Ron - Kodak guy

Old December 21st 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

Default Ron - Kodak guy

Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000 SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is to
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Old December 21st 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Well, try it before you return it ... generic statements of OS requirements
tend to be on the conservative side.

Old December 21st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
. ..

"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to

upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Well, try it before you return it ... generic statements of OS

requirements
tend to be on the conservative side.

Try it before returning means have to wait till "the day" and open box etc.
where-as I still have time to return and choose another if I find out answer
soon enough. I expect the camera itself to work fine but I don't like the
artificial limitation of needing the latest & greatest OS (cause it ain't).

Old December 21st 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

WIndows 98 does not have full USB support without add-on drivers that may
not work properly. USB2 did not come into existence until years after Win98
was obsolete.
Obsolete. Get used to it.
If you think Microsoft is bad about abandoning users you should get a load
of Apple. Microsoft is downright benevolent in comparison.

Old December 22nd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Update your operating system to XP.

Windows 98 is obsolete and is a total pain in the arse to work with compared
to XP.

It is almost impossible to buy any hardware which you can be sure will work
with 98.

You might just be able to find a card reader which can be persuaded to work
with 98, and that will be almost the only way you will be able to download
photos from any Camera to your computer system.

Get into the 21st Century, it is now almost 6 years old.

Roy G

Old December 22nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"pjp" wrote:

Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

You should say thank you to Kodak. The Windows 95 series of OSes are as bad
as everything the Mac crazies say about them, and the NT series are as good
as everything the Mac crazies say about Unix. Same ugly Windows face, but
under the hood, completely different.

Friends don't let friends use Windows 95/98/ME/SE

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 22nd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"pjp" wrote:

[...]

I'll say thanks to Kodak when they decide to throw in the OS for free that
they demand be used.

BS - I have all told 7 pc's networked in house. All can run XP but I only
have it installed on one of them AND it's not the one that anyone uses to
connect to the net. XP's as much if not more of a pain in the ass as any MS
OS. BTW - and there's nothing I can do under XP I can't also do under 98SE
that I've found to date (except not run products that basically demand XP).

My attitude is 'bunch of moronic robots, we should be demanding MS fix their
damn buggy software by redesigning it and providing it gratis to those of us
suckers enough to believe their hype in the first place. Instead the add
patch onto patch onto patch to mask/hide the flaws in their basic design
then at some point call it a new version so they can do it all again'

Old December 22nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

Comments interspersed within ...

"Roy G" wrote in message
"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to

upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Update your operating system to XP.

Why, it adds no additional functionality and introduces a pile of extra bs.

Windows 98 is obsolete and is a total pain in the arse to work with

compared
to XP.

Not true.

It is almost impossible to buy any hardware which you can be sure will

work
with 98.

Not true

You might just be able to find a card reader which can be persuaded to

work
with 98, and that will be almost the only way you will be able to download
photos from any Camera to your computer system.

Not true, my Fuji S602Z and daughters "whatever" plus couple of mp3 players,
three webcams etc. all work fine under 98SE

Get into the 21st Century, it is now almost 6 years old.

Oh I'm supposed to go out and buy Vista now so MS can **** me around even
more with another level of "control". Geez, I gave up on Vax/VMS in the mid
80's because I loved a pc because it was Personal. Now it might as well be
another mini/mainframe for it's restrictions. And never forget it's MS's own
design that they're hacking as they go to make work.

Roy G

Old December 22nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

"bmoag" wrote in message
. net...
WIndows 98 does not have full USB support without add-on drivers that may
not work properly. USB2 did not come into existence until years after

Win98
was obsolete.
Obsolete. Get used to it.
If you think Microsoft is bad about abandoning users you should get a load
of Apple. Microsoft is downright benevolent in comparison.

Well aware of Apple's bs. Have always wondered how they have people 'keep
the faith'.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Louise Bremner

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Friends don't let friends use Windows 95/98/ME/SE

Unfortunately, clients forced me to buy it, as the only way I could find
to produce files that their computers could read....

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!