Canon SD1000 and Linux

Old November 16th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nick Fotis

Default Canon SD1000 and Linux

sid wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able
to plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our
photos. For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

Well, this has nothing to do with official Canon support.
I suspect that you can 'see' these cameras *despite* Canon's ignorance of
Linux.
Old Olympus P&S I used since 2004 were using the Mass Storage Protocol, and
my then-current Linux box was working like a charm - something that didn't
happen with any Canon cameras I have tried during that era towards 2006.

Maybe Canon has improved in this aspect for non-Windows platforms, but again
I wouldn't expect remote control via USB (most probably it's
reverse-engineered).

Cheers,
N.F.
Old November 16th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Nick Fotis

Matt wrote:

Okay, the specifications on page 137 of the SD1000 Advanced Camera User
Guide mentions MTP and PTP as "Communications Settings". I'm taking
that to mean that the camera will work with gPhoto.

At any rate, I would ask the reseller to verify explicitly that this camera
will work under Linux. Even if Canon refuses to explicitly endorse or not
the camera, they will listen to your 'customer remark'.

At worst, you can use a card reader and be done with that (that would save
also wear and tear on the USB mini-connector in the camera)

N.F.
Old November 17th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt[_4_]

Nick Fotis wrote:
Matt wrote:
Okay, the specifications on page 137 of the SD1000 Advanced Camera User
Guide mentions MTP and PTP as "Communications Settings". I'm taking
that to mean that the camera will work with gPhoto.

At any rate, I would ask the reseller to verify explicitly that this camera
will work under Linux.

ha ha, as if anyone I could reach at newegg would have a clue about it.

Even if Canon refuses to explicitly endorse or not
the camera, they will listen to your 'customer remark'.

that's a good one

It'll work.
Old November 17th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nick Fotis

Matt wrote:

that's a good one

It'll work.

There's no need to be sarcastic.

Sometime (maybe even in 2007), the heads in Canon HQ will take the message
that there are other platforms than Windows. After all, there are business
data that mention Linux having the second market share behind Windows and
in front of MacOS X. And maybe in the server market, things are not-so-rosy
for Windows.

But if you do explicitly ask them 'Does it work with Linux?', and implying
that you *may* get your business elsewhere, THAT will cause even the most
bored and uninterested retailer to take notice (at least in the USA, it
seems to work, compared to Greece, where customer protection is still in
its infancy).

Hope that you get my drift. If enough customers ask 'does it work under
Linux?', every supplier will have to get a positive answer, if they do not
want to risk losing customers.

Cheers,
N.F.
Old November 20th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt[_4_]

Nick Fotis wrote:
sid wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able
to plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our
photos. For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

Well, this has nothing to do with official Canon support.
I suspect that you can 'see' these cameras *despite* Canon's ignorance of
Linux.
Old Olympus P&S I used since 2004 were using the Mass Storage Protocol, and
my then-current Linux box was working like a charm - something that didn't
happen with any Canon cameras I have tried during that era towards 2006.

What Canon cameras have you tried with Linux? As I mention elsewhere,
the Advanced guide for the SD1000 (IXUS 70) claims that the camera
implements PTP and MTP. Maybe you didn't have the right software (e.g.
gphoto2) installed on your Linux system. I notice that gphoto2 does not
come standard on (e.g.) Ubuntu 7.04---you have to fetch it from a
non-Ubuntu repository.

Old November 20th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

Matt wrote:
Nick Fotis wrote:
sid wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:

[...]

I think you just need libgphoto2 which is used by other applications to
access cameras and related stuff. This package is in the standard Ubuntu
repository so it shouldn't be a problem.

However, in Edgy (7.04?), this package is in edgy-backports repository
which should be enable in the Package Sources list.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy-back...s/libgphoto2-2

In any case, if a user installs digikam or gthumb, the above library
package should automatically be installed.

regards,
-HS

Old November 20th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood[_3_]

Matt wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:
sid wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:

[...]

I have always found that GTKam is very handy.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l