An interesting move by Canon

Old August 19th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Default An interesting move by Canon

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old August 19th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

Eric Miller wrote:
Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller

Don't discount the tilt-and-swivel LCD.
That's helluva useful.

"Quick-shot" mode, if it works well, will be enough to justify it by itself.

I'll be tempted - maybe.

--
Jeff R.

Old August 19th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Timmy Two Thumbs

"Eric Miller" wrote in message

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

F*cking hell, that press release is total b*llocks. I'd like to see a
photojournalist in a war zone using a Powershot. That's funny. ;-) They've
got the market totally wrong with this press release.

Go after the SLR users who want a smaller camera to carry with them instead
of their SLR when on holiday, etc. I have never known a corporate to be so
out of touch.

Old August 19th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Timmy Two Thumbs

"Timmy Two Thumbs" wrote in message
"Eric Miller" wrote in message

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

F*cking hell, that press release is total b*llocks. I'd like to see a
photojournalist in a war zone using a Powershot. That's funny. ;-)
They've got the market totally wrong with this press release.

Go after the SLR users who want a smaller camera to carry with them
instead of their SLR when on holiday, etc. I have never known a corporate
to be so out of touch.

They could possibly take photos in a secure area within the Helmand Province
of them eating Burger King Burgers maybe. ;-)

Old August 19th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Giftzwerg

In article ,
says...

F*cking hell, that press release is total b*llocks. I'd like to see a
photojournalist in a war zone using a Powershot. That's funny. ;-) They've
got the market totally wrong with this press release.

Go after the SLR users who want a smaller camera to carry with them instead
of their SLR when on holiday, etc. I have never known a corporate to be so
out of touch.

Two things I do like about this release:

(1) It's rare to see a camera design that acknowledges what the clueful
have been telling manufacturers for years; we've got enough frakking
"megapixels" already - what we need now is better high-ISO performance.

(2) The thing people hate most of all about P&S cameras is the often
painful shutter lag; nice to see some acknowledgement of this, as well.

From what I can see, the G11 might rate an upgrade from my G9.

--
Giftzwerg
***
Old August 19th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Timmy Two
Thumbs writes
"Timmy Two Thumbs" wrote in
message ...
"Eric Miller" wrote in message

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

F*cking hell, that press release is total b*llocks. I'd like to see
a photojournalist in a war zone using a Powershot. That's funny. ;-)
They've got the market totally wrong with this press release.

Go after the SLR users who want a smaller camera to carry with them
instead of their SLR when on holiday, etc. I have never known a
corporate to be so out of touch.

They could possibly take photos in a secure area within the Helmand
Province of them eating Burger King Burgers maybe. ;-)

AFAIK UK Armed forces use Nikon

Old August 19th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Timmy Two Thumbs

"Chris H" wrote in message

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

F*cking hell, that press release is total b*llocks. I'd like to see
a photojournalist in a war zone using a Powershot. That's funny. ;-)
They've got the market totally wrong with this press release.

Go after the SLR users who want a smaller camera to carry with them
instead of their SLR when on holiday, etc. I have never known a
corporate to be so out of touch.

They could possibly take photos in a secure area within the Helmand
Province of them eating Burger King Burgers maybe. ;-)

AFAIK UK Armed forces use Nikon

Nice to know. Makes no difference to my post though.

Old August 19th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PDM[_2_]

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

And about time too. The removal of the tilt & swivel LCD was a BIG mistake.
Maybe now think of replacing my ancient G3.

PDM

Old August 19th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

"Eric Miller" wrote:

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Ironic, the G11 has fewer pixels and faster sensor for mediocre
telephoto and the SX20 has more pixels and a noisier sensor for loooong
telephoto. Shouldn't it be the other way around.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -
Old August 19th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-08-19 06:24:09 -0700, "Eric Miller"
said:

Fewer megapixels, higher sensitivity, lower noise. (claimed)

Hmmm.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Very tempting. I don't know that I "need" a pocket camera, but this or
the Panasonic LX3 are what I would consider. I like the Canon's zoom
range.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor