Using an Enlarger to Digitalize Negatives

Old January 8th 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Seagull_k1

Default Using an Enlarger to Digitalize Negatives

I was wondering if anyone might have encountered something I want. I have
discovered that half of what I enjoyed about my photography is now missing.
I really liked the time I spent in the dark room using the enlarger.

Have you seen, encountered, or heard of a way to use an enlarger to
transfer negatives and slides to digital?

I think I'm looking for something like a CCD plate that would take the
place of the paper holder.
However, none of my searches have returned anything that would seem to fit
what I believe I want, the possibility that I'm looking for the wrong thing
is rather high. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Seagull
Old January 8th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Seagull_k1 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone might have encountered something I want. I have
discovered that half of what I enjoyed about my photography is now missing.
I really liked the time I spent in the dark room using the enlarger.

Have you seen, encountered, or heard of a way to use an enlarger to
transfer negatives and slides to digital?

You could use it to focus the image into a digital camera or a flat bed
scanner.

It would take some careful adjustment to not overload the scanner or camera's
sensor and burn them out. I've never heard of it happening, but I'm sure
that if it can be done, someone who is not careful would do it.

A reasonably safe way would be to use a rear projection screen, and project
the image onto it from the enlarger and then have the camera pointed at
the screen.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Old January 8th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Seagull_k1" wrote

Have you seen, encountered, or heard of a way
to use an enlarger to transfer negatives and
slides to digital?

Physics problem:
Q: "How would you use a barometer to tell the
height of a building."
A: "Take the barometer to the building manager
and offer to give him a nice shiny barometer
if he will tell you how tall the building is."

In the same vein, place an add on Craigslist:
"Want to trade enlarger for scanner. Please contact ..."

That's not helpful, I know, but it is a better
solution.

A long time ago there was a recurrent thread about
placing a flat-bed scanner under an enlarger.
I think someone may have gotten it to sorta-kinda-work,
but it doesn't have anything to recommend itself even
in theory.

I have discovered that half of what I enjoyed
about my photography is now missing.

So why not go back to a traditional darkroom for
the times you feel the urge? It's easy to set
up a temporary darkroom. If you work at night
then the blackout problem is made much easier.
Many of use have 'dry' darkrooms in which the
running water is supplied by running with a bucket.

Then scan the resulting prints. I find scanning
silver prints gives much better results than
scanning negatives.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm