Bell+Howell 10.0 Mega Pixel Digital Camera

Old November 19th 04, 03:44 PM
ilyaburshteyn

Default Bell+Howell 10.0 Mega Pixel Digital Camera

I saw an advertisement for this camera in a news magazine. I have seen
some TV adds from this company and they claim to have been around for
years and their name is familiar, but I haven't bought or owned
anything they've made. Note that I am aware of anyway.

In any case they sell a 10 mega pixel digital camera for $400, that's
a great price, but I can't find any info from people that have owned
this camera or even their 6 MP model.

This is a link to the camera information on their site
http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1038
If anyone has used this or knows anything about (good or bad) please
speak up.

Thanks for your info if any, I appreciate it.
Old November 19th 04, 04:49 PM
Robert Klemme

"ilyaburshteyn" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
I saw an advertisement for this camera in a news magazine. I have seen
some TV adds from this company and they claim to have been around for
years and their name is familiar, but I haven't bought or owned
anything they've made. Note that I am aware of anyway.

In any case they sell a 10 mega pixel digital camera for $400, that's
a great price, but I can't find any info from people that have owned
this camera or even their 6 MP model.

This is a link to the camera information on their site
http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1038
If anyone has used this or knows anything about (good or bad) please
speak up.

Thanks for your info if any, I appreciate it.

I don't know that model but from what I see I'd discourage you from buying
it. Reasons:

- the sensor is described as 5MP sensor, i.e. no 10Mio pixel; although a
certain amount of interpolation can be done, image quality will likely not
reach the quality of a 10MP sensor camera

- the sensor is quite small which increases likelyhood of noise (although
not necessarily at ISO 200, which brings me to the next issue

- ISO 200 is not much. I have a Kyocera with 4MP that costs about 250EUR
(roughly the same in USD) that can do ISO 800 - with considerable noise
but then it's ultra compact.

10MP is just a marketing gimmick and has no real value in this cam. Also,
I haven't seen this brand before. Considering all this $400 seems to be
too expensive. Better get yourself a cheaper 3 or 4 MP cam from a vendor
known for cameras for some time (Canon, Minolta etc.)

My 0.02EUR

Regards

robert

Old November 19th 04, 07:46 PM
Toomas

I must add that they say that internal 16MB memory could
get 109 pictures depending from resolution. For comparison
My 3MP Olympus C-3030 could store more than 100 pics
only when I set resolution to 640x480 and quality set to=20
normal. High quality 2048x1536 only 6.

And You can get real 5MP camera less than $400. I checked=20
and for example Canon Powershot A95 cost about or little more
than $300

Toomas

"Robert Klemme" wrote in message =
=20
=20

Old November 20th 04, 05:35 PM
David Sommers

From the information on the web site, I'd say it was a piece of hyped
marketing crap. As was pointed out, it has a small 5MP sensor that's being
faked up to 10MP. And how many 10MP shots can you put in its huge 16MB
internal memory? Maybe two or three. Plus they only get ISO200 out of this
think. I say it was created to appeal to the totally naive.

I say buy a real $400 digicam with a name like Sony, Canon, Olympus, Nikon,
Pentax or Minolta.

Bye.

om...

Old November 21st 04, 04:46 PM
Alan

"David Sommers" wrote in message
From the information on the web site, I'd say it was a piece of hyped
[...]

I have to say I have heard of Bell & Howell, but not as camera manufacturers
!! Thay used to, probably still do, make darkroom equipment, enlargers etc.
so ... you pays your money, you takes your chance .. I agree with the
others, go for a recognised brand name

Al

Old November 21st 04, 06:27 PM
KC

I totally agree with what has been said before.

I work in Canada for the leading national photography chain.

We sell ( and take in repairs) for all the leading brands of cameras.
We do NOT however, deal with Bell and Howell and hopefully never will.

IMHO this is a heap of crap.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
ilyaburshteyn

Yeah, that was what I figured, although this company makes some pricy
commercial printing and optical equipment, they tried to pass a peace
of crap as a camera.

Thanks for the posts, I personally would only buy a digital camera
from a major brand (I own a Sony digital SLR and a Kodak digital point
and shoot).

Just in case someone has actually used one of these cameras from Bell
and Howell, I am still curious to know about your experience.
Old November 22nd 04, 11:05 PM
KC

Well I've seen a lot of broken ones!

And also they feel like crap when you have them in your hand, really
"cheap".