Is it repairable on the Surface?

Old June 23rd 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Is it repairable on the Surface?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...bl et_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

Eric Stevens
Old June 23rd 14, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/23/2014 5:55 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...bl et_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

MS is learning from you know who.

--
PeterN
Old June 23rd 14, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old June 24th 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 6/23/14 PDT, 3:37 PM, RichA wrote:
On Monday, June 23, 2014 5:55:11 PM UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...bl et_screen/

just like Apple's junk, it's cheap to make and there is no economic sense in repairing rather than outright replacement.

Apple's products are not "junk", nor cheap to make.

R- You've been blowing that same sad refrain for years, you little
Apple-hater you, and it's more wrong now than five years ago.

--
Max thought the night-time burglary at the California surfing museum
would be a safe caper, but that was before he spotted the security cop
Old June 24th 14, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...oses_crackpron
e_pro_3_tablet_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

who cares.

people buy them to use, not to disassemble.
Old June 24th 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:23:23 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...oses_crackpron
e_pro_3_tablet_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

who cares.

people buy them to use, not to disassemble.

As long as they know that.

Eric Stevens
Old June 24th 14, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/23/2014 9:24 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:23:23 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...oses_crackpron
e_pro_3_tablet_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

who cares.

people buy them to use, not to disassemble.

As long as they know that.

In his/her world repairs are never needed. Just throw out the old and
buy new. Alternatively, pay significantly more than the product is
worth, and they throw in two free replacements.

--
PeterN
Old June 24th 14, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| people buy them to use, not to disassemble.
|
| As long as they know that.
|

| In his/her world repairs are never needed. Just throw out the old and
| buy new. Alternatively, pay significantly more than the product is
| worth, and they throw in two free replacements.

That's the Apple way. Apple just came out with
a slightly cheaper something or other... a laptop,
I think.... that has the RAM soldered in so that people
can't upgrade. The idea seems to be like the crippled
CPUs that Intel and AMD sell: Apple is trying to go for
a wider market that won't pay Apple prices, but they
don't want to actually lower their prices, so they're
taking the cripple approach instead - save $200 but
lose upgradability. (My last CPU was an AMD 3-core.
There's actually no such thing as a 3-core. They crippled
the 4th core and sold it as a different model in order
to sell the stock. I had to go find directions to free
the 4th core.

On the other hand, Microsoft is charging absurd prices
for their tablets with rubber keyboards that aren't good
for much. Even the lapdog NYT review had nothing good
to say about Surface 3. And why should they? It's a
tablet for $1,000+, or it's an overpriced, floppy laptop that
won't stand on your lap. To make matters worse, it's
running Windows 8. Both the OS and the hardware
are trying to be everything while succeeding at nothing.
So anyone who will actually pay the sky-high prices for
a Surface 3 is probably unconcerned with broken screens,
or with money in general. Once they've shown the gadget off
to their friends they'll just probably just give it to their kids
or their dog to play with, anyway.

The Microsofties must get very frustrated. They try to
do everything that Apple does but somehow never manage
to develop an emotionally attached fan base for their shiny,
expensive, forced obsolescence devices. But the trend toward
Apple lowering prices seems to be an indication: With Steve
Jobs the carnival barker gone, the hypnotic effect of Apple
gleamware is gradually wearing off.

Old June 24th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06..._exposes_crack
prone_pro_3_tablet_screen/

0r http://tinyurl.com/ofewu6p

Scored at 1

who cares.

people buy them to use, not to disassemble.

As long as they know that.

In his/her world repairs are never needed. Just throw out the old and
buy new. Alternatively, pay significantly more than the product is
worth, and they throw in two free replacements.

tablets are extremely reliable and will likely be replaced long before
a repair is needed, so throwing in two free replacements is not needed.
what a ludicrous concept. once again, you haven't any clue.

microsoft is even offering up to $650 for people to trade in a mac to
get a surface because they're desperate for market share, which means
people will be paying *less* than the product is worth.

further proof of how completely bogus apple's supposed 10% market share
figure is.
Old June 24th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| people buy them to use, not to disassemble.
|
| As long as they know that.
|
| In his/her world repairs are never needed. Just throw out the old and
| buy new. Alternatively, pay significantly more than the product is
| worth, and they throw in two free replacements.

That's the Apple way.

no it isn't. not even close.

Apple just came out with
a slightly cheaper something or other... a laptop,
I think....

it wasn't a laptop. you can't even get that much right.

that has the RAM soldered in so that people
can't upgrade.

most people don't upgrade so why offer them something they won't use?

it makes no sense.

what does make sense is reduce costs and make the product more reliable.

there are a lot of pcs and other products that have soldered memory and
i don't see you bitching about those. it's just more of your mindless
apple-hatred.

The idea seems to be like the crippled
CPUs that Intel and AMD sell: Apple is trying to go for
a wider market that won't pay Apple prices, but they
don't want to actually lower their prices, so they're
taking the cripple approach instead - save $200 but
lose upgradability.

they did lower the price and the previous model wasn't upgradable
either.

again, most people don't upgrade so there's little reason to offer the
ability.

(My last CPU was an AMD 3-core.
There's actually no such thing as a 3-core. They crippled
the 4th core and sold it as a different model in order
to sell the stock. I had to go find directions to free
the 4th core.

they didn't cripple anything.

3 core chips are chips that didn't pass qa for 4 cores.

you have a defective chip, however, 3 of the 4 cores are still
functional so they might as well sell it.

it's the same for clock speed. slower chips are chips that didn't pass
qa for faster clock speeds.

nothing new there.

On the other hand, Microsoft is charging absurd prices
for their tablets with rubber keyboards that aren't good
for much. Even the lapdog NYT review had nothing good
to say about Surface 3. And why should they? It's a
tablet for $1,000+, or it's an overpriced, floppy laptop that
won't stand on your lap.

hybrids may not be great at either one, but some people insist on them.

it's an interesting concept, it just hasn't been done properly, at
least not yet. that may change.

To make matters worse, it's
running Windows 8.

what did you expect? windows 8 is nearly 2 years old.

also, since it's touch-capable, it needs something beyond win7.

Both the OS and the hardware
are trying to be everything while succeeding at nothing.

yet you want something to be upgradable. that's inconsistent.

apple takes the opposite approach. pick something specific and do it
well, and customers overwhelmingly agree.

So anyone who will actually pay the sky-high prices for
a Surface 3 is probably unconcerned with broken screens,
or with money in general.

outside of abuse, the screens rarely break and the prices are not sky
high either.

the price is actually competitive, especially if you trade in a mac
because they're offering up to $650 off if you trade one in.

Once they've shown the gadget off
to their friends they'll just probably just give it to their kids
or their dog to play with, anyway.

no. they're actually fairly decent for what they are.

they may not be the best choice for someone's needs but that depends on
what they need to do. no product is ideal for everything. nothing new
there.

they certainly are not a dog toy. more idiocy.

The Microsofties must get very frustrated. They try to
do everything that Apple does but somehow never manage
to develop an emotionally attached fan base for their shiny,
expensive, forced obsolescence devices.

wrong.

there are definitely microsoft fanbois, just like any other product or
company.

But the trend toward
Apple lowering prices seems to be an indication: With Steve
Jobs the carnival barker gone, the hypnotic effect of Apple
gleamware is gradually wearing off.

there never was any such thing. even more idiocy.