Dpreview, Slyware or spyware?

Old October 27th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default Dpreview, Slyware or spyware?

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?
Old October 27th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:42:01 -0700, irwell wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

I followed up the above by clicking on the very mall type
Privacy notice embedded with images, this led to Amazon.com and this
information.
amazon.com associates

Effective Date: July 25, 2005

Amazon.com Associates Privacy Information

1. What was I looking at?

The Amazon.com content that you were viewing is a type of link
used by Amazon.com Associate Web sites to enable Amazon.com to deliver
content directly to your browser.

Typically, when you look at a Web page, the words and pictures
you see actually come from several sources. Your browser software
assembles the pieces and displays them as a single page. On the
Associate Web site you were visiting, most of the content you saw was
transmitted from server computers used by the site's operator.
However, the placement you just clicked on was different--we sent it
to you directly from Amazon.com.
2. What is an Amazon.com Associate?

An Amazon Associate is a Web site owner who places links to the
Amazon.com Web site on his or her site and earns referral fees through
sales of Amazon.com products. (To find out more about the Amazon
Associates program, click here.) The Web site that displayed this link
to you is an Amazon.com Associate.
3. What information about me does Amazon.com receive and retain
through this link?

Your browser automatically sends any Amazon cookies on your
computer to our server when you view this type of Amazon.com link on
an Associate Web site. (For more information about how Amazon uses
cookies, see our Privacy Notice.)

Although we may use your Amazon.com cookie to determine whether
you are a recognized Amazon visitor and to offer personalized content
(such as product recommendations) and special offers, we do not keep
or attempt to construct a record of the Web sites you visit.

Of course, if you choose to click through to the Amazon.com
site, we, like most Web sites, will receive and store your clickstream
to, through, and from our site. For more information about the
automatic information we collect, please read our Privacy Notice.
4. Does Amazon.com share with third parties any information this
service collects about me?

No. No personal information we may collect about customers who
view, click, or purchase through Associate links is shared with third
parties, including Associates, except as described by the Privacy
Notice governing the Amazon.com Web site.
5. Are products listed on Amazon.com Associate Web sites through
this linking service the same as the personalized recommendations I
receive when visiting Amazon.com?

They can be. The products you see listed when visiting an Amazon
Associate's site can be based on a variety of factors, such as that
site's topics and sales history. We might also show you items based on
your own personal purchase history at Amazon.com. The Associate Web
site hosting this Amazon.com link does not have access to these
"personalized" recommendations.

Conditions of Use | Privacy Notice © 1996-2007, Amazon.com, Inc.

Use the Back button on your browser to return to the Web site that you
came from.
Old October 27th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sparky[_3_]

On Oct 26, 6:01 pm, irwell wrote:
[...]

A sites cookies can not be read by any other site.

Old October 27th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean
Old October 27th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

Old October 27th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Bean

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

Thanks Charlie, noted. Maybe they share a room... or even a
hand.

--
John Bean
Old October 27th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

Pretty simple to run a clean up program to rid a system of dpreview's
adware.

Old October 27th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

You've got it in one. DPreview are the phoniest of them all,
banning at the drop of a hat for what they consider ethical
violations. As a little test try typing Amazon.com Porn Photography
on one the forums and see what happens to you.
Old October 27th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

Pretty simple to run a clean up program to rid a system of dpreview's
adware.

Zonealarm and Spybot don't seem to do it.
What do you suggest?
Old October 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

wrote:

[...]

That's a test of what? Your lack of common sense?