HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

Old September 20th 04, 05:09 AM
Bob Headrick

"Agent Orange" wrote in message

There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

Not true. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpa00113

There certainly are warranty issues - you cannot expect a printer manufacturer
to cover damage you cause.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Old September 20th 04, 06:47 AM
Crownfield

Bob Headrick wrote:

"Agent Orange" wrote in message

There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

Not true. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpa00113

There certainly are warranty issues - you cannot expect a printer manufacturer
to cover damage you cause.

true, however hp quote

Using refilled print cartridges alone does not affect either the
warranty or any maintenance contract purchased from HP for its HP Inkjet
printers.

/quote

some of the ink vendors will guarantee their ink.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Old September 20th 04, 09:29 AM
Vito Vincenza

There are no legal & warranty issues with refilling ink tanks:
http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/index.html

Not true. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpa00113

This is a wonderful thread 'cause it contains so much exciting stuff!

Here is my take on the three warrantee considerations:
POINT 1: HP must honor the warrantee even if you refill ink.

POINT 2: IF (and only if) the ink refilling itself caused the damage
to the printer, then HP doesn't have to honor the warrantee.

POINT 3: Warrantee isn't really an issue (when refilling ink):

DETAILS for POINT 1:
According to the URL:
http://www.reinkkit.com/InkRefillKitsDir/Legality.html
"One question that is very popular amongst those who are considering
refilling is "Will refilling void my warranty?". The answer to that
question is simple - NO. Consumers are often told by salesman or
service personnel that competitive ink products may not be used in the
consumers printer during the warranty period. They accompany this with
the claim that "The use of competitive brands of ink will void (or
invalidate) the warranty", with the statement or implication that only
the original equipment cartridges and ink may be used. This, of
course, tends to cast doubt on the quality of the refilling products
being used.

This claim, however, is simply not true. Under the Magnuson-Moss
warranty act and general principles set forth by the Federal Trade
Commission, a manufacturer may not require the use of their brand of
user replaceable consumables unless they are providing that item to
you free of charge under the terms of the warranty. It's the same
thing when General Motors recommends the use of GM oil and GM oil
filters in their automobiles for best performance. Any consumer knows
that Valvoline or Pennzoil products are acceptable, and can be used
without affecting the warranty - the reason this can be done is
written in these laws."

DETAILS for POINT 3:
According to the URL:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpa00113

"Using refilled print cartridges alone does not affect either the
warranty or any maintenance contract purchased from HP for its HP
Inkjet printers. However, if an HP Inkjet printer fails or is damaged
because you used a modified or refilled HP Inkjet print cartridge, the
repair will not be covered under the warranty or by the maintenance
contract. Instead, standard time and material charges will be applied
to service the printer for that particular failure or damage."

DETAILS for POINT 3:
As a practical matter, if someone purchases the printer from CostCo
(which I do), then the full-money-back warrantee period for almost all
things is forever so it's not an issue. I buy EVERYTHING I can at
CostCo for precisely that reason. Over tens thousand dollars worth a
year. Computers. Clothes. Food. Batteries. Toys. And, yes, printers,
photo paper, & ink supplies. I return very few items, but, some things
I return even after four or five years and they don't ask any
questions. I repeat, I buy everything I can at CostCo for this reason.
They win: I win. I could hit the printer with a hammer, and they'd
honor the money-back guarantee. I'd never buy electronics from anyone
else, unless CostCo didn't carry what I needed or wanted.

Even so, by the time a home consumer refills ink, the HP warrantee
period (what is it, a year, maybe, on a printer?) may be near up
anyway. Plus, think about it, how much can good quality ink (from
CostCo) actually damage a printer? It's not magic stuff.

PS: I do NOT work for CostCo
Old October 1st 04, 08:26 PM
Cori

With nearly 50 posts in this thread, it's possible my issues have been
answered, but I would still beg permission to describe the particular
problems I have had, steps I have taken to try to correct them, and
ask what I should be doing.

The printer I am using is an HP officejet d 135. Yeah, one of those
with the $25 color ink cartridge that runs out after about 25 prints
and the whole machine won't work without it, even if you try printing
in black-and-white only! Well, I ran through one color cartridge and
managed to prolong its life for awhile using a universal ink refill
kit bought at Wal-Mart--in other words, NOT HP ink, but the package
said it would work on HP and for awhile it seemed to. After awhile,
nothing would do. The machine threw a fit. No matter how many times
I pressed ink gauge override, it insisted the cartridge was expired
and printing would stop, which it did. It made no prints after the
time it said it wouldn't

So, I removed it and put in another I had ordered sometime earlier as
backup. This one it accepted, though the expiration date was five or
six months ago (I don't know if this is the expiration date, or the
"must install before" date--it sat for awhile while I strung out the
first cartridge till the last gasp.) Either way, the prints are
TERRIBLE! On "Fast" or "Normal" the prints are faint and patchy. On
"Best" it just runs the paper through, pretending to print, while
leaving no image at all! I got a few good prints off the first
cartridge and that was it. I poured refill ink into the second
cartridge till it would take no more and it still looks like total
˘rap. What I did was, with the first cartridge I was refilling as
instructed, with the syringe through the little holes while in the
machine, but could only dribble in a few drops at a time which didn't
seem to be doing anything. So with the second cartridge, I placed it
in a plastic box with a paper towel on the bottom, and poured ALL the
remaining red and yellow ink and most of the blue in until it gushed
out the larger holes in the bottom. I didn't try to aim only for the
center hole with the syringe. While some went in there, I also
saturated every bit of the spongy material I could see. I used one
paper towel for the yellow, one for the red, and one for the blue, and
cleaned up carefully after each, so the colors didn't mix and the
cartridge was clean when I put it in the machine, but still it alarmed
me how much ink was on the paper towels! Is it possible that unless
it is filled while in the machine, it all runs right back out? So
this is how saturated the cartridge is/should be, and still with the
˘rappy prints!

Is this the fault of the cartridge or can (horrors!) something else
like the heads actually be damaged? (But how could this be when it
has a built-in thing to stop printing and I never fri˘kin touched the
heads, just carefully removed and replaced the cartridges?) If it is
the cartridge, it's undoubtedly living on borrowed time.

SO--this leads to the actual questions.

1. Does anyone know the best place for purchasing refill cartridges
for this machine, or at the least refill ink which will actually work?
In other words, was it the Wal-Mart ink that caused the problem?
Does HP sell ink, or, if not, what is the best imitation of their ink,
and if I put that ink into one or both of the cartridges will that fix
them, or did the Wal-Mart ink ruin them and I have to buy a new one
and then refill that with approved ink (presumably in the approved
manner--since it seemed to leak all over the other way?) Where should
I get the ink, and, if necessary, the new cartridge?

2. If it is the Wal-Mart ink, why is the color every kind of trouble
while the black works perfectly well? I am only on the second
cartridge of black, which I have filled in the approved manner with
the Wal-Mart ink, and it works fine!

3. What is the best way to override the expiration dates on these two
cartridges? The second one expired earlier this year, and was never
fri˘kin in the machine till the other day! I ought to be able to get
something out of it!

4. Or am I to be held hostage by whatever price the manufacturers
choose to charge? (In other words: for this amount of time, trouble,
and expense, just to copy photo album pictures for friends and so on,
I might as well just drive to the 1-Hour place and pay them to do it!)

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide!

Cori

Old October 2nd 04, 01:16 AM
Marvin Margoshes

You can't keep refilling HP cartridges; they aren't designed for it. The
electrical contact between the cartridge and the printer degrades as you
take a cartridge in and out. Cleaning the contacts might help - a little.

m...

Old October 2nd 04, 06:24 AM
Cori

(Cori) wrote in message news:

1. Does anyone know the best place for purchasing refill cartridges
for this machine, or at the least refill ink which will actually work?

These people
http://www.printcountry.com/products...&ref=GGYXXAD04
were advertising both products and others over here on the upper right
hand corner of this page (the Google version of the Usenet page).
What opinions do people here have of them and of any similar
businesses? Thanks.

Cori
Old October 2nd 04, 08:46 AM
Cori

"Marvin Margoshes" wrote in message ...
You can't keep refilling HP cartridges; they aren't designed for it. The
electrical contact between the cartridge and the printer degrades as you
take a cartridge in and out. Cleaning the contacts might help - a little.

OH, MY GOD! You may know whereof you speak. Still a ˘rap print,
but...a MUCH higher-quality ˘rap! If I keep cleaning them do they
keep getting better until it produces a decent print?

Cori