User review Canon a720 IS

Old October 13th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim Nagy

Default User review Canon a720 IS

In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

commando1854 wrote:
On Sep 27, 8:48 am, "Paul van Andel" wrote:
Hi all,

I bought the Canon A720, and since no reviews are out there I wrote my own
:-)http://www.cpr.demon.nl/canon/index.html

Regards
Paul

Hi,
I just got one as well. It has many great features, almost allowing
DSLR flexibility in a small camera.
Two problems though.
1) When shooting solid midtone objects at dusk (no real range-just
shots of grass in even light-did this as a test), they are
consistently overexposed. The histogram shows photos I know to be

I have found that every one of my Canons treat green items as if they
were black. They are consistently overexposed, as the camera tries to
make them look grey. I routinely reduce exposure by about 1 stop if the
scene contains a lot of green.

--
Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics
Old October 14th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
wraith

On Sep 27, 9:48 pm, "Paul van Andel" wrote:
Hi all,

I bought the Canon A720, and since no reviews are out there I wrote my own
:-)http://www.cpr.demon.nl/canon/index.html

Regards
Paul

Hi All
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Just got camera on Friday
and I can't get the data & time to stay set. I have followed
instructions and also replaced CR1220 battery. Date and time set but
once camera is turned off then on again it is asking me to set date
and time again. Help appreciated. Its taking photos ok and am having
fun with the macro.

Old October 14th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:23:52 -0700, wraith wrote:

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Just got camera on Friday
and I can't get the data & time to stay set. I have followed
instructions and also replaced CR1220 battery. Date and time set but
once camera is turned off then on again it is asking me to set date
and time again. Help appreciated. Its taking photos ok and am having
fun with the macro.

You could test the voltage of the CR1220 batteries, but it's
*very* unlikely that both the one installed in the camera and the
replacement (new, right?) were bad. So either the camera is
defective and should be returned immediately for another, or perhaps
due to Canon's less than stellar quality control, the CR1220 was
inserted backwards in the factory, and you followed their lead with
the replacement. Whether putting the battery in backwards is easily
possible or not, I'd guess that the most likely scenario is that the
camera is defective, unless . . . set the date/time once more, take
a picture, and without turning off the camera, check the date/time
either by setting it or by examining the photo's date/time on the
computer. It's in the photo's EXIF data. This is just to check for
the possibility that after setting the time, you exited the menu
improperly, canceling the time-setting operation.

Old October 16th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Jim Nagy wrote:

I have found that every one of my Canons treat green items as if they
were black. They are consistently overexposed, as the camera tries to
make them look grey. I routinely reduce exposure by about 1 stop if the
scene contains a lot of green.

Yes, I've seen this even in a Canon DSLR, the Rebel aka 350D.
It appears that red-brown rock walls (as in the Grand Canyon)
are also overexposed.

Some Nikon high-end models have color-sensitive autoexposure,
but I don't know the details.

Old October 16th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.

Jim Nagy wrote:
In article , Chris Malcolm
wrote:

commando1854 wrote:
[...]

I read the original post a few days ago and took some outdoor pictures
with my Canon A520 -- mostly under overcast conditions. Looks like I
have to agree with this observation -- the pictures I took at 2/3 or 1
stop under appear to be better than with no compensation. And a few of
the pictures were of a gray stone building! The conclusion is
non-scientific of course, but it definitely is going to make me remember
this point.

-HS