Cold Temperature ?

Old February 8th 06, 06:27 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

Default Cold Temperature ?

And if it does all work fine for you, you may find you have less noise
in the images than normal at the same ISO setting because of the
reduction in thermal noise.

Cheers,

Wayne
Wayne J. Cosshall
Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

Old February 9th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

Jonathan Sylvestre wrote:
I used my old Canon AE1 in temperature like -10°C (14°F) many times with no
problems.
IM now using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT with a Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM.
Is it a good idea to use my new kit at temperature like -10°C (14°F) or even
colder, for few hours ???
If there is no problems, do you have any praticals ideas to avoid problems
when going back to 22°C (72°F) ??

Jonathan,

It's been about 25 years since I did a lot of winter photography.

As I recall, I had good success with keeping my camera inside my
slightly oversized parka. The camera would be at a nice warm temperature
right up till I wanted to shoot, then I'd zip down, grab the camera and
do a series of photos.

To prevent condensation on the camera due to sweat from my exercising
body, I kept it in a camera case, mostly. With a long telephoto, a lens
cap can protect the front filter from condensation but the eyepiece fogs
quickly.

Extra lenses were kept in a couple of the parka's inside pockets.

No exposure compensation was needed for the film with this method.
Otherwise, with a cold film camera, you'd need to add the right amount
of f-stops to compensate for the cold film. (I painfully remember
taking five photographers to Belgium in the winter for Reforger and
forgetting to tell them to add an f-stop to compensate for the 40 degree
cold. Every frame/roll was one-stop under exposed till I caught on and
push processed the rest of the film.)

Ed
Old February 12th 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

I just returned from Canada ski vacation a month ago (temperatures down
to about +15 F) and Kazakhstan just now (temperatures down to 0 F) and
did not have any problem using my camera (Canon Digital Elph, only a
year old). In Kazakhstan the camera was relatively warm because it was
brought directly from inside a building. In Canada, it was very
definitely cold because it hung around my neck all day, skiing. No
problems, except for fogging upon returning inside, which went away
after 10-15 minutes of exposure to warm air of the room.

Old February 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

"Rudy Benner" wrote:
+15 F is not cold, that is balmy. -40 F is cold.

Only if the wind is blowing... ;-)

wrote in message
roups.com...
I just returned from Canada ski vacation a month ago (temperatures down
to about +15 F) and Kazakhstan just now (temperatures down to 0 F) and
did not have any problem using my camera (Canon Digital Elph, only a
year old). In Kazakhstan the camera was relatively warm because it was
brought directly from inside a building. In Canada, it was very
definitely cold because it hung around my neck all day, skiing. No
problems, except for fogging upon returning inside, which went away
after 10-15 minutes of exposure to warm air of the room.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 12th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

There you go. You must be from Canada too eh?

In 2 weeks, I will be in Honduras taking pretty pictures of fish and stuff;
drinking beer; and being generally obnoxious.

"Floyd Davidson" wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" wrote:
+15 F is not cold, that is balmy. -40 F is cold.

Only if the wind is blowing... ;-)

groups.com...

Old February 12th 06, 11:30 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message
+15 F is not cold, that is balmy. -40 F is cold.

No, absolute 0 Kelvin is cold.

oups.com...

Old February 12th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

Try working in a bucket 60 feet in the air at -40 with a wind. That is cold.

Its so cold that words freeze, during the spring thaw this becomes a real
hazard as the words thaw out. Hearing protection is required.

"Marcus" wrote in message
. ..

"Rudy Benner" wrote in message
+15 F is not cold, that is balmy. -40 F is cold.

No, absolute 0 Kelvin is cold.

oups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

For fog, juste put your camera in a plastic bag.When it is warm, let finish
to dry, out of the bag.

Daniel
-------------------------

Old February 15th 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.nature

I have used my 10D in temps as low as -25C for up to 15 minutes and it
was slow but ok. The kicker was my lens which stopped auto-focussing at
that temp in about 45 seconds..

garry

www.rugbyphoto.com

Cold Temperature ? Jonathan Sylvestre Digital Photography 24 February 15th 06 06:37 PM
Old Omega Cold Light Richard Knoppow In The Darkroom 0 December 31st 05 09:47 PM
Cold weather and shutter Richard Knoppow Large Format Photography Equipment 11 December 19th 05 03:15 AM
Cold weather and shutter Nicholas O. Lindan Large Format Photography Equipment 0 December 13th 05 04:16 PM
Cold Photography Procedures Rob Digital Photography 38 October 18th 04 11:01 PM