Queries of NG members: dslr camera age.

Old September 24th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Noel Stoutenburg

Default Queries of NG members: dslr camera age.

Friends:

I had an early Minolta entry level slr which was stolen a year or so
ago. Thinking about this, my first "serious" camera, which although
about 30 years old, was still functional, I got to wondering (for those
of you who care to answer) what how old your oldest (both in age, and
number of exposures) dslr in "regular" use is.

Further, I got to wondering for those of you who have had dslr's fail,
how old the camera was when it failed, and if you know, what caused the
failure.

ns
Old September 24th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Noel Stoutenburg :
Friends:

I had an early Minolta entry level slr which was stolen a year or so
ago. Thinking about this, my first "serious" camera, which although
about 30 years old, was still functional, I got to wondering (for those
of you who care to answer) what how old your oldest (both in age, and
number of exposures) dslr in "regular" use is.

Hmm ... define "regular use". :-)

I've got a couple of NC2000e/c cameras -- start with a Nikon
N90s, and replace the back with one from Kodak to turn it into a 1.3MP
digital. Those were made back in 1995, IIRC. They still work, though I
am using the Nikon D70 instead for several reasons.

As for the age in number of exposures, since both cameras were
used by the AP for many years before I got them, and there is no
recording of the total exposures in the EXIF data, I really have no way
of telling.

Further, I got to wondering for those of you who have had dslr's fail,
how old the camera was when it failed, and if you know, what caused the
failure.

No such failure to date.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old September 26th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
EarlCox

"Noel Stoutenburg" wrote in message
Friends:

I had an early Minolta entry level slr which was stolen a year or so
ago. Thinking about this, my first "serious" camera, which although
about 30 years old, was still functional, I got to wondering (for those
of you who care to answer) what how old your oldest (both in age, and
number of exposures) dslr in "regular" use is.

Further, I got to wondering for those of you who have had dslr's fail,
how old the camera was when it failed, and if you know, what caused the
failure.

ns

I have a Nikon FTN I bought in 1969 (at the military PX in Yongsan, Korea)
and coupled it with a terrific Nikkor 43-86 zoom (bought in a small store
off the Ginza in Tokyo, the same year). It's basically a mechanical camera
with a small dime-size battery (for the light meter) and titanium foil
shutter. I've taken hundreds and hundreds of shots (probably several
thousand) over the years and, until I bought a D70 and then a D200 it was
the camera I used on a daily basis. Thirty seven years of continuous use
isn't bad. And I have an old nikkormat sitting on top of my Nikon SK-e
microscope that I use for photomicroscopy.