Silver or Black?

Old July 17th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default Silver or Black?

Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is silver or
black?

I ask because the Circuit City website is selling the Panasonic FZ7S for
$60 less than the FZ7K. As far as I can tell, the only difference
between the two is that one is silver (S) and the other is black (K).

Is the choice of color just a personal preference, or is there some
functional difference?

Old July 17th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sally

BRH BRH wrote in :
Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is
silver or black?

Black looks more nerdy.
Old July 17th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:26 -0400, BRH wrote:
Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is silver or
black?

I ask because the Circuit City website is selling the Panasonic FZ7S for
$60 less than the FZ7K. As far as I can tell, the only difference
between the two is that one is silver (S) and the other is black (K).

Is the choice of color just a personal preference, or is there some
functional difference?

Personal preference.

That said, most of the FZs that I've seen in the wild have been black
(including mine), so maybe Circuit City put the silver body only on
sale, figuring that people will pay a premium for the black body. List
prices for the two are the same ($430), so the difference is due to
Circuit City rather than Panasonic.

-dms
Old July 17th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

sally wrote:
BRH BRH wrote in
:
Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is
silver or black?

Black looks more nerdy.

Unless it's a camera I can slip into a pocket, I prefer silver.
Received wisdom, and practical experience had to do with black objects
absorbing more heat-wavelengths.

On the other hand, I bought a 20D (black) and a RebXT (silver) on the
basis of what was available; waited for a black Lumix LX1 because it
might be less obtrusive for candid stuff.

On yet another hand, when in the field I always drape a
WhatsernametheEx-con K-Mart dishtowel over the big cameras and never
leave the little one unprotected, one way and another.

Essentially, as an earlier responder stated: no practical difference
.... depending.

--
Frank ess

Old July 17th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jethro Bodine

BRH wrote in message . ..
Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is silver or
black?

I ask because the Circuit City website is selling the Panasonic FZ7S for
$60 less than the FZ7K. As far as I can tell, the only difference between
the two is that one is silver (S) and the other is black (K).

Is the choice of color just a personal preference, or is there some
functional difference?

They do say though, that once you go black....

Old July 17th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Jethro Bodine wrote:
BRH wrote in message
. ..
Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is
silver or black?

I ask because the Circuit City website is selling the Panasonic
FZ7S
for $60 less than the FZ7K. As far as I can tell, the only
difference between the two is that one is silver (S) and the other
is black (K). Is the choice of color just a personal preference, or
is there some
functional difference?

They do say though, that once you go black....

I've forgotten: is it a sixteenth or an eighth"

Old July 17th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:26 -0400, BRH BRH wrote:

Does it make any difference whether a digital camera's body is silver or
black?

I ask because the Circuit City website is selling the Panasonic FZ7S for
$60 less than the FZ7K. As far as I can tell, the only difference
between the two is that one is silver (S) and the other is black (K).

Is the choice of color just a personal preference, or is there some
functional difference?

It's a personal preference.
Some will say, "Pros use black", and choose black on that basis.
Pros use black because, historically, trhe better cameras were black;
pros use better cameras, so they used black cameras. They didn't use
them because they were black, they used them because they were what
was available to fit their needs.
Black cameras perform no better than the same cameras in silver. So
pick the color you want.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old July 17th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"Bill Funk" wrote in message
[...]

I heard some silliness about 30 years ago that pros used black to minimize
the camera reflecting unwanted light upon the subject. This was back when
cameras in satin chrome finish were made of metal, not solver-colored
plastic.

Old July 17th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Prometheus

In article W%Pug.8277$A8.872@trnddc02, jeremy
writes

"Bill Funk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The one I heard was to reduce reflection problems when photographing
through glass, I am not sure what this means for the photographers face
and white shirt. Another one I heard is to avoid desensitizing your eye
when you raise a shinny camera to it, I am not sure about the eye's
recovery time. They do both make some sense, and reducing potential
problems is not a bad idea. The main problem with black is heating in
sun light, I was keeping my camera shaded as I walked around today,
although it might have been unnecessary (I shall check the spec.). You
might ask yourself why long lenses are often white.

--
Ian G8ILZ