How to add EXIF date from file-date

Old February 18th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Lars-Erik Østerud

Default How to add EXIF date from file-date

I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
Old February 18th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
l v

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

What operating system?

--

Len
Old February 18th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Matt Ion

l v wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

What operating system?

I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.
Old February 18th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:26:18 -0800, Matt Ion wrote
in :

l v wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

What operating system?

I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.
Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old February 18th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_2_]

l v wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
[...]

Rephrased:
Non-windows users are more aware of what they are dealing with and tend
to provide relevant information when asking questions here. Most Windows
users, however, take it for guaranteed that everyone else is using
Windows too. They are as likely to be completely ignorant of any other
kinds of OSes as well.
Old February 18th 08, 09:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Matt Ion

l v wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?
What operating system?

I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

It's a matter of market share, not intelligence.

Why can't it be both?

I'll say it again: Your typical Windows (l)user doesn't understand that
not all computers run on Windows.

Insulting Windows users does you no credit.

Good thing I'm not looking for credit.

Old February 18th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
cmyk

Hi Lars,

A Web search for 'Edit EXIF' will turn up many EXIF editors, at least some of which claim to allow you to edit the date. For
example:
Quick EXIF Editor http://www.photo-freeware.net/quick-exif-editor.php
Exifer for Windows http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Some are freeware; others you pay for. Some even give you a choice of OS.

Cheers
--
cmyk

Old February 18th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
Floyd L. Davidson

Lars-Erik Østerud .@. wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

Regardless of you OS, download exiftool by Phil Harvey
(and install Perl if you don't have it).

Of course writing a batch file or shell script to
interate over your entire collection, and automating the
correct date selection, is a programming task.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 18th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , Matt Ion
wrote:

l v wrote:
Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
I have a huge amount JPG photos WITHOUT EXIF date indo.
But it seens like the PS3 only uses EXIF date for sorting.

Så all images without EXIF date ends up in the current
year and month (like "FEB 2008" or "2008") when sorting.

I have the original date in the files "date modified",
but need a program then can create the EXIF date info
from the file-date. But I can only find the opposite :-(

Anyone know how to copy the file-date to the EXIF date
for several 1000 JPG files in an easy way? Please?

What operating system?

I find that almost universally, it's the non-Windows users who are
intelligent enough to provide OS information. Your typical Windows
(l)user doesn't understand that not all computers run on Windows. Thus
it's safe to assume that we're dealing with some version of Windows here.

that's very likely, but fortunately the best tool for the job,
exiftool, runs on mac/win/unix, so it really doesn't matter what
operating system he uses. also, i think one of the examples in the
help will write the file modification date to the exif date.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
Old February 18th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

nospam wrote:

that's very likely, but fortunately the best tool for the job,
exiftool, runs on mac/win/unix, so it really doesn't matter what
operating system he uses. also, i think one of the examples in the
help will write the file modification date to the exif date.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Interesting. Would you know if this tool works in a batch mode in
Windows? In Linux, I can type up bash commands in a few minutes to do
this job automatically for any number of files. But if the tool doesn't
work in batch mode in Windows, the user is going to take ages to do this
one by one for his thousands of pictures!

-HS