Sony Cybershot DSC-H5; constant mechanical noise

Old December 31st 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Gene Chang

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-H5; constant mechanical noise

Hi, CyberShot owners,

Does nyone who owns a Sony Cybershot DSC-5H notice constant
mechanical breakage noise from the camera body even if you are not taking
pictures?
I am not talking about high noise in pixels when high ISO speed is used.

I am OK when the lense is extending / retracting. But constant mechanical
noise
means the motor is always turning, and causing more than normal wears and
tears
to the camera. Anyone out there owns the same camera?

Please check yours, and go check them again in CircuitCity / BestBuy /
CompUSA stores!
The noise is present in all the CyberShot DSC-H 12X series cameras,
including -H2 / H5.
The sales reps in these store do not know and can not explain such noise.

I am frustrated to get answers from Sony techsupport people at
(866)357-6230,
http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do, asking for documented
information
regarding this noise. But Sony people abruptly refused to give out the
information,
other than saying such noise is normal. Common sense tells me it's causing
unnecessary wears & tears to this good camera.

CHECK your DSC-5H's please for your own sake.

http://www.sonyrecalls.com/

Old December 31st 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Don't panic. It's probably not the end of the universe as we know it.

Gene Chang wrote:
Does nyone who owns a Sony Cybershot DSC-5H notice constant
mechanical breakage noise from the camera body even if you are not taking
pictures?

'breakage' noise? It sounds like it is broken? If so, take it back.
But the rest of your post indicates it may just be a small whirring
sound.

I am not talking about high noise in pixels when high ISO speed is used.

Yes, I get it.

I am OK when the lense is extending / retracting. But constant mechanical
noise
means the motor is always turning, and causing more than normal wears and
tears
to the camera.

'more than normal'? What is normal? The sound is almost certainly
either:

1. AF noise. In continuous focus modes (and to a slightly lesser
extent even just in 'normal' AF mode), the focus mechanism in the
camera will frequently re-adjust as the subject distance changes. IT
does this so your viewfinder/lcd preview isn't a blurred mess. Turn
off AF if you can - does it go away? Does it happen when the camera is
absolutely still, and the scene is unchanging?

2. IS noise. The camera may use tiny motors/actuators to hold the
sensor steady if it thinks the image will be blurred from camera shake.
Turn off IS if applicable.

3. Aperture adjustment noise. This is unlikely as it is usually very
quiet, but the camera will also adjust the aperture as light conditions
change. On some cameras you can hear the sound as the aperture
changes, but it is usually very short and often inaudible.

If you can turn AF and IS off and the camera is in an unchanging light
environment and there is *still* a sound, then you would be entitled to
ask Sony questions. Otherwise, just make sure you have an extended
warranty, go shoot pictures and stop agonising.

Anyone out there owns the same camera?

No, but such details don't stop me from mouthing off... (O;

The noise is present in all the CyberShot DSC-H 12X series cameras,
including -H2 / H5.

Which suggests it might be normal, yes?

The sales reps in these store do not know and can not explain such noise.

Well, there's a surprise. Sales reps without a clue? Who would have
thought..? (O:

I am frustrated to get answers from Sony techsupport people at
(866)357-6230,
http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do, asking for documented
information
regarding this noise. But Sony people abruptly refused to give out the
information,
other than saying such noise is normal.

That isn't an 'abrupt refusal'. That's an official response - and one
you can keep and use for evidence if the camera fails in an untimely
manner...

Common sense tells me it's causing
unnecessary wears & tears to this good camera.

Have you had many digitals before? I have used several similar cameras
and this isn't that unusual, especially if you have continuous AF, or
'auto everything' on.

Old December 31st 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:16:20 -0500, "Gene Chang"
wrote:

[...]

Old news, nothing to worry over, happens on lots of
cameras, not only Sony.
Old December 31st 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RichG

yea, www.dpreview.com has a Sony Talk group and the same issues about the
"noise" comes up from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it. I have a
DSC H5, too..and I LOVE it! Rich

Old January 3rd 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gene Chang

Rich,

The one on www.dpreview.com is submitted by me. I also set up
a website, http://www.SonyRecalls.com to raise awareness among users.
It's a $450 expensive piece.

Did you check your camera AND the noise? I am not talking
about the pixel noise when you are using high ISO settings. If it's CONSTANT
mechanical noise, it's more that what it should do to the camera body and
parts. If you hear that noise by pressing against your ear, you might
develop
your own concern.

It's draining the battery - OK. However, it is tearing out the parts
because the motor is constantly turning. Is that logical? Think again!?

Holiday is over, and I will send it back to Sony to repair.

Let me know if you have second oppinion or what further action you will
take.

Gene

t...

Old January 4th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RichG

Gene, I'm not going to do a thing about the "noise". Yes, it is present and
even with it... many users on the DP group have taken many thousands of
pictures with their cameras with no troubles.

( I am more concerned with the rash of "half-press focus-button failures "
that recently appeared on the site, though.)

I don't know enough about engineering to say WHY someone would want a
motor/gyro/balancing device to be on all of the time. I can surmise that if
the motor had to start; stop and start back up zillions of times to do
whatever its function was..that the camera would probably fail far more
quickly.

I own a TIVO and, in a similar fashion, the hard drive runs 24 hours around
the clock. It may well be that, if the hard drive had to start and stop
thousands more times than it does today..I'd be looking to replace that
sooner, too. I am only smart enough to know that I am NOT an engineer..and
I don't pretend to be one.

Now, if you were to tell me that NONE of the other three or four or so --12x
digital non-dslr--- cameras had this noise ...and ALL of them had longer
lives ( not possible to tell, since most of them are only a year or so old
at this time) you just might get my attention.

For $400.00 bucks this ...Sony DSC H5 ..has to be the best camera, for my
uses, on the market. If I get even ONE year's use out of this camera...I've
got a bargain.

If the noise is a real problem to you,...I'd guess I'd return it if you
don't have it for very long, or just plain sell it on Ebay and let someone
else worry about it.

Money isn't cheap, but if you lose $150.00 and then buy another camera and
you are happy with it..then that is money well spent. Putting up a web site
......that might cost more than the camera..... to complain about a
non-affecting noise doesn't seem right to me.

regards, Rich

Old January 10th 07, 09:06 AM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
D Russell

Yep, get exactly the same continuous whirring from within my H2, even went
to a Sony store to borrow a brand new one, got them to fire it up for me
and then stood there in their shop holding it up to my ear, must have
looked a right sight, glad they didn't take a photo

Anyway, upshot is that this is just something that this generation of Sony
cameras does. It is mildly annoying at first, but I soon got used to it,
and i've found it's had no effect on my picture taking. Still getting some
seriously nice piccies.