A3 photo printers

Old July 18th 09, 04:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
PDM[_2_]

Default A3 photo printers

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:18:25 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting an A3 colour printer for photos. Low volume,
entry level price. Don't need exhibition quality, just for personal "fun"
use, a few posters for clubs, the occasional engineering drawing. What
makes
/ models would you suggest?

I wouldn't go past Epson. If you could stretch that far, get a 1900.

Or even the Epson 1400 (dye ink) for even less money.

PDM

Old July 19th 09, 10:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Newshound

wrote:

I'm thinking about getting an A3 colour printer for photos. Low volume,
entry level price. Don't need exhibition quality, just for personal "fun"
use, a few posters for clubs, the occasional engineering drawing. What
makes
/ models would you suggest?

I wouldn't go past Epson. If you could stretch that far, get a 1900.

Or even the Epson 1400 (dye ink) for even less money.

PDM

Many thanks. Had a bad experience with a basic Epson inkjet many years ago
but perhaps I was unlucky. 1900 would be overkill for what I want, but 1400
looks good.

Old July 20th 09, 04:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Arthur Entlich

I just noticed Brother now has an all in one inkjet which produces a
A3/11" x 17" prints. Model is MFC-6490CW and lists for $299 US.

Epson's cheapest model is the R1400, which uses the Claria dye inks. It
is relatively low maintenance, and produces very nice prints when
using photo quality papers. List price about $370 US Prints to 13" x 19"
(about B3 size).

HP K8600 (about $525 US) and Canon Pro 9000 Mark II prints to 13" x 19"
(about $500 US). They may have others as well, as I don;t follow their
models well.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old July 20th 09, 07:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Matti Partonen

"newshound" wrote in message
I'm thinking about getting an A3 colour printer for photos. Low volume,
entry level price. Don't need exhibition quality, just for personal "fun"
use, a few posters for clubs, the occasional engineering drawing. What
makes / models would you suggest?

I have a somewhat similar need (see a recent thread on HP Deskjet 1220
follow-on). I prefer familiar evils for unfamiliar ones, and so, as a
long-standing HP user, I ended up ordering a HP Officejet K7100. HP site
(www.hp.com) does not include this any more in its current offering, but HP
in my country still sells it. Price here is about 250 euros which would be
equivalent to some $200 or less. In addition to basic photo printing using 3
inks it permits replacing the black ink tank by a 3 additional colors for
enhanced photo printing with 6 inks. I considered the newer and more
expensive K8600 also; what tipped the scale in favor of K7100 was the
availability of inks. For the K8600 I would have to order by mail; for the
K7100 I get the inks at the nearest bookstore.

You did not say what your bad experience with Epson many years ago was. Long
ago a common problem with Epson was clogged printheads. I have used HP
printers for 10+ years, and while I have experienced my share of problems, I
have never had a clogged printhead.

Matti P.

Old July 20th 09, 08:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Newshound

[...]

Thanks. I *think* it included problems with clogged print heads, also
cartridges claiming to be empty and refusing to print even when they
contained ink

Old July 20th 09, 09:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Alienjones[_6_]

newshound wrote:

[...]

Epson printers way back when... Needed regular prints made with them to
stop ink drying out of the heads. The cartridge part full issue was
Epson's early attempts to prevent you emptying the cartridge and leaving
it for days on end while you get a new one. The lines themselves would
clog then.

Like a good heart management routine... Keep the arteries clean and
you'll have no problems! HP Dye printers tend to over saturate images
and kill fine detail unless you adjust an image to look very flat.

Epson generally have overcome all the problems consumers had with the
early models. The one thing about Epson that might make you buy one
instead of a Canon or HP is the availability of low cost inks.

Printer ink is more valuable (per ounce) than gold. Really, they could
give the printers away free and make their money out of ink sales. Even
pigment inks used in the big Epsons can be bought at 25% the cost of
genuine stuff and so many people are buying it, a whole raft of stuff is
available to service your printer and keep it in top condition (ink
wise) that anyone who does a lot of printing really can't go past one.

I use a r2880 with a CIS ink supply. It runs daily on non genuine inks
and has yet to give me any problems... I've used more than a litre of
ink per tank so far. The cost saving is enormous for me. I use it like a
chemical printer and instead of one.

Old July 21st 09, 10:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Newshound

"Alienjones" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that's really useful to know

Old July 22nd 09, 08:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Frédérique & Hervé Sainct

Alienjones wrote:

Printer ink is more valuable (per ounce) than gold. Really, they could
give the printers away free and make their money out of ink sales.

They do. At least here in France, I bought last week a couple of
cartridges for my (quite old) HP PSC1210, and only afterwards realized
buying a completely new printer (coming with its first cartridges) would
definitely have been 20E cheaper...

I'd recommend comparing the replacement cartridge cost (per ink volume)
before making up your mind...

--
Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [fr,es,en,it]
Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

Photo vs. all-in-one printers Zilla Other Photographic Equipment 0 January 25th 08 03:35 PM
Photo Printers ji Digital Photography 2 March 7th 06 03:53 AM
photo printers [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 5 January 9th 06 03:49 AM
Comparison of ink jet photo printers. Ian Anderson Digital Photography 6 December 29th 05 01:26 PM
Photo Printers 4x6 kahout Digital Photography 13 December 12th 04 11:04 PM