I really enjoy Photography and this forum but......

Old October 23rd 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tea Sunrise

Default I really enjoy Photography and this forum but......

....there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

Old October 23rd 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RichGK

On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise wrote:
...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.

You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.

Old October 23rd 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sparky[_3_]

On Oct 23, 7:22 am, RichGK wrote:
On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.

You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.

google groups can send you alerts of topics with only cretin keywords

Old October 23rd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:
...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such). The
way I remember Usenet, each seperate newsgroup was hosted by a
particular server somewhere. Many were in obscure networks, often
Universities. Who hosts Usenet groups these days? Is it up to the
sysop of these networks to try and catch the spam at this point?

I am firmly opposed to moderated newsgroups (I try to use one that is
down for years at a time when the moderator dies or becomes disabled
with no co-moderator ever created). But it would be nice to do
SOMETHING. I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
lot of really juvenile posts.

Old October 23rd 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Oct 23, 4:51 pm, Don Stauffer in Minnesota
wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such).

Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.

Old October 23rd 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:12 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

This brings up some questions I have about Usenet. It seems to be
falling apart. Many ISPs no longer support it. My ISP provides it but
will not act on any Usenet problems so I now use Google, which also
seems to be having problems lately (dropped messages and such).

Yes, my ISP also stopped providing it altogether last year, so I now
use google groups. It seems to be happening more and more recently.

Yup, same here. Bell Sympatico dropped it last year I think

I asked them about it and their reply was that not many people use
newsgroups anymore.
Old October 23rd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ChrisM

I also consider rpd to be one of the worst groups for a
lot of really juvenile posts.

Good grief! You should see some of the NGs I try to use. This one is
positively well behaved in comparison!!

Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)

Old October 23rd 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Sparky wrote:
On Oct 23, 7:22 am, RichGK wrote:
On 23 Oct, 14:12, Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

One way is to get a newsreader client such as 40tude dialog (I mention
it because it's what I use at home) where you can create rules to
filter out certain posters, topics, cross posts etc. Outlook express
will do it to a certain degree but it is no way configurable to the
extent that a good dedicated newsreader is.

You can also do stuff like get it to automatically highlight your own
and other peoples posts to make finding them easier.

google groups can send you alerts of topics with only cretin keywords

Was the "cretin" part a Freudian slip??
Old October 23rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:58 -0000
Tea Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

The current issue of Scientific American has a brief report on research
into cockroach decapitation. It turns out that decapitated cockroach
bodies can survive a week or more. Severed cockroach heads survive
(continue to wiggle antennae, etc) for several hours.

I propose that we conduct this experiment on spammers. They are the
cockroaches of the net, after all. May not be the best solution, but
I like it.

:0)

If that won't fly, then the worst of it can be filtered out by a
reasonable newsreader. Apparently, even the much-maligned Outlook
Express has some capability in this area.

But, filtering on the client side is like painting the inside of
your basement to stop water leaking through from a burst main
out in the yard. The basement may be temporarily dry, but the
yard is a lake and the foundation is being undermined.

Which brings me back to decapitation of spammers...

Paul Allen
Old October 23rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article .com, Tea
Sunrise wrote:

...there seems to be a lot of spam posts on here. Is the best way of
dealing with this weeding through the spam to get to the interesting
posts?

Just look for my name as the poster - then you're guaranteed of top
quality content each and every time. :-)