New 16 Year-Old Photographer's Website

Old April 8th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default New 16 Year-Old Photographer's Website

I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

Old April 9th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

I love it! The site is set up nice, and it looks like you're having a good
time with the hobby. Keep shooting, keep experimenting, and don't forget to
do one of the most important things: organize and file your images. I have a
ton of photos from high school and I always wished I'd cataloged them a lot
better. (class of 1972...)

BTW, you have no idea how valuable these pictures will become to you and
others as time passes. Make sure you store them and protect them. Include
the names of the subjects, as well. Trust me, you'll forget more of the
names than you could ever realize.

oups.com...

Old April 9th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

The black and whites are very nice, lots of contrast I like that. I also
like that you shoot from odd angles, it makes ordinary subjects look much
more interesting. In the Macro section the dandilion seed puff shots you
could have pulled more detail out of the highlight areas either by shooting
RAW if your camera supports it or by making a copy of the image to a new
layer in something like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements and then
changing the blending mode to Multiply. It still gives the sun effect but
provides more detail to the seed puff.

In the animals section I like the lizard shot from the tail to the front.
Very interesting and not an angle that I have seen used before.

I would also suggest that you put a copyright notice on the bottom of all of
your shots. You want to protect you hard work.

=(8)

Old April 9th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

What camera do you have? What photo editing software are you using? And, yes
the site is very nicely done.

=(8)

Old April 9th 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

wrote:
I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

I enjoyed browsing your site...including your funky videos and images. Very
creative and fun.

-MarkČ
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old April 11th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
I love it! The site is set up nice, and it looks like you're having a good
time with the hobby. Keep shooting, keep experimenting, and don't forget to
do one of the most important things: organize and file your images. I have a
ton of photos from high school and I always wished I'd cataloged them a lot
better. (class of 1972...)

Same year as me. But in my case, what I wish is that I didn't have
these *gaps* in my good cataloging. In 1972 the cataloging was about at
its peak. It lasted until maybe 1984, but then got quite bad until I
went to digital in 2000.

BTW, you have no idea how valuable these pictures will become to you and
others as time passes. Make sure you store them and protect them. Include
the names of the subjects, as well. Trust me, you'll forget more of the
names than you could ever realize.

And take pictures of dull every-day things that you work with a lot. In
my particular case I only have a very few pictures of the computers I
was learning to program then, and I wish I had more. And I have *no*
pictures of the cameras I used or the darkrooms I worked in, and I wish
I did. And few contemporary pictures of the buildings I saw frequently
and found kinda interesting, or worked in, or lived in (most of them are
still around, but pictures from back then would be better).

This, incidentally, is great advice for any snapshooters, not just
serious photographers.

Old April 11th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote:
I'm new to photography and I just started a website to post my
pictures. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

http://web.mac.com/james.gurtner/

You're a lot better than *I* was when *I* was 16 (and that was about a
year after I started getting serious about photography, so it kinda even
means something, at least to me).

I like basically *all* the images; except IMG_6633 (and, by the way,
it's hard to get your site to give me any identifying name for any of
the images, I had to dig down a bit to get that above), where the light
emphasizes the contours on the shirt in uninteresting ways, and I don't
like the face being so hidden (if other parts of the photo were supposed
to attract and hold my attention, they didn't do it).