[SI] Macro/Closeup

Old May 30th 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
SI Committee

Default [SI] Macro/Closeup

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

--
The Committee

Old May 30th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

Any particular reason my three are not included?

You've been "cropped"? Oh, the irony.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Old May 30th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Charles E. Hardwidge" wrote in message
"tony cooper" wrote in message

Any particular reason my three are not included?

You've been "cropped"? Oh, the irony.

Oh Charles, you apparently hold a grudge.

Old May 30th 12, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Macro/Closeup - Some comments

On 2012-05-29 17:21:36 -0700, SI Committee
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

OK!

That was a not too shabby turnout, with a fair mix of closeup & macro.
So let's see what I can do with my comment contribution. I will try not
to be too cruel

Tim Conway:
Macro-01:
The Metaxa label is just right, with the exception of some of the
reflection off the metallic lettering the detail is well captured.
Macro-02:
I like the idea of the strawberries, but I would have preferred the
berries to have been in focus rather than the decorative edge of the
plate. So the detail of your center piece is missing.
Macro-03:
This is another case of confusing the subject with focus issues. I
would have preferred to see the detail of the bite. The "York" logo is
so well known, having that OOF and all the detail of the bite visible
in all its glory would have made for the more interesting image.

Yours truly, Savageduck:
MacroCloseup-01:
My real beef with this shot was the car's owner was nowhere in sight
and I didn't want to touch his car to get rid of that last bit of wax
around the emblem.
MacroCloseup-02:
It is always nice to find something prior to the parent company being
bought out by a giant.
MacroCloseup-03:
There were two Buicks available, one with this raw emblem, and one with
a restoration chrome job. I went with the one with character.

Richard Anderson: (Glad to see you threw one our way!)
Fungi on Gravestone:
Interesting color for a fungus on a gravestone. I was surprised to see
such a shallow DOF at f/7.1. I can only guess this was on a corner, not
one of the flat surfaces.

Bowser:
Macro-01:
Nice retention of the detail in the dandelion on the verge of
detonation, emphasized by the shallow DOF. The B&W treatment works.
Macro-02:
This shot does not work as a B&W. The full color and texture of the
rusty surface would have been a better way to go.
Macro-03:
Again, I would have preferred to have seen this showing the metallic
surface au natural. Perhaps in a little closer on the crown detail
would have made it a tad more interesting. An interesting piece none
the less.

Sid:
Closeup-01:
Nice! I can only guess at the subject, and I suspect what is in focus
is a drilled brake disc. I am probably wrong. The important thing is
you have created an interesting image, which provokes the question,
"What am I?"
Closeup-02:
OK, flower, but I find the odd DOF not to my liking. Either go for a
wider DOF, or bring it in so tight that all the petals are OOF and the
stamen in sharp detail.
Closeup-03:
This one is better, the green background emphasizes the entire flower.

Frank Ess:
Macro-01:
OK! Frank, which is the subject, the hose coupling, the ant, or the
bee? I can only wish the bee wasn't there.
Macro-02:
This I like! My deductive eyeball tells me that this is the top
mechanism of a pair of clip-ons, made into a mystery machine via superb
macro work.
Macro-03:
I am not sure what you have here, but I am certain that doesn't matter.
It is both interesting and mysterious, and has me scratching my head.

Dan Pet
Macro-01:
Love your Alfa!

Bob Flint:
Macro-01:
Escargot on the hoof. Nice shot, but I would have preferred to have
seen a true macro aimed at the shell pattern of the snail on the upper
right. That is a great pattern and I think it might have worked better
isolated.
Macro-02:
Nice dandelion shot. The elements of the flower have great detail
retention, highlighted by the OOF background. I like this.
Macro-03:
Interesting idea, but there is just something wrong with this shot. I
suspect it is way too busy. I look at the overall image and feel that
less would have been much more in this case.

Andrew Reilly:
Closeup-01:
OK. this one does not work for me in any way. It might have seemed an
interesting shot in the moment, but it is what it is, a shot up through
a tree.
Closeup-02:
Again, I can see what you had in mind, but for me it is just a DOF
exercise as a prelude to your next shot.
Closeup-01:
....and here you got it right. A closeup of the tendril winding its way
up grill/trellis. The background is nicely OOF. Here I would have
cropped tighter on your subject.

MG:
Macro-Azalea:
Big Pink!! Just too much flower for me.
Macro-CraneFlower:
Here is one I am familiar with, the Strelitzia. This is a nice enough
shot, but I think I would have chosen to isolate one of the elements of
that complexed flower, and gone in much closer. What you have given us
is not quite a closeup, and definitely not a macro.
Macro-Ladybirds:
Nice textured mass of ladybirds/bugs. However I am a tad troubled that
this shot is spoiled by being just out of focus. A great opportunity,
not quite achieved.

Chemiker:
Macro-01:
That is a beauty. Great detail shown. I like it.
Macro-02:
I guess it is a macro, but I would have ditched the two columns and
moved in closer on the "Treasure chest".

Martha Coe: (& no Bob!!!)
Macro-01:
Sorry Martha. :-( I know you were trying to show us the blue bells, but
I would have preferred a closer closeup on a single flower, or a macro
of the detail of a single bud.
Macro-02:
I am afraid there are just too many OOF issues with this shot for my
over pollenated eye to deal with.
Macro-03:
As with your first shot, this one can't quite decide if it is an
overall shot of the flowers or a closeup. It just doesn't make it as a
closeup for me.

Peter Newman:
Macro-Dahlia:
Very interesting effect with that coloration against the black
background field. I think I might have chosen a slightly different
frame idea, but all in all a good piece. What was with the f/16?
Macro-Orchid:
OK! I love this shot. Capturing the bizarre shape and curves with the
whites, yellows, tans, and black all working together.

Alan Browne:
Macro-01:
Hey! It's 17:20, and you were up close.
Macro-02:
Nice spider, good detail on the abdomen, but even at f/8 you have a few
detracting focus issues.
Macro-03:
Now this is the work I have come to expect of you. Good detail up front
and good fade to DOF OOF up top.

Overall an interesting bunch, thanks for playing folks.

BTW Tony C, were you sitting this one out? If yours are late, I will
crucify you later.

Savageduck

Old May 30th 12, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"Tim Conway" wrote in message
"Charles E. Hardwidge" wrote in message
"tony cooper" wrote in message

Any particular reason my three are not included?

You've been "cropped"? Oh, the irony.

Oh Charles, you apparently hold a grudge.

I'm overplaying things to make it obvious I'm messing around as a reaction
to pooper Cooper carrying a grudge after I rejected his advances the other
year. That's my version and I'm sticking to it. So there. Nyeah.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge
Old May 30th 12, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-29 20:11:41 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:17:04 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

BTW Tony C, were you sitting this one out? If yours are late, I will
crucify you later.

I submitted on time with fresh shots.

OK! I'll have my say once the Browne Canadian puts them up.
I have dragged myself out of my lethargy to start the comments ball
rolling, I am sure there are others with their unique take on things,
and it would be nice not to be flying solo on this.
I await your offerings. ;-)

I did my best to omit the one word condemnations, and gleeful
adorations, such as "crap!" & "Wow!"
I felt that given some of the recent remarks regarding comments, that
every submission deserves some appreciation, good or bad, regardless of
whether the individual critics believe they are worthy of comment or
not. Everybody took the trouble to submit an entry, so they are
deserving of comment, not the "I only comment on images I feel like
commenting on" deal.

Savageduck

Old May 30th 12, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Andrew Reilly[_2_]

On 2012-05-29 17:21:36 -0700, SI Committee
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

OK!

Indeed! Many photos here, so I'm afraid that my comments will probably
wind up brief-ish, or I'll be here all night...

Tim Conway:
Macro-01: I liked the colour and the detail, was a little uncomfortable
about the effect of the uneven lighting on the metallic lettering to the
left, and the slightly-out-of-focus U.
Macro-02: There seems to be an odd thing going on with the hard edge at
the junction between the top of the strawberries and the white plate, but
I suppose that could be a coding artifact. I can see detail in the cut
slice of the one on the right, but it still seems a bit out of focus.
Really sharp knife leaving too-smooth a surface?
Macro-03: This one doesn't seem quite right: dull colours or something.
Old film?

Savageduck:
MacroCloseup-01: Lovely detail, colour and saturation. I like the scuff-
marks on the chrome: stops the whole thing from looking like a CGI.
MacroCloseup-02: Nice all around, and great look to the chrome. If you'd
been a bit more straight-on to the badge, the far edge might not be
drifting out of your DOF.
MacroCloseup-03: Great character, but still clearly looked-after. All
good with the framing and lighting, too.

Richard Anderson:
Fungi on Gravestone: Cool colour, and interesting texture. Lighting
looks a little harsh. Flash?

Bowser:
Macro-01: Very nice detail and separation from the background.
Macro-02: I like this, but it feels like two different photos that don't
quite go together. The top half has interesting texture and that one
crack, and the bottom half has that great hole, rust bubbles and the
mystery of the inside, but it feels a bit odd as a whole. Maybe I just
need to see it on a larger monitor.
Macro-03: I like everything about this one. One of my favourites of the
set.

Sid:
Closeup-01: This one is probably my favourite of the set. Floating
(motorcycle?) brake disks, right?
Closeup-02: Nice detail of the stamens, but the petals don't grip me.
Closeup-03: Great exposure, nice light, and beautifully deep green
background.

Frank Ess:
Macro-01: While I love the texture on the hose fitting, I can't help
thinking that the bee was supposed to be the focus, but it isn't.
Macro-02: Great, sharp focus with lovely light on an interesting piece of
mechanism. Bravo!
Macro-03: Battery terminals? Very mysterious. Moody.

Dan Pet
Macro-01:

Bob Flint:
Macro-01: I love the idea of a snail-race, and the notion that one of
them couldn't sit still long enough to take the photo.
Macro-02: Another very nicely done dandelion.
Macro-03:

Andrew Reilly:
Closeup-1: Lacking an actual Macro lens, I tried to make a pun on "close
up", but Savage Duck is right: it conveys the notion of "up" without
actually being an interesting photo...
Closeup-2: This was actually the second go, which I took because I
thought the light might be a bit better from this angle, and the
background a little distracting. I don't mind the effect, but I like -3
better.
Closeup-3: I should have just gone with this one...

MG:
Macro-Azalea: I think this one needs to be either a bit closer (to get
the stamen detail) or a bit further away (to get the contrasting dark
green leaves in).
Macro-CraneFlower: Nice shot, well lit.
Macro-Ladybirds: Neat! I've never seen them like that. Perhaps a little
closer, to crop out the bark on the lower left?

Chemiker:
Macro-01: Nice shot of an interesting butterfly. Good separation from
the background and good exposure.
Macro-02: Not sure I get this one. The complete blackness of the
background gives it a Twin-Peaks kind of feel, but it's very stark.

Martha Coe:
Macro-01: The light is quite dull, perhaps overcast, which is sapping
some definition.
Macro-02: This one also needs a little more direct light, I think. I
like the crinkly detail of the central petals, though.
Macro-03: Nice shot of the flowers, but not especially close-up or macro.

Peter Newman:
Macro-Dahlia: Quite an abstract effect with the strong light and fully-
black background. Striking.
Macro-orchid: Great exposure, and close enough to be nearly abstract, but
not so close that it can't be recognised. Love the colours.

Alan Browne:
Macro-01: Yep, that's close.
Macro-02: I expected more creature photos for a macro set, but this one
makes up for the lack. Love the way the back-light shines through the
body.
Macro-03: Lovely detail and great textures. I think I would have
preferred more of it to be in focus, but as it is the selective focus
emphasises the gnarly shape quite nicely.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

--
Andrew Reilly
Old May 30th 12, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 5/29/2012 8:21 PM, SI Committee wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

I sent three. Should I resend the missing image?

--
Peter
Old May 30th 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 5/29/2012 10:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Peter Newman:
Macro-Dahlia:
Very interesting effect with that coloration against the black
background field. I think I might have chosen a slightly different frame
idea, but all in all a good piece. What was with the f/16?
Macro-Orchid:
OK! I love this shot. Capturing the bizarre shape and curves with the
whites, yellows, tans, and black all working together.

Thanks for your comments. The frame color is the same as one of the
colors inside the flowers. I agree that the frame on the dahlia is
distracting. In retrospect, I also should have shown more of the center
of the flower.

Technical:
For some reason the EXIF data did not show that flash was used. A basic
analysis shows that ISO 320 f16 at 1/3200 sec is not sufficient
exposure, unless I used studio lighting, which I did not. I put a 20mm
extension tube on my 70-200.

--
Peter
Old May 30th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Chemiker

On 2012-05-29 17:21:36 -0700, SI Committee
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

Chemiker:
Macro-01:
That is a beauty. Great detail shown. I like it.

Thanks for the comments. For Macro-01:

It's about subject control. This little beauty is less and an hour out
of the cocoon, on my kitchen table. The leaves are of the branchlet I
cut and brought in with the cocoon just for this purpose. Nothing
special, done with a P90 P&S camera.

Macro-02:
I guess it is a macro, but I would have ditched the two columns and
moved in closer on the "Treasure chest".

This image was designed to have no context. The columns were placed in
it to set up some symmetry in the overall effect. The real challenge
was to highlight the jewels (all genuine) AND get good surface tone
and detail on the columns. I am not satisfied with the result, and
maybe I should have HDR'd it. To bring out the specular highlights in
the jewels (which profits from point-source bare-bulb lighting) I used
a single 45watt Reveal Mini-flood, at about 7 o'clock and 75 degrees,
2 1/2 feet away. Unfortunately, this tends to blow out the columns as
white highlights. Had I used an umbrella, I could get great tone on
the columns, but I lose the sparkle of the jewels. This shot was a
compromise and proves I need more work on lighting.

actually I don't consider this a macro shot. I think macro starts at
maybe 1:1 images (and up to 10:1 imageobject), which this isn't. It's
more properly a close-up, which for me starts about 1:10 and ends at
1:1. Most table-top pix IMHO are close-up shots.