Canon SD1000 and Linux

Old November 14th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Matt[_4_]

Default Canon SD1000 and Linux

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Canon SD1000 ...

Could I expect to use an SD1000 with Linux and gPhoto approximately as
well as I could use it with Windows and the Canon software?

Would I be able to read or even write the SD cards through an SD slot
using Linux, without special drivers?

Would I be able to format an SD card appropriately using Linux?

Thanks.
Old November 14th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Nick Fotis

Matt wrote:

Would I be able to read or even write the SD cards through an SD slot
using Linux, without special drivers?

No problem with a typical USB card reader under Linux (I use a Lexar one,
which works splendidly)
I use this card reader under SuSE Linux 9.3, and the JPEG files are
viewed/processed in various ways.

Would I be able to format an SD card appropriately using Linux?

Why not format the card inside the camera, *if* it is needed?

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux, this company has non-existent
support for this operating system (why they don't just implement the Mass
Storage Protocol or even PTP, is beyond me).

Cheers,
N.F.
Old November 14th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
ray

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:45:46 +0000, Matt wrote:

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Canon SD1000 ...

Could I expect to use an SD1000 with Linux and gPhoto approximately as
well as I could use it with Windows and the Canon software?

Yes. Worst case, if it doesn't recognize the camera directly, you get a
USB card reader - crucial.com has some nice inexpensive units - that's all
I use anyway - I have never plugged a camera in directly to transfer
pictures. The worst thing you can say about a card reader is that it saves
the camera batteries.

Would I be able to read or even write the SD cards through an SD slot
using Linux, without special drivers?

Yes. I do that on my laptop quite frequently - I use a card reader on the
desktops (mostly Ubuntu, but Gentoo on my mini-itx) never a moment's
problem.

Would I be able to format an SD card appropriately using Linux?

If you're using it in the camera, it's still best to format in the camera
- otherwise - yes.

Thanks.

Old November 14th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
H.S.

Matt wrote:
Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Canon SD1000 ...

Could I expect to use an SD1000 with Linux and gPhoto approximately as
well as I could use it with Windows and the Canon software?

Looks like yes (see the 6th bullet in "PTP2 driver" section):
http://www.gphoto.org/news/

And, from experience, camera-Linux works, IMHO, better than in Windows.

Would I be able to read or even write the SD cards through an SD slot
using Linux, without special drivers?

Yes. I do this all the time (though I use an external card reader
connected to the USB port, but yours is essentially the same thing as
this). You will get the card auto-detected, auto-mounted and opened in a
window or via a camera detection application, depending on your
preferences on your system.

Would I be able to format an SD card appropriately using Linux?

Sure. It is just memory, you can format it in whatever filesystem you
like, even ext3! However, I have never felt the need to. I might have
formatted an old 32 MB flash card though, that somebody didn't need
anymore and gave it to me. IIRC, there was a problem in its filesystem
and I formatted in Linux as vfat and started using it in a camera
without any problem. But usually, I format my cards within the camera.

Good luck,
-HS

Thanks.

Old November 14th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid

Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able to
plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our photos.
For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

hth
--
sid
RLU 300284
Old November 14th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:26:16 +0000, sid wrote:

Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able to
plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our photos.
For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

hth

Lucky you. But it's 'in spite of' canon rather than 'because of' canon -
their linux support is non-existent.

Old November 15th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Matt[_4_]

H.S. wrote:
Matt wrote:
Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Canon SD1000 ...

Could I expect to use an SD1000 with Linux and gPhoto approximately as
well as I could use it with Windows and the Canon software?

Looks like yes (see the 6th bullet in "PTP2 driver" section):
http://www.gphoto.org/news/

And, from experience, camera-Linux works, IMHO, better than in Windows.

Yes, and
http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Ca...hot_sd1000.php
lists these items under "CONNECTIVITY":

• USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (Mini-B, MTP, PTP)
• AV out

However the SD1000 specification page at the Canon website does not
mention PTP:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct
Old November 15th 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Matt[_4_]

Matt wrote:
H.S. wrote:
Matt wrote:
Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Canon SD1000 ...

Could I expect to use an SD1000 with Linux and gPhoto approximately as
well as I could use it with Windows and the Canon software?

Looks like yes (see the 6th bullet in "PTP2 driver" section):
http://www.gphoto.org/news/

And, from experience, camera-Linux works, IMHO, better than in Windows.

Yes, and
http://www.infoborder.com/Digital_Ca...hot_sd1000.php
lists these items under "CONNECTIVITY":

• USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (Mini-B, MTP, PTP)
• AV out

However the SD1000 specification page at the Canon website does not
mention PTP:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct

Okay, the specifications on page 137 of the SD1000 Advanced Camera User
Guide mentions MTP and PTP as "Communications Settings". I'm taking
that to mean that the camera will work with gPhoto.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Old November 15th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt[_4_]

sid wrote:
Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able to
plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our photos.
For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

hth

That seems to be consistent with the mention of PTP and MTP in the
specifications of the SD1000 Advanced Camera User Manual.

Thanks for your help.
Old November 15th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Nick Fotis wrote:

Do not expect Canon to be 'seen' from Linux

That's funny, both my A95 and my 350D and my daughters A540 are all able to
plug into our linux boxes and use various programs to download our photos.
For example, Gthumb, DigiKam, Gphoto to name but three.

Lucky you. But it's 'in spite of' canon rather than 'because of' canon -
their linux support is non-existent.

They don't need to support linux, all they need to do is to support
standard system independent file and directory formats, and these days
Micros**t systems are grown up enough that you can be doing that
without even realising it. Some MP3 players that come free in
cornflake packets do it.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[