ORWO b&w film?

Old March 4th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default ORWO b&w film?

"alkos" wrote in message
Actually, you had some choice I presume - Svema 64 and couple of Fotopans

Well...FOTOPAN (Polish film) was really bad (even for fanboys of the bizarre
and unusual :-))) In the 60s it was an emulsion than any respectable film
maker would be ashamed of in 1935. The Soviet brand was a tad better, but
very inconsistent: I have seen a number of films only partially coated with
emulsion and one with a big human hair embedded in the photosensitive layer.
All these films were not sharp, would fog easily, had strange contrast
characteristics (too soft or too hard) and were very inconsistent from batch
to batch.

And then there was FORTE - a bit too contrasty in my book but not too bad
for the '70s - IMO preferable to any of the above films.

--
eM eLThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Old March 4th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

eM eL wrote:

Well...FOTOPAN (Polish film) was really bad (even for fanboys of the bizarre
and unusual :-))) In the 60s it was an emulsion than any respectable film
maker would be ashamed of in 1935. The Soviet brand was a tad better, but
very inconsistent:

From my limited experience (i've started playing with photography in
mid nineties), it was on the contrary. Svema films were better by only
one factor: I was able to buy dozens of non-spooled rolls for a song,
directly from private importers on the town's market

I have seen a number of films only partially coated with
emulsion

I've seen one like that too. After development.

and one with a big human hair embedded in the photosensitive layer.

Funny. Was it curly? ;-)

All these films were not sharp, would fog easily, had strange contrast
characteristics (too soft or too hard) and were very inconsistent from batch
to batch.

Indeed.

cheers,

the fanboy of the bizarre and unusual, alkos
--
"go out, burn some film!"
24x36 at op pl
Old March 4th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"alkos" wrote ... the fanboy of the bizarre and unusual

http://pad.go.pl

This is some superb photography. Recommended.

Really recommended.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com

Old March 4th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

http://pad.go.pl

This is some superb photography. Recommended.

Really recommended.

Thanx

cheers

alkos
--
"go out, burn some film!"
24x36 at op pl
Old March 4th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

This is some superb photography. Recommended.

Really recommended.

You can say that again.

Really. :-)

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher - DL9KCG - Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
Old March 5th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"nailer" wrote in message
just remember one of Fotopan films was licensed from Ilford HP-4.

Well...But that's the late '70s / early 80s story (if at all...) I started
playing with photography around 1968 and got really serious about it in
1970. Fotopan (there were two "F" and "S" 18 and 22 DIN respectively, if my
memory serves me) THEN was a piece of crap (and I'm being very charitable
here...) Ilford HP4 was then my material of choice but with an average
salary of about $50/month (black market "fair" exchange rate) one couldn't
buy many of these :-))) and I can tell you that no Fotopan EVER has even
came close to HP4.

Foton photo paper OTOH was OK - deep blacks, nice gloss, lotsa silver -
better than ORWO, FOMA or FORTEPAN, approaching older Agfas in image quality
(if not consistency and QC...)

--
eM eLThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Old March 6th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

eM eL wrote:

Hmmm...I was given two cans of both films and run some quick tests.
I have no idea what kind of work you do (and to what standards) but IMO both
UN 54 and (especially) the N74 can be only compared in terms of image
quality to lower end products, such as Ilford Academy or FOMA but never to
Ilford Delta films.

I loaded two M-Leicas with Delta 400 and N74 and exposed both rolls
(switching the lens) while going for a walk in the woods. Did the same
with UN54 and APX100. After developing to the same CI using the same
developer (with different times of course) I enlarged several exposures from
both films to 20x30cm and compared them. Seems practical enough for me.

Martin
Old March 6th 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Martin Jangowski wrote:

Seems practical enough for me.

Never mind, Martin. Michael's pathological bashing for everything from
the East has been known for years on all Usenet photo newsgroups.

Ralf

Old March 6th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Martin Jangowski" wrote in message

I loaded two M-Leicas with Delta 400 and N74 and exposed both rolls
(switching the lens) while going for a walk in the woods. Did the same
with UN54 and APX100. After developing to the same CI using the same
developer (with different times of course) I enlarged several exposures
from
both films to 20x30cm and compared them. Seems practical enough for me.

You didn't answer any points I've raised in my post...

Also, upon rereading your post I'm additionally amused by the part talking
about grain in N74

the fast layer uses something similar to T-crystals.

It's either T-grain (delta, whatever) or not. And if it indeed is another
way of obtaining T-grain, they should have patented it and should have made
a really big deal out of it (because it would be a big deal in our
circles...) Alas, IMO, it's pure PR...

Remember FOMA? Some their products are banned from the US market precisely
because of their T-grain patent infringements.

--
eM eL

Old March 6th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

eM eL wrote:

Unfortunately the internet in general and USENET newsgroups in particular
are often used by companies to crypto-market their products using paid and
volunteer "fanboys."

Not only do you have a pathological hatred of everything from the East,
you also suffer from a most obvious case of paranoia as can be seen
clearly from the above.

Ralf