Canon 1Dmk2 firmware 1.2.l - bug?

Old April 5th 05, 08:46 PM
Carsten Arnholm

Default Canon 1Dmk2 firmware 1.2.l - bug?

After having upgraded my Canon 1D Mark II to the 1.2.l
firmware, second curtain sync does not work on any flashgun.
Yes, the proper menu setting has been made. A friend of mine
has a Canon 1D Mark II also with the 1.2.l firmware - that
camera fires on first curtain only. Yes, menu setting has
been checked and checked again. We have tested this with a
Metz 54MZ-3 and an older Jessop manual flashgun. Both the
Metz 54MZ-3 and the Jessop fires on the second curtain when
tested on a (borrowed) Canon 1Ds Mark II.

My Canon 1D Mark II fired on the second curtain with both
said old Jessop and my Canon 550EX, i.e. prior to upgrading
to the 1.2.l firmware. I did not take note of the version
number of the on delivery installed firmware.

My conclusion was that the 1.2.l firmware had a bug here. My
friend with Canon 1D Mark II has saved the following
firmware upgrades to Canon 1D Mark II:

1D200103.BIN
1D200110.BIN
1D200121.BIN

As 1D200121.BIN obviously (?) was buggy, we tried
"downgrading" to 1.03 and 1.10 - but sync on second curtain
still does not function. Regardless of the menu setting
(fnc. 15), sync is on first curtain only.

Anyone with a similiar experience, and if so, a solution?

Regards,
Carsten J. Arnholm
Oslo - Norway

Old April 6th 05, 02:43 AM
Bill Hilton

Carsten J. Arnholm writes ...

After having upgraded my Canon 1D Mark II to the 1.2.l
firmware, second curtain sync does not work ...
My Canon 1D Mark II fired on the second curtain with both
said old Jessop and my Canon 550EX, i.e. prior to upgrading
to the 1.2.l firmware. ...
My conclusion was that the 1.2.l firmware had a bug here.

Anyone with a similiar experience, and if so, a solution?

I usually keep mine set to 2nd curtain sync unless I'm running hi-speed
sync and haven't noticed a problem, but I did a quick test to see
what's going on, with a 550EX, a 1D Mark II and a 1Ds.

What I see is that the custom function on the camera is ignored, that
is, I don't get 2nd curtain sync if the CF is set but the flash is not
set to this mode (I'm sure that hi-speed sync is off on the flash,
these are incompatible and hi-speed sync no doubt overrides it). I
need to re-read the manual section on flash to make sure there's not a
conflict with this and some other setting, but other than hi-speed sync
there shouldn't be a problem.

If I set the flash to 2nd curtain then it works properly, whether or
not the camera CF is set. It works this way on both the 1D Mark II
(1.1 firmware, which I upgraded myself some time back) or the 1Ds
(original firmware).

The manual clearly states you should be able to set this with the CF
alone so there's some discrepancy here. I never noticed it since I
always set it up via the flash instead of with the camera setting.

I have another 550EX and 1D Mark II (my wife's) and can try them too in
case there's something off with the flash, but for now that's what I'm
seeing, which more or less verifies what you saw, ie, that there is a
problem. Note I have one rev earlier firmware than you.

Bill