Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

Old February 20th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

In article , PeterN
wrote:

LR does not read all of my PSD files. does that mean your statement
applies to Adobe?

it should.

I agree that it should, but it doesn't.

why not find out why it doesn't.

what is different about the unreadable psd files?
what did adobe say when you asked them why it isn't working as expected?
Old February 20th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Savageduck[_3_]

PeterN wrote:
On 2/20/2018 12:17 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:07:27 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Paul wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS. i.e.
used by the graphic kernel.
Not being a Windows user, I don¹t understand this idea of holding on to the
BMP format when there are much better ways to go.
don't lump all windows users based on the actions of a few.

I know. As far as I know we only have a single BMP obsessed Windows user in
this NG.

So you've never run into a situation before, where a
tool doesn't support the entire spectrum of file formats ?

Fortunately for me, no.

For Mac users we have a very neat piece of software, “Graphic Converter”
which pretty much does that job. It can dig up some pretty obscure file
formats.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
needs.

I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.

I know of no software which can read them all.

I am sad to report that even Graphic Converter couldn’t be bothered with
Corel Photo Paint.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/key-features/import-and-export-formats/

...and if Corel couldn’t bother to have compatibility between their own
apps, it tells you all you need to know about Corel, and CPT.

LR does not read all of my PSD files. does that mean your statement
applies to Adobe?

Which of your PSD files does LR not read?

I use PSD, PSB, and TIFF, layered, and not, interchangeably between PS CC,
and LR C CC without issue. So in my case, my statement above does not apply
to Adobe.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| I use CorelDraw occasionally, but never as a drawing program. If I
| want to do a composite of several .jpgs, CorelDraw is the easiest
| program around to work with. The images can be moved around,
| re-sized, overlapped, etc much easier than the same thing can be done
| in CC 2018, but I do all of the editing of the images in CC 2018
| before importing them into CorelDraw. The final composite is exported
| as a .jpg.

I guess I do all of that in PSP. I've never actually
tried something like Corel Draw or Inkscape. Th artist
I mentioned often does things like drawings of
hundreds of pipes in a highrise basement. (Don't ask
me why. He likes industrial images. I get the
impression he's doing a lot of illustration + photos.

I often make diagrams in PSP, but nothing close
to illustration. But I was actually working on something
like you mentioned just now. I have a bath renovation
project coming up. The customers fell overwhelmed
by tile choices. One wants marble. The other likes
a sandstone look. So to help give them ideas I
downloaded several images with travertine marble
in them, snipped some areas, pasted them to a
background, and did a white wash over one of them.
The result is a small image showing the range of
color options they might find that will combine
the feeling of marble and sandstone.

I've never used anything but PSP to do such things. I
did try PS5, many years ago, but since it was almost
the same as PSP for 5-6 times the cost, I never paid
much attention to PS again.

I would have thought the big appeal in CC/CS/PS
would be the filters. Anything else it offers can
be done with other, much cheaper tools, no? I
haven't really used filters for many years. 3D buttons
and swirls and watercolor effects are neat, but of
limited value. Mostly I only use layers, simple drawing,
and tools to improve images, like color balance, brighten,
sharpen, etc.

Old February 20th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I would have thought the big appeal in CC/CS/PS
would be the filters. Anything else it offers can
be done with other, much cheaper tools, no?

no. not even close to true.

I haven't really used filters for many years. 3D buttons
and swirls and watercolor effects are neat, but of
limited value. Mostly I only use layers, simple drawing,
and tools to improve images, like color balance, brighten,
sharpen, etc.

in other words, photoshop is well above what you do.
Old February 20th 18, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:17:51 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:07:27 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Paul wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

Corel have a lot of convertability but this case it seems there is a
fundamental incompatility in the underlying structure of the files.
There is too much of one which has no equivalent in the other.

Eric Stevens
Old February 20th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:30:04 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS.
i.e. used by the graphic kernel.

Not being a Windows user, I don1t understand this idea of holding on to
the BMP format when there are much better ways to go.

don't lump all windows users based on the actions of a few.

I know. As far as I know we only have a single BMP obsessed Windows user in
this NG.

yep, and apparently not the only one.

Haw!

The only one is not the only one.

Would you like to reconsider?

reread it one more time, this time very slowly.

You shouldn't have put the 'yep' at the beginning of your answer. That
way you were confirming that "we only have a single BMP obsessed
Windows user in this NG."

Eric Stevens
Old February 20th 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
ultred ragnusen

"M.L." wrote:

Do you know of Windows freeware that has the option to easily lock in a 3:2
or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping?

Photoscape 3.7
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...otoScape.shtml

1.) select Crop (tab)
2.) assign Ratio/Size-Ratio (checkbox)
3.) enter width / height (ratio)-OK
4.) select crop area
5.) select Crop (button)
6.) Save (button)

Crop ratio will remain sticky.

Thanks for that suggestion of PhotoScape, which has a fantastically
intuitive crop locked to aspect ratio mechanism, akin to that of FastOne.

Here's my installation log, where I ran into minor bugs, one of which is
that I must have missed a stop to force the crop ratio to remain sticky
between sessions.

0.) Tried to locate the canonical installer but none seem to exist.
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php
1.) Saved to C:\software\editor\pic\photoscape\PhotoScapeSetup_ V3.7.exe
2.) Executed PhotoScapeSetup_V3.7.exe
3.) Pressed "Options" to [attempt to] change installation location from
C:\Program Files (x86)\PhotoScape\
C:\apps\editor\pic\photoscape\
4.) At that point, a minor bug revealed itself in that the installer
is completely incapable of creating that folder on its own.
The installer insists on C:\apps\editor\pic\PhotoScape
(yes, this is literally what the installer insists upon but I
never use case on Windows for reasons that are long standing)
5.) So I manually created the folder C:\apps\editor\pic\photoscape\
6.) When I re-ran the installer, it accepted that predefined location
7.) Pressing "I agree", I turned off the "Install Chrome" bundleware option
8.) Pressing "Next" installs PhotoScape which phones home to
http://photoscape.org/ps/main/afterinstall.php?v=3.7
using the default browser (which is set to Opera for this reason)
9.) I moved the desktop shortcut to my menus and started the tool
BELOW IS SUPPOSED TO BE A ONE-TIME SETUP FOR 4:3 CROP:
10.) I selected the top-bar "Editor" tab & opened a JPEG file
11.) I selected the bottom-bar "Crop" tab
12.) I changed the default "Crop Freely" to "Assign Ratio/Size"
13.) I changed the default "[x]Size Setting" to "[x]Ratio Setting"
14.) Oddly, even though there are many preset sizes, 4:3 isn't one of them
15.) I changed the "Width:Height" ratio from 1:1 to 4:3 & pressed OK
ABOVE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A ONE-TIME SETUP FOR 4:3 CROP:
16.) The crop is fantastically intuitive, click, click, crop!
17.) Moving the crop location is also fantastically intuitive!
18.) Adjusting the crop area is also fantastically intuitive!

What I love about the PhotoScape crop, once the setup is complete (and if
we can figure out how to make it sticky), is that the crop is as it should
be. Click, click, Crop.

Moving or adjusting the size of the crop is also as intuitive as it should
be, with just the left mouse button and drag points involved.

Overall, the main problem is that the crop ratio wasn't sticky
between sessions. I see the crop ratio is supposed to remain sticky between
sessions but it didn't remain for me.

Also, I never understand why an app such as PhotoScape doesn't show up in
the Windows "open with" menu, but I pointed it to the file location for
the exe (C:\apps\editor\pic\photoscape\PhotoScape.exe) and then it's only
a few clicks to force Microsoft Windows to notice it after Microsoft
picks apps that I never want to use first.

The installation bugs were minor.

Old February 21st 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 17:43:18 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that
OS.
i.e. used by the graphic kernel.

Not being a Windows user, I don1t understand this idea of holding on
the BMP format when there are much better ways to go.

don't lump all windows users based on the actions of a few.

I know. As far as I know we only have a single BMP obsessed Windows
user in this NG.

yep, and apparently not the only one.

Haw!

The only one is not the only one.

Would you like to reconsider?

reread it one more time, this time very slowly.

You shouldn't have put the 'yep' at the beginning of your answer. That
way you were confirming that "we only have a single BMP obsessed
Windows user in this NG."

comprehension fail.

You explain it then.

The technical term is 'parse'.

Eric Stevens
Old February 21st 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Not being a Windows user, I don1t understand this idea of holding
on to the BMP format when there are much better ways to go.

don't lump all windows users based on the actions of a few.

I know. As far as I know we only have a single BMP obsessed Windows
user in this NG.

yep, and apparently not the only one.

Haw!

The only one is not the only one.

Would you like to reconsider?

reread it one more time, this time very slowly.

You shouldn't have put the 'yep' at the beginning of your answer. That
way you were confirming that "we only have a single BMP obsessed
Windows user in this NG."

comprehension fail.

You explain it then.

The technical term is 'parse'.

that explains why. english is not source code that is parsed.

you are incapable of understanding context.