RAW format

Old December 2nd 04, 12:34 AM
mark b

Default RAW format

I've got a Fuji S7000 which has an optional RAW setting.
Haven't used it yet as on max resolution it wants 12 to 13Mb of memory.

What are the advantages of RAW over .jpg's ?

Thanks

mark b

Old December 2nd 04, 09:35 AM
Les Goodwin

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:34:59 -0000, "mark b"
wrote:

I've got a Fuji S7000 which has an optional RAW setting.
Haven't used it yet as on max resolution it wants 12 to 13Mb of memory.

What are the advantages of RAW over .jpg's ?

*if* I understand it correctly the RAW setting is just that it's the
raw data.
JPG is a compressed format.
--

regards
Les
Old December 2nd 04, 09:40 AM
Damir Ulovec

"mark b" wrote in message
I've got a Fuji S7000 which has an optional RAW setting.
Haven't used it yet as on max resolution it wants 12 to 13Mb of memory.

What are the advantages of RAW over .jpg's ?

Thanks

mark b

In a few words, it's lossless format. Uncompressed picture format (instead
of JPEG's).
Pretty "heavy" files, useful especially for professionals.
Look at this as WAV against MP3, or VOB against AVI (DivX).

Cheers

Old December 2nd 04, 05:27 PM
Frank ess

wrote:

I've got a Fuji S7000 which has an optional RAW setting.
Haven't used it yet as on max resolution it wants 12 to 13Mb of
memory.

What are the advantages of RAW over .jpg's ?

*if* I understand it correctly the RAW setting is just that it's the
raw data.
JPG is a compressed format.

RAW data from the sensor, with no in-camera processing (contrast,
saturation, sharpening, etc.)

--
Frank ess