Inkjet printing both sides

Old March 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Default Inkjet printing both sides

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:

That's what I was trying to explain via this word description in a
previous email, perhaps not very effectively...

Also, if you print the card the right way and do a four way fold, if

you print the front and back in one direction, and the inside panels
upside down and fold it, you can print the whole card on one sheet on
one side. Using a full letter size (8.5" x 11" page, the card will end
up folded dimensions of 5.5" x 4.25" front surface with the two inside
panels being 5.5" x 8.5" total.
Art

snip

Ah, so you did, sorry! I must have skated quickly over that. Then used
the time gained by re-inventing the technique ;-) But I do admit to
feeling quite pleased with it. The finished card looks pretty good. In
fact I spent another hour or two going back over the various files I'd
used and making a 'template' which I can use in future, hopefully in a
fraction of the time that the original one took. It also positions
each of the 4 sections more symmetrically - that was the main aspect
with which I felt dissatisfied. I had to resort to trial and error
again to achieve these correct margins on each section. In essence, I
pushed each one diagonally out towards its corner.

With a wedding anniversary due soon, I'm thinking I might try the
single-fold alternative, to get a larger card. But I'm still keen to
make both sides glossy, so still hope someone can recommend suitable
(UK-supplied) paper please. And of course that will need a redesign of
all the image sizes and positions. Maybe a trip to WH Smith would be
easier ... but where's the fun in that?!

Chuckle You know, 20 years ago, when I was using an Atari 800 to do my
computing, we had a program by the name of Print Shop that did all that
layout stuff for you, just as Art described. You selected the clip art,
typed in the text when asked, and the program took care of sizing and
aligning everything so it would fold into a perfect card. Oh, the clip
art was simple and clunky by today's standards, and so were the fonts,
and all the printing was done in black, but we were using an 8-bit
computer to print graphics on a 9-pin dot matrix printer and we all
thought they looked pretty darn good. What mattered was that we were
being creative and best of all, having FUN.

TJ
Old March 22nd 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Paul Furman

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Arthur Entlich wrote:

Is the paper thin enough to clear through the paper transport? Is the
paper thick or rigid enough to get through the printer, and not get too
wet and soft, or bleed ink through the back?

I like printing color architectural renderings on thin tracing paper. It
has a nice tight almost glossy surface and doesn't require much ink. It
might be interesting with photos as an artsy experiment :-) It's amazing
such flimsy stuff can be fed through an inkjet.

.-------------------------------------.
|.----------------. .----------------.|
|| | | ||
|| Back | | Front ||
|| | | ||
|'----------------' '----------------'|
|.----------------. .----------------.|
|| | | ||
|| Inside Left | | Inside Left ||
|| | | ||
|'----------------' '----------------'|
'-------------------------------------'

The major problem I had was getting the images and gaps positioned
correctly for the folds. I was using PaintShop Pro 8, but I'm darned
if I've ever properly understood why the Print Preview can't give a
workably accurate representation of what I'll actually get. In the end
I resorted to trial/error, using b/w economy mode. If anyone has any
practical advice on this aspect I'd appreciate hearing it please.

Again, in reference to architectural CAD plotting: "plotting is always
painful" it is really hard to place things on the page and know the
margins. Ultimately trial and error, then plugging the real margins into
the custom paper size of the print driver and some registration marks in
the artwork so you can see where the margins are. Plus some room for slop.
Old March 22nd 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis

Terry Pinnell observed

With a wedding anniversary due soon, I'm thinking I might try the
single-fold alternative, to get a larger card. But I'm still keen to
make both sides glossy, so still hope someone can recommend suitable
(UK-supplied) paper please. And of course that will need a redesign of
all the image sizes and positions. Maybe a trip to WH Smith would be
easier ... but where's the fun in that?!

Any particular reason why you ignored my post of March 16th?
Repeat:-

My once favourite paper supplier (good deliver, reasonable prices)
recently blotted its copybook with me, by moving to the Channel Isles,
now the service is like other off shore companies.

However I have enjoyed the Think double sided matt paper for some years.
My last delivery was at increased price and the thickness (but not the
weight) has decreased. However, I still think the following may suit
you:-

http://www.choicestationery.co.uk/Product.asp?Prd=17342

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".

Old March 22nd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

It sounds that that paper is glossy one side and fairly matte the other
side. It is darn expensive!

Art

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Thanks Jim. Found several candidates, although they are a bit pricey.
Also, not sure any of them are glossy on *both* sides. This looks
closest, assuming 'satin' is rather like gloss:
ImaJet-Folex Hi & Dri 2/Side Coated Photo Gloss / Photo Matt Paper
220gsm; 1/Side Hi & Dri Photo-Gloss paper with the renowned Satin Matt
Coating on the reverse. 50 sheets A4 @ £25.00 (+VAT).

Old March 22nd 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I'm not sure if Print Shop is still out there (I had the Commodore
64/128 version, and the Amiga Version, as I recall), but I'm sure their
are some similar templates and programs like that today if you look
around... maybe even freeware. I rarely use templates in my graphics
work, but programs like Corel PrintHouse or PrintMaster or even some of
the more consumer oriented Adobe products may offer such options.

Art

Old March 22nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Hi Paul,

Are you referring to a tracing Vellum? Some of them are really
interesting to print on with inkjet.

Art

Old March 22nd 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Terry Pinnell

Michael J Davis wrote:

Terry Pinnell observed

[...]

Thanks, but as I said I'd really like gloss, and that's matt.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old March 22nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Arthur Entlich wrote:
I'm not sure if Print Shop is still out there (I had the Commodore
64/128 version, and the Amiga Version, as I recall), but I'm sure their
are some similar templates and programs like that today if you look
around... maybe even freeware. I rarely use templates in my graphics
work, but programs like Corel PrintHouse or PrintMaster or even some of
the more consumer oriented Adobe products may offer such options.

Art

http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?i...C2%2 C6%2C413

Print Master is there, too.

TJ
Old March 22nd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Paul Furman

Arthur Entlich wrote:
Hi Paul,

Are you referring to a tracing Vellum? Some of them are really
interesting to print on with inkjet.

Thinner, clearer, cheaper & smoother than vellum: called 'trace' or
'onion skin' comes in white and yellow, you just rip it off the roll
when sketching. Translucent like mylar.

Old March 22nd 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis

Terry Pinnell observed
Michael J Davis wrote:

Terry Pinnell observed

[...]

Oh, sorry! I find it ideal for cards!

No I don't know of any decent gloss 2 sided.