Dpreview, Slyware or spyware?

Old October 27th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default Dpreview, Slyware or spyware?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:07:09 -0000, Charlie Self
wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:41 pm, irwell wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:25:42 -0000, Charlie Self

wrote:
On Oct 27, 4:45 am, John Bean wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:42:01 -0700, irwell
wrote:

Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?

I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.

Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?

Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.

It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.

--
John Bean

He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

You've got it in one. DPreview are the phoniest of them all,
banning at the drop of a hat for what they consider ethical
violations. As a little test try typing Amazon.com Porn Photography
on one the forums and see what happens to you.

That's a test of what? Your lack of common sense?

No a test of their standards.
Amazon.com have books on Porn Photography listed,
DPreview bans any links or references to such sites
in their forums, now they are owned by Amazon, just see how ethical
they are.
Old October 27th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

irwell wrote:

wrote:
Is Dpreview infecting our computers with spyware, or rather slyware?
I have noticed that some of my Amazon.com enquiries/orders of things
like a digital watch, or a certain mempry card or a book are showing
up on an advertising side bar when logging into the Dpreview website.
Seems they are somehow linking up, cookies?
Do you know who owns dpreview? If you do then I don't
understand your surprise.
It's a bit like wondering why ebay has links to paypal.
--
John Bean
He's not surprised: he's trying to cause trouble with innuendo. He and
RichA are a pair when it comes to finding fantasy faults with DPR.

Pretty simple to run a clean up program to rid a system of dpreview's
adware.

Zonealarm and Spybot don't seem to do it.
What do you suggest?

er .. I am not sure exactly sure what kind of adware these are, but
browsing the sites using Firefox should be safe. Then doing "clean
private data" should get rid of all memory of visiting them.

To answer your query, what about adaware? I usually use this and spybot
if I want to get rid of such malware ... a need which has never risen
since I started using Firefox a few years ago.

-HS

Old October 27th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. I am using K-meleon for my browser, a
trimmed down version of Firefox.
Old October 28th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Sparky" wrote in message
ps.com...
A sites cookies can not be read by any other site.

To which I reply...

Actually, they can be read by any other site!

If the DPReview site is setting an Amazon.com cookie, then both DPReview and
Amazon.com will be able to read those cookies because while the site names
are different, the cookie DOMAINS are the same. This is one way that
multiple sites owned by the same corporate entity can be read across
websites. (In fact, unless they changed this in the last year or so, this
behavior was also visible with Amazon.com's Alexa internet service--the
cookie set was Amazon.com, rather than Alexa.com.)

Now, I have Amazon.com in my Restricted Sites zone in MSIE, so I don't ever
get an Amazon.com cookie even if I visit a site owned by Amazon.com;
however, someone who does have cookies enabled for all sites can probably
confirm whether or not an Amazon.com cookie is being set when one visits
DPReview. If so, then both DPReview and Amazon.com can read the same cookie,
since both sites are Amazon.com entities.