Digital Picture Frames

Old January 21st 15, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Digital Picture Frames

Late last year I started to sift my entire collection of digital
images in a search for a particular print project I had in mind. At
the moment I have about 400 candidates which is far too many for
printing. It has occurred to me that a digital picture frame may be a
suitable answer.

My last experience of digital frames was in the days when they were
relatively new and I was not left with a good impression. They would
not hold many images. Nor could they access much memory from a USB
memory stick if one was plugged in. Above all, they were shortlived.
Each one died after only a few months.

My question is, are they any better now? If any one has any recent
experience, good, bad or indifferent, I would like to know what it
was.

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

Eric Stevens
Old January 21st 15, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

older ipad.
Old January 21st 15, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

iPad. Not your 10-12" screen, but still...

Eric Stevens:
[...]

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 21st 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

iPad. Not your 10-12" screen, but still...

9.7" is close enough to 10.
Old January 21st 15, 05:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

I've only seen one digital picture frame in use. Frankly
I just thought it looked ridiculous. The family who owned
it kept it on a table in the living room and they'd turn it
on whenever they were home. If no one is in the room
looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. If one
is looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. I'd
rather choose which image to look at and for how long.
As someone once said about phone sex: at first it seems
like a clever idea, but then.... it really just doesn't work.

Old January 21st 15, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:19:20 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

older ipad.

Yes. That has occurred to me. How long will they last before they die
of old age? (Apart from battery)

Eric Stevens
Old January 21st 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-21 04:02:07 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

I've only seen one digital picture frame in use. Frankly
I just thought it looked ridiculous. The family who owned
it kept it on a table in the living room and they'd turn it
on whenever they were home. If no one is in the room
looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. If one
is looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. I'd
rather choose which image to look at and for how long.
As someone once said about phone sex: at first it seems
like a clever idea, but then.... it really just doesn't work.

A selection of well mounted prints in simple frames present much better
than any digital frame. From the 400 candidates Eric has I would reduce
that to a short list of ten to twelve, with specific rooms and walls
for specific images.
A side show of 400 images is overkill for any viewer, especially
presented in a digital frame, on a TV, or even an iPad. This is a case
of less is more.

The iPad serves very well as a portfolio. Using Lightroom Mobile the
image files take up very little space, and they can be presented
manually or as a slide show.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 15, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-21 04:40:09 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:19:20 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

older ipad.

Yes. That has occurred to me. How long will they last before they die
of old age? (Apart from battery)

I am using an iPad 2 (64GB) running the latest version of iOS v 8.1.2
without issue. I am considering buying a new iPad Air 2 w/retina
display, but I have no pressing need to.
I fear I will have to get a new desktop Mac before I actually need a new iPad.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 15, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

older ipad.

Yes. That has occurred to me. How long will they last before they die
of old age? (Apart from battery)

a very long time. what's going to wear out? nothing.

the only consumable is the battery which doesn't matter since as a
picture frame, it will be plugged in all the time.

at some point there won't be system updates but if all you're going to
do is show photos, that won't matter either.

it's an ideal use for an older ipad that has been replaced with a newer
one.
Old January 21st 15, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:43:23 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-01-21 04:02:07 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

[...]

I originally thought of an album, perhaps two images per page, but
when m*short_list* came out as large as it had I realised and album
was not the answer. Why so many? Well one of the first goes back to
2002. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00068.jpg
Hand held with available light, Sony 505, 5 MP. And they go on from
there.

The iPad serves very well as a portfolio. Using Lightroom Mobile the
image files take up very little space, and they can be presented
manually or as a slide show.

I would like something a little larger than an iPad screen, if I can
find such a thing.

Eric Stevens