Newbie question

Old April 1st 05, 10:43 PM

Default Newbie question

Does anybody know the volume of chemistry required for the following
Cibachrome drums:
8x10, 11x14, and 16x20?
And, is there a trick to draining the first solution? Does it drain
through the little teeth or do you have to take the top off in the
dark?
Thanks
Jim Worthington

Old April 1st 05, 11:24 PM
Mono

wrote in news:1112391839.174265.171700
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Does anybody know the volume of chemistry required for the following
Cibachrome drums:
8x10, 11x14, and 16x20?
And, is there a trick to draining the first solution? Does it drain
through the little teeth or do you have to take the top off in the
dark?
Thanks
Jim Worthington

Jim -

There are people who never throw anything away - and a lot of them lurk
on these boards.

I have a couple of 1980's vintage Cibachrome publications. One is a
1982 book, while the other appears to be the instructions that came in a
kit around 1986. They contain similar - but slightly different
information on drum volume.

1982 Book 1986 leaflet
4a5 drum 30 ml 29 ml
8x10 drum 75 ml 75 ml
11x14 drum 150 ml 150 ml
16x20 drum 360 ml 300 ml

The 8x10 and 11x14 numbers are consistent, and the 4x5 figures are close
enough to say they are the same. Actually, the 4x5 drum was sold as part
of a newbie kit aimed, I think, at the US market, and the volume was
given in both publications as 1 ounce - which is almost exactly halfway
between 29 and 30 ml.

The 16x20 numbers look strangely different. Frankly, based on the
correlation for the other sizes, I would be suspicious that one of the
publications contains a typographical error - 0 and 6 look similar, and a
non-photographer type setter could easily have mixed things up.

I have the 4x5 drum - and its design is based on the premise that you
pour the chemicals into the funnel end while holding the drum vertically.
They are captured in a cup held under the funnel until you turn the drum
on its side, whereupon the chemical moves through the "teeth" at the edge
of the cup and into the drum proper. When you get to the end of each
step, you shift the drum from the horizontal (rolling) position back to
the vertical position, whereupon the dead chemicals drain out the spout
at the same time that you pour the next chemical into the funnel.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the larger Cibachrome drums - I used a
Unicolor drum to process larger Cibachromes.

Good luck.

Louie