how to clean a lens

Old October 19th 05, 05:42 AM
pug brian

Default how to clean a lens

hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, i it is for a
digital camera. a week or so ago i was trying to get some lightning pictures
and all of a sudden it started to sprinkle so i ran under a door way but it
was too late, now i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but
they only show up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to take
them off? i havent tryed to clean it yet in fear of breaking my camera lol.
any help would be greatly appreatiated

Old October 19th 05, 09:13 AM
Paul Heslop

pug brian wrote:

hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, i it is for a
digital camera. a week or so ago i was trying to get some lightning pictures
and all of a sudden it started to sprinkle so i ran under a door way but it
was too late, now i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but
they only show up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to take
them off? i havent tryed to clean it yet in fear of breaking my camera lol.
any help would be greatly appreatiated

some will tell you to buy some lens cleaning tissues. They seem quite
expensive but are probably worth it. I bought one of those little lens
pens. I used it about twice and thought it was doing a brilliant job,
but the third time I found it was sticking and the little pad had coe
off the end, so I was rubbing rubber on my lens!

I just use a very soft lens cleaning cloth as rarely as possible, and
good old breath.

I would say if you have an expensive lens use the best method, which
is supposedly the lens tissues. You can get these online or from a
local camera shop

--
Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
Stop and Look
Old October 19th 05, 06:17 PM
pug brian

ok thank you can i use cloth for glasses? or something like tissue? this
lens is stuck to the camera and very hard to get to, i would even try my
breath and a q-tip if that would be ok?

Old October 19th 05, 06:46 PM
Paul Heslop

pug brian wrote:

ok thank you can i use cloth for glasses? or something like tissue? this
lens is stuck to the camera and very hard to get to, i would even try my
breath and a q-tip if that would be ok?

I use a cloth for glasses but very gently, and give it a flick to make
sure you have no loose lint... also check your lens edges for specks
of anything that could scratch the glass. I tend to fold the cloth and
use a small nub of the middle section, with a little breath on the
glass first. If it still looks a bit dodgy give it another go.

I can't say for q-tips but judging from the scratches I've had on my
itchy ears with some I wouldn't recommend them.

I think the lens cleaning tissues are treated and very soft, but as
they're quite expensive I haven't been tempted. I suppose if this was
an £800 slr or something I would but one thing to remember, don't use
your shirt tails! :O)

Old October 19th 05, 06:55 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but they only show
up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to take them off?

some will tell you to buy some lens cleaning tissues. They seem quite
expensive but are probably worth it.

They are a good way to grind abrasive dirt particles over your lens and
scratch it irreversibly.

The best stuff is stripping film - a UK brand is Opticlean. It's
a polymer solution that comes in a bottle with an applicator brush,
looking like nail polish. You paint it onto the whole lens surface,
let it dry, and press a sticky tab down onto it. Pull the tab off
and the dried film comes too, taking the dirt with it. With lenses
you only use infrequently, you can leave the film in place and
strip it off before use to guarantee an absolutely clean surface.

Old October 19th 05, 07:05 PM
pug brian

ok thank you very much, ill use the cloth for glasses but really really
gently,i dont have money to buy anything so that will have to do, im just
tired of seeing those spots on the pictures

Old October 19th 05, 07:07 PM
pug brian

that would probably work but my lens extends and it goes in kinda deep so i
dont think id be able to use anything like that, ill just try the cloth for
glasses.i learned my lesson lol .and the next camera i get is gonna have a
bigger lens

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but they only show
up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to take them off?

some will tell you to buy some lens cleaning tissues. They seem quite
expensive but are probably worth it.

They are a good way to grind abrasive dirt particles over your lens and
scratch it irreversibly.

The best stuff is stripping film - a UK brand is Opticlean. It's
a polymer solution that comes in a bottle with an applicator brush,
looking like nail polish. You paint it onto the whole lens surface,
let it dry, and press a sticky tab down onto it. Pull the tab off
and the dried film comes too, taking the dirt with it. With lenses
you only use infrequently, you can leave the film in place and
strip it off before use to guarantee an absolutely clean surface.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk

==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660

4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554

975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739

557

Old October 19th 05, 07:34 PM
Paul Heslop

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but they only show
up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to take them off?

some will tell you to buy some lens cleaning tissues. They seem quite
expensive but are probably worth it.

They are a good way to grind abrasive dirt particles over your lens and
scratch it irreversibly.

The best stuff is stripping film - a UK brand is Opticlean. It's
a polymer solution that comes in a bottle with an applicator brush,
looking like nail polish. You paint it onto the whole lens surface,
let it dry, and press a sticky tab down onto it. Pull the tab off
and the dried film comes too, taking the dirt with it. With lenses
you only use infrequently, you can leave the film in place and
strip it off before use to guarantee an absolutely clean surface.

The film sounds very interesting, but I'm sure brian is savvy enough
to check for crud before he cleans his lens.
Old October 19th 05, 08:06 PM
Whiskers

On 2005-10-19, Paul Heslop wrote:

snip

I think the lens cleaning tissues are treated and very soft, but as
they're quite expensive I haven't been tempted. I suppose if this was
an £800 slr or something I would but one thing to remember, don't use
your shirt tails! :O)

The technique for using the lens tissues, is to roll or fold into a tube
and then tear the end off and use the torn edge as a very soft brush - the
only pressure you put on the lens is the 'springiness' in the tissue itself.
They are made so that when torn, the edge has a large number of fine
fibres. They cost far less than a new lens!

If used very very gently, the micro-fibre cloths sold in opticians' shops
are tolerable - again, with no pressure beyond the 'springiness' in the
fabric. A danger with them is that they may have tiny particles of grit
embedded in the fabric - especially if not new.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old October 19th 05, 10:46 PM
Charles Schuler

"pug brian" wrote in message
hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, i it is for a
digital camera. a week or so ago i was trying to get some lightning
pictures
and all of a sudden it started to sprinkle so i ran under a door way but
it
was too late, now i have 3 or 4 water drops on the lens of my camera,but
they only show up in dark pictures. anyways, can anyone tell me how to
take
them off? i havent tryed to clean it yet in fear of breaking my camera
lol.
any help would be greatly appreatiated

Water spots might not be what you are seeing on your pictures. Hot breath
followed by a soft tissue (no Aloe!) is all most folks use.