Olympus Leads the Japanese MILC Run

Old January 17th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Olympus Leads the Japanese MILC Run

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...inues-to-domin
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

Activities
Research and report on IT market
Managing IT industrial news website "BCN Bizline"
Company marketing and related material development

So it's an IT oriented newservice... OKI?

Aah, IT oriented news service, folks who don’t do much photography.

An old calculator can sum up sales figures. FujiFilm ain't even on the
map back in their homeland apperantly...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Solar-calculator.jpg

Who cares about sales figures?

I do, along with lots of other people - for example, Pentax users.
It's already become a problem, with fewer and fewer 3d party lens
makers, for instance. And it's not just the 3d parties, if Pentax
itself folds, there is no more support for anything, and no future at
all.

The bottom line is, having a camera which delivers great IQ, and performance
while being enjoyable to use. For me Fujifilm delivers that without the over
the top pricing of Canon, Nikon, and Sony. This is from somebody who has
spent considerable cash on Nikon DSLRs and glass.

I think Fuji is a considerably more robust than Pentax, so you
shouldn't have to worry.
Old January 17th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-17 19:41:19 +0000, Bill W said:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...inues-to-domin
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

[...]

Maybe they should merge? Fuji is the holy mountain of Japan and some
Japanese could consider it heresy to put that name on a camera, and
some mainland Asians may have some lingering bitterness since the WWII
and might avoid such a brand for that association. Pentax OTOH is a
brand of heritage and used to be popular with the masses world wide...
--
teleportation kills

Old January 17th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 17, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...ntinues-to-dom
in
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

Activities
Research and report on IT market
Managing IT industrial news website "BCN Bizline"
Company marketing and related material development

So it's an IT oriented newservice... OKI?

Aah, IT oriented news service, folks who don’t do much photography.

An old calculator can sum up sales figures. FujiFilm ain't even on the
map back in their homeland apperantly...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Solar-calculator.jpg

Who cares about sales figures?

I do, along with lots of other people - for example, Pentax users.
It's already become a problem, with fewer and fewer 3d party lens
makers, for instance. And it's not just the 3d parties, if Pentax
itself folds, there is no more support for anything, and no future at
all.

I agree. The financial health of any consumer oriented business is dependant
on sales. Photographers, pro, enthusiasts, and snap-shooters are the target
consumer groups being carved up by the various camera maufacturers. However,
there are other factors at play with the various production philosophies, and
the cameras on offer to us, the folks feeding those corporations. In the case
of Pentax, there is only Pentax to blame for their current precarious
position.
....and the inroads into the photography consumer pie that cameras in smart
phones have made cannot be denied.

I have nothing against Pentax, as a teenager my first SLR was a Pentax. The
only 35mm cameras I own today are a K1000, and a 49 year old Yashica
Electro35. When I made the move to the digital world I was drawn to what
Nikon had to offer, because Yashica had died, and Pentax had nothing to offer
which matched Nikon, or Canon at that time. Currently it is Fujifilm which
meets my photography needs, both from an economic, and a cost perspective. I
might well have moved to Olympus, but Fujifilm with the quality glass
available, and their Kaizen philosophy adding value, and function with
firmware updates/upgrades has gained my following. Pentax might have regained
my following if they had offered a product to push me back into their fold.
As to what the future holds for them, and their slice of the pie without some
sort of paradigm shift on their part, I could not say. For me, Fujifilm made
that paradigm shift 6 years ago and ran with it, gaining me three years ago.
Nikon is vanishing over the horizon of unaffordability.

The bottom line is, having a camera which delivers great IQ, and performance
while being enjoyable to use. For me Fujifilm delivers that without the over
the top pricing of Canon, Nikon, and Sony. This is from somebody who has
spent considerable cash on Nikon DSLRs and glass.

I think Fuji is a considerably more robust than Pentax, so you
shouldn't have to worry.

Sadly, I have to agree, though it would be nice to see Pentax do something
exciting, there is just too much from the photographic past that is gone.

Savageduck

Old January 17th 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , PeterN says...

And sales volume has little relationship to the IQ, and photography
techniques. Sales volume data is better posted in an investment
discussion group.

The thread is on topic. It's about digital cameras.
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 17th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 19:41:19 +0000, Bill W said:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...ontinues-to-do
min
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

[...]

Nope!

Fuji is the holy mountain of Japan and some Japanese could consider it heresy to put that name on a camera,

They haven’t, and it doesn’t look like they would. The company is
Fujifilm, not Fuji, and in Japan there are hundreds, if not thousands of
products and businesses with “Fuji” in their names.

and some mainland Asians may have some lingering bitterness since the WWII
and might avoid such a brand for that association.

So far that does not seem to have happened. Fujifilm is doing just fine in
Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, even Australia.

Pentax OTOH is a brand of heritage and used to be popular with the masses world wide...

Sadly yes. My K1000 will attest to that. However, Fujifilm has a
photographic, imaging, and optics heritage as long, if not longer than
Pentax.
http://www.fujifilm.com/about/history/corporate_history/

....and now we have the spectre of a full Fuji Xerox merger.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/11/xerox-deal-talk-fujifilm-japan/

Savageduck

Old January 18th 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 1/17/2018 1:33 AM, android wrote:
It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-rankings-are-out-canon-continues-to-dominate-dslrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

I think it's interesting that this topic goes on and on about camera
makes *other* than Olympus. I take it that there aren't many (if any)
Olympus users in this group, so I'll chime in with my 2 cents.

In film cameras, I have 3 makes: Olympus, Leica and Rolleiflex. I was
always drawn to Olympus' superior technology when it came to compact
design (OM-1, very durable, compact and reliable) metering (OM-4 is
unique in this respect), and image quality. Its lenses aren't the best
that I have, but then I have lenses for my Leica and Rollei that each
cost more than a few entire Olympus kits. However, unlike my Zeiss,
Leica and Schneider lenses, the Olympus' delivers consistent contrast
over the range of stops. I realize this implies some compromises, but it
makes it easier to use DOF as the primary variable when framing and
shooting.

In digital cameras, I have Nikon and Olympus. The Olympus is superior in
every way, from the available options to the structure of its menu,
making significant changes easy and fast.

So, it doesn't surprise me in the least that those who are dedicated to
photography find themselves drawn to the Olympus line.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old January 18th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 13:46:56 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:56:31 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 12:08:55 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 17, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-01-17 06:55:24 +0000, Savageduck said:

On Jan 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article :

It's still a prosumer game...

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...ntinues-to-dom
in
at
e-d
slrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

BCN - Barcelona Airport does camera rankings for Canon Rumors?

That figures.

From the about on the Business Computer News, BCN homepage:

[...]

I bought my first real (film) camera around 1990. I believe Pentax,
Canon & Nikon were the big 3, with Pentax being the "value" choice. As
time went on, it started to look like Pentax was fading as an option
for serious photography. But it happened slowly, and my collection of
Pentax stuff grew, so it became increasingly expensive to switch.
Countless people are in the same boat, and I suppose we'll all move
over at some point.

I wish I had taken more interest earlier than I did. I might have
understood that lenses made for digital have serious benefits, and it
would have been less painful to switch brands when I switched to
digital.

I don't think Pentax has any chance to recover. Oh well, maybe when
it's finally time, AF in the ILC's will catch up to the Canikon
DSLR's, and the wait will have been beneficial. I still like shooting
fast things.
Old January 18th 18, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 17, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...es-to-dominate
-dslrs-further-growth-in-mirrorless/

http://tinyurl.com/y9ukoluy

I think it's interesting that this topic goes on and on about camera
makes *other* than Olympus. I take it that there aren't many (if any)
Olympus users in this group, so I'll chime in with my 2 cents.

I believe we have one or two regulars in this NG who are Olympus users. The
majority are divided between Nikon and Canon.

In film cameras, I have 3 makes: Olympus, Leica and Rolleiflex. I was
always drawn to Olympus' superior technology when it came to compact
design (OM-1, very durable, compact and reliable) metering (OM-4 is
unique in this respect), and image quality. Its lenses aren't the best
that I have, but then I have lenses for my Leica and Rollei that each
cost more than a few entire Olympus kits. However, unlike my Zeiss,
Leica and Schneider lenses, the Olympus' delivers consistent contrast
over the range of stops. I realize this implies some compromises, but it
makes it easier to use DOF as the primary variable when framing and
shooting.

As I said earlier, my film cameras are currently a Pentax K1000, and a
Yashica Electro35. I envy your Leica, and Rolleiflex.

In digital cameras, I have Nikon and Olympus. The Olympus is superior in
every way, from the available options to the structure of its menu,
making significant changes easy and fast.

In the digital World I was first drawn to Nikon, and when it came time to
move on, Olympus was for me a viable option along with Fujifilm. After
considerable head scratching and making comparisons, I decided on Fujifilm
for many of the same reasons you have stuck with Olympus. I have only been a
Fujifilm user for three years, and I could not be happier with my choice. Had
I decided on Olympus three years ago I have no doubt that I would have been
just as happy.

So, it doesn't surprise me in the least that those who are dedicated to
photography find themselves drawn to the Olympus line.

To be fair, those dedicated to photography find themselves, for different
reasons, drawn to the entire spectrum of great image producing machines
including, but not limited to Olympus, Fujifilm, Nikon, Canon, Leica,
PhaseOne, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax, Hasselblad, and others. It is just that
many of us, pro, or enthusiast have made our choices, and in some cases have
made a considerable investment in cameras, and glass.

Savageduck

Old January 18th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 1/17/2018 10:53 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 17, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

No doubt that brand choices are made for various reasons, and some of
the makes are comparable in most ways. I was fortunate, in that all of
my kits paid for themselves through the work that I did with them. In
terms of image quality, I think that lenses make the biggest difference.

In the digital world, I'd say that ease of use is pretty important,
since they're all less efficient than film cameras. So, control
placement, menu structure, and a well thought out user interface are the
most important factors to me.

I've never been a fan of autofocus, finding it more of a compositional
hindrance than a benefit. When combined with a varifocal lens, the
camera becomes pretty useless to me. So, my choices are mostly for the
least frustrating kits!

--
best regards,

Neil
Old January 18th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 18, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

http://www.canonrumors.com/bcn-ranki...nues-to-domina
[...]

I have always been an enthusiast/hobbyist, never a pro, and you are correct,
lenses make the biggest difference.

In the digital world, I'd say that ease of use is pretty important,
since they're all less efficient than film cameras. So, control
placement, menu structure, and a well thought out user interface are the
most important factors to me.

....and that is one of the characteristics of the Fujifilm X-Series that I
find appealing.

I've never been a fan of autofocus, finding it more of a compositional
hindrance than a benefit. When combined with a varifocal lens, the
camera becomes pretty useless to me. So, my choices are mostly for the
least frustrating kits!

I have several (4) Fujinon primes, and I find that I use MF much more than
with my Nikon DSLRs. The thing which makes MF so easy for me is the Focus
Peaking feature. Currently my most used lenses are the XF16mm f/1.4, and the
XF23mm f/2.0.

Savageduck