Monitor for photo editing on Macbook?

Old January 23rd 16, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Monitor for photo editing on Macbook?

OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I need
a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the PC is
showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me something
(at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere between
budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?
Old January 23rd 16, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Try this one: Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Has a three year warranty and is a bit over $400 on Amazon.

Got mine up and running a couple of days ago and calibrated with Apple
Calibration and Gamma. Looks great!

On 1/23/16 3:18 PM, in article
, "newshound"

Old January 23rd 16, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/23/2016 4:18 PM, newshound wrote:
OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I need
a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the PC is
showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me something
(at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere between
budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?

I recently bought an Asus 4k 28" monitor, and think it neat to work with.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053606-REG/asus_pb287q_28_3840x2160_led_lcd.html

I was ready to get the NEC, which has a lot more capability, but I
realized that I most likely would not really use them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1098693&gclid=CKTbxLb0wMoCFUUTHwodHpsP Nw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

If you consider the Asus, you might want to note that it:
Does not work with Mac Pro @ 60 hz
I bought this monitor because of the other reviews and price.
Unfortunately I've discovered (personally and other online) that the Mac
Pro computers with the D500 or D700 GPUs are not rendered correctly...

Note that in order to get full use of any monitor, you need a graphics
card that supports those features.

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 16, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I need
a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the PC is
showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me something
(at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere between
budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?

Interesting, oddly enough I just spotted the 24 inch on Amazon which I
thought looked pretty good. Will wait and see what others say! I have
been pretty happy with Dell desktops and laptops over the years.
Old January 23rd 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/23/2016 4:53 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 1/23/2016 4:18 PM, newshound wrote:
OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I need
a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the PC is
showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me something
(at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere between
budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?

I recently bought an Asus 4k 28" monitor, and think it neat to work with.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053606-REG/asus_pb287q_28_3840x2160_led_lcd.html

I was ready to get the NEC, which has a lot more capability, but I
realized that I most likely would not really use them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1098693&gclid=CKTbxLb0wMoCFUUTHwodHpsP Nw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

If you consider the Asus, you might want to note that it:

I should have stated that the below is a quote from the reviews, not
from my personal experience.

Old January 23rd 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-23 21:18:45 +0000, newshound said:

OK I am fairly convinced by the Affinity Photo trial, but I think I
need a better monitor for my Macbook Pro (my current LG monitor on the
PC is showing its age). Obviously, Apple will be happy to sell me
something (at a price), but any suggestions for good products somewhere
between budget and Apple prices? Any good review sites?

OK! What edition of MacBook Pro do you have?
Does yours have Thunderbolt and/or HDMI support?

What size are you looking for? 27"?

Take a look at some of these and compare them with the Apple display.
All are available via Amazon.
LG 27MB85R-B ColorPrime IPS Monitor $440
http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-27MB85R-B
Asus PB278Q $408
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/PB278Q/
BenQ BL2711U $609
http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/bl2711u/

....and Dell U2715H $440
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ADKB
or

Dell P2715Q $573
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

Compared

with the Apple offerings:
Apple Thunderbolt Display (27 inch) $999
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC914LL/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch?fnode=8a

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-23 21:18:45 +0000, newshound said:

[...]

There

is also the BenQ SW2700PT $630
http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/sw2700pt/

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 16, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-23 22:07:27 +0000, Savageduck said:
On 2016-01-23 21:18:45 +0000, newshound said:

[...]

.....and if you are looking at a 4K, it is best that you read this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

Savageduck

Old January 24th 16, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 15:39:34 -0600, George Kerby
wrote:

Try this one: Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Has a three year warranty and is a bit over $400 on Amazon.

Got mine up and running a couple of days ago and calibrated with Apple
Calibration and Gamma. Looks great!

I have an older pair of almost matched 24" models and I can echo your
recommendations. I see a new line of the 24" screens is also
available.

On 1/23/16 3:18 PM, in article
, "newshound"

Old January 24th 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 23, 2016, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Try this one: Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Has a three year warranty and is a bit over $400 on Amazon.

Got mine up and running a couple of days ago and calibrated with Apple
Calibration and Gamma. Looks great!

I have an older pair of almost matched 24" models and I can echo your
recommendations. I see a new line of the 24" screens is also
available.

All-in-all there are some pretty good displays available these days without
having to pay silly money. One thing to consider is LG is reputed to be one
of the suppliers of panels for the Apple display. 24” is a good workspace,
but for not much more 27” gives you so much real-estate to play on.

For the OP the important things to consider are compatibility with his
MacBook Pro, and the logistics of placement on his workspace.

Savageduck