High Definition Opteka 500mm f/8 Telephoto Mirror Lens

Old January 30th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm H

Default High Definition Opteka 500mm f/8 Telephoto Mirror Lens

I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror lens.

1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
adjusted manually?

2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
£60, is it a bargain or junk?

Malcolm

Old January 30th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:32:40 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror lens.

1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
adjusted manually?

2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
£60, is it a bargain or junk?

Malcolm

It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
camera.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.
Old January 30th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm H

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:32:40 +0000, Malcolm H wrote:

I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror
lens.

1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
adjusted manually?

2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
£60, is it a bargain or junk?

Malcolm

It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
camera.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if the
metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
aperture priority mode.

Old January 30th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:48:59 GMT, "Malcolm H"
wrote:

[...]

That's more of a question about the camera than it is the lens. What
does the camera do if you try to take a -picture with no lens
attached.

I use Canon, I don't know about Nikon, but the no-lens thing and a
T-Mount mirror appear the same to the camera.

Obviously you won't get an image, but see if you can get an exposure,
should be medium gray.

Old January 30th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I have a Nikon D80 and have some questions re the Opteka 500mm mirror lens.

1. Is this lens fully compatible with the Nikon d80 i.e. does it provide
full metering with aperture priority so that only the focus needs to be
adjusted manually?

2. Any comments on the quality of this lens and its suitability for the
Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
£60, is it a bargain or junk?

Malcolm

You will have no metering. The aperture is fixed. Bohkah is characteristic
of reflex lenses.
I have a Russian 500mm/ƒ5.6 and it has very little depth of field.

Works in MANUAL only on my D-50. I see no reason why it should not be the
same on a D-80.

Old January 30th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

wrote:

[...]

Yes, its the same for Nikon. Manual only. No metering. Manual focus.

f8 is actually better than f5.6, increased depth of field, much needed.

Old January 30th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm H

wrote:

[...]

Yes I confirm My D80 shutter works only in Manual with no lens.

What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain or
junk???

Old January 30th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"Malcolm H" writes:
What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain or
junk???

Cheap mirror lenses are in general junk.
Old January 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

Go to pBase and go a search for the lens. There are some sample shots that I
think look pretty darn good for a lens with that mm and price.

http://www.pbase.com

or

http://search.pbase.com/search?q=opt...ch+Photos&c=sp

ljc

--
Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You