even at 30s exposure times its hard to see any noise.
Had I cranked up the ISO it would look a lot worse.
Since the Lens and the CCD are better (and larger) than with most P&S
you can still do lower iso at lower light levels.
To get started the Kit Lens is all you need.

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Old December 11th 04, 10:26 PM
Tony

I've used Canon film cameras in low light at night. The Elans and EOS 3
mostly but I did use my wife's old Rebel a few times. It did not have the
focus speed I needed for moving shots. I'm not sure if the DRebel would be
any better.

The picture he
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/noct/nn0601.html
was taken with an Elan and P3200 film. Usually with colour film I re-rate
1600 CN to 3200, but it isn't always necessary. For non-moving subjects I
tend to use 100 speed film.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old December 11th 04, 11:39 PM
Todd H.

"Sammiel" writes:

Hi,

I'm a big fan of the P&S mode of photography, but I'm not a big fan of
P&S cameras. I own a Canon S400 which is great for carrying everywhere,
but like all cameras with small sensors, it doesn't do too well in low
light conditions.

I understand the Rebel/300D takes excellent shots at ISO1600. Does
anybody have any comments about the viability of shooting handheld, at
night, with this camera? What lens would you recommend (presumably a
fast prime?)?

I've recently had very good luck shooting at night at ISO 16000 with a
REbel and a 100-300 IS lens taking shots of cityscapes and individual
buildings hand held from a moving dinner cruise vessel!

Their optical image stabilization really friggin works. I was
impressed.

So, go for it, and get some glass that is both fast and features image
stabilization.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.