Digital Rebel lens to Film Rebel?

Old September 23rd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rick Geyerman

Default Digital Rebel lens to Film Rebel?

I bought a new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and it works great. It came with
an 18 - 55 mm lens.

I already had a Canon EOS Rebel film camera with a 35 - 105 mm lens.

I swapped the bigger film lens to the digital camera and it seems to work
fine, but the new lens won't attach to the old film-camera body.

What am I missing? Do I need an adaptor?

--
Rick Geyerman

cell phone 605.770.8204 Central time

Old September 23rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Rick Geyerman wrote:
I bought a new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and it works great. It came with
an 18 - 55 mm lens.

I already had a Canon EOS Rebel film camera with a 35 - 105 mm lens.

I swapped the bigger film lens to the digital camera and it seems to work
fine, but the new lens won't attach to the old film-camera body.

What am I missing? Do I need an adaptor?

The 18-55 lens will not work on either film cameras or full frame
digitals.

Scott

Old September 23rd 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Rick Geyerman" writes:
I swapped the bigger film lens to the digital camera and it seems to work
fine, but the new lens won't attach to the old film-camera body.

What am I missing? Do I need an adaptor?

The EF-S lens is designed for the Rebel digital cameras and won't work
on the film models. The Rebel digital sensor is smaller than a film
frame, and that allows the EF-S lens to be smaller and less expensive.
But that also makes it inherently incapable of covering a film frame
or a larger sensor (like the EOS-1DS series). So there is no adapter.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Rick Geyerman" wrote in message
Got it.

The reason is it is an "EF-S" lens, and not EF

Old September 23rd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rick Geyerman

OK. Next question, if that's OK...

I've read (here) about dust contamination on a digital camera's CMOS
sensors. Is it a big issue to swap these lenses back and forth in a
relatively quiet space? Or, are we talking *surgically clean.

My pictures are mostly for home use, but I've published magazine photos and
that was the purpose of my new purchase.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Rick Geyerman wrote:
OK. Next question, if that's OK...

I've read (here) about dust contamination on a digital camera's CMOS
sensors. Is it a big issue to swap these lenses back and forth in a
relatively quiet space? Or, are we talking *surgically clean.

My pictures are mostly for home use, but I've published magazine photos and
that was the purpose of my new purchase.

Dust is mostly an over rated problem, I rarely even think about it. I
am swaping lenses all the time and have very little trouble.

Pretty much the only problems you will run into is higher f numbers,
like f/16 and
even then it is normally not a big problem.

And cleaning the sensor is not all that hard either.

Scott