Why no 8 x 12 Photo Paper

Old May 22nd 07, 03:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Arthur Entlich

Default Why no 8 x 12 Photo Paper

Where would you crop these photos?
(Mine):

http://www.pbase.com/markuson/landscapes

I don't want to...because I utilize the entire frame. Who wants to waste
pixels?

Obviously, composition is very personal and each will have different
approaches, so this isn't a criticism as much as a different POV. I
find many of the images you referenced overly tightly cropped as they
are. I would have photographed most wider and then cropped them into an
even longer version, since most are horizontal landscapes, which for me,
at least, are too cramped in terms of their current width. Your couple
of panoramic images allow for the kind of breath I would prefer to
represent in these kinds of landscape.

So, I'm not sure 8" x 12" paper would have worked for the way I would
have wished to represent these types of images. My versions might have
tended toward 8" x 14-16" probably. Perhaps not a "standard" but I'm
not after standards, I want my vision to me presented in a manner that
best flatters the subject matter. ;-)

Art
Old May 22nd 07, 04:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
Although I appreciate the sentiment, just logically, if there is to be a
leader in waste, or overuse of a resource, it is almost always the US,
so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the US used more paper
than the rest of the world combined. They seems to do very well in their
resource abuse of most other things, so why not paper products ;-)

If a tree falls in any forest globally, where are the products from it
likely destined to? The US...
Screw off with you anti-US sentiments.

I've been reading top posting Arthur's posts for some time and have seen
no pattern of anti-U.S. statements, actually, maybe not even a hint.

I've lived in California for 25 years, and have a good idea what goes on
in the rest of the country. He's right: The U.S. is the leader in per
capita waste.

There is a hint.

I wouldn't call it abuse, We use allot of resources, no doubt. We also
produce quite a bit and have an economy that keeps most of us fed and
gainfully employed.

Here a little research for you, give me the top ten countries with the
highest GNP?

Why should I do that? I have a good idea, but I ain't looking it up (nor
stating it on usenet).

I live in America but have traveled to the darkest regions of the planet and
have a good idea what goes on there.

Excellent.

What are you really taking issue with? Or: With what are you really
taking issue?

Please give a few specifics.

--
john mcwilliams
Old May 22nd 07, 04:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Benveniste

"Al Dykes" wrote:

FWIW, Red River has paper in a wide range of sizes, but no 8x12. Was
the OP talking about 8.5x11? They have that. You wouldn't lose that
much using 8.5x14.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/shopbypapersize.html

For a modest fee, Red River Paper will happily cut down their
8.5x14" paper to 8x12" for you.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/CS/customsizes.htm

--
Michael Benveniste --

Old May 22nd 07, 05:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark˛

Arthur Entlich wrote:
[...]

Perfectly fine thoughts Art. Part of the issue has to do with cost but
other times it involves other practicalities. -If there is motion in the
shot, panoramas are tricky...so unless you've got the raw pixels to spare,
it means cropping a single shot. This works to a point... My intent is
actually to work on creating more panos in the future, as they always draw
my eye as they do yours.

With regard to that even WIDER aspect ratio...that's just greater reason why
the suggestion (by others) to crop to an even MORE squeezed 8x10 is not
attractive to me at all.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old May 22nd 07, 01:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TJ

ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:17:53 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

: prior to A4 there was Foolscap - 8˝ × 13˝ inches (216 × 343 mm)

The metric dimensions of Foolscap are probably irrelevant. I believe it
originated in England long before England went metric.

How widely accepted a standard did the size of Foolscap become anyway?
Foolscap originated as a proprietary product, taking its name from the
watermark applied by its manufacturer.

I don't know its actual dimensions, but that seems to be about the
size of legal pads, 8˝" x something slightly greater than 11".

US legal size is 8 1/2" x 14", if that's what you're referring to. I
don't know about non-US sizes. Never had occasion to look it up.

TJ

Old May 22nd 07, 01:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:24:40 -0400, TJ wrote:

: prior to A4 there was Foolscap - 8˝ × 13˝ inches (216 × 343 mm)

The metric dimensions of Foolscap are probably irrelevant. I believe it
originated in England long before England went metric.

How widely accepted a standard did the size of Foolscap become anyway?
Foolscap originated as a proprietary product, taking its name from the
watermark applied by its manufacturer.

I don't know its actual dimensions, but that seems to be about the
size of legal pads, 8˝" x something slightly greater than 11".

US legal size is 8 1/2" x 14", if that's what you're referring to. I
don't know about non-US sizes. Never had occasion to look it up.

Yes, thanks. Arthur also pointed out that ˝" discrepancy.
Fortunately there are no cameras that take Foolscap size film plates
(forget about Fs size sensors), or there would surely be complaints
possibly leading to legal action from lawyers over not being able to
take true macro 1:1 shots of their legal pads. g

Old May 22nd 07, 05:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DBLEXPOSURE[_2_]

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
[...]

John,

The thread is about paper, frame sizes etc, not about global politics.
This guy obviously has a chip on his shoulder about America and used this
thread to take a little shot. I'm not gonna let that pass by with out
taking a shot in return and to you I will defend my right to do so. Mr.
Arthur has emailed me off-line with his particular view of America and I do
believe that my read-between-the-lines was right on target.

He has asked me not to post it in this forum, as much as would like to I
will not unless pushed to do so.

As not to get a tongue lashing for ranting on about a seriously off-topic
discussion I will make this brief, Take your political opinions elsewhere.

Patrick Ziegler
www.imagequest.ifp3.com

Old May 23rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: He has asked me not to post it in this forum, as much as would like to I
: will not unless pushed to do so.
:
: As not to get a tongue lashing for ranting on about a seriously off-topic
: discussion I will make this brief, Take your political opinions elsewhere.
:
: Patrick Ziegler
: www.imagequest.ifp3.com

Are you Ron Ziegler's kid? If so, that factoid might have a certain amount of
explanatory value, I suppose.

(For those who don't remember, Ron Ziegler was Richard M. Nixon's mouthpiece
during the first several months of the Watergate fiasco.)

Bob
Old May 23rd 07, 08:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DBLEXPOSURE[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Yes Bob, how did you figure it out. You are so clever. There is only one
familiy with that name in the entire U.S.

And thanks for the history lesson.

Hey, are you Robert Glen Coe's brother?

http://www.dprc.us/Robert%20Glen%20Coe.htm

Ass.

Old May 24th 07, 02:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Arthur Entlich

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:

Hey, are you Robert Glen Coe's brother?

http://www.dprc.us/Robert%20Glen%20Coe.htm

Ass.

Sorry that this is off topic...

Did you actually read the link you posted below (and above)?

Robert Glen Coe was a man who was convicted of murder and kidnap and who
was ultimately executed. He was mentally handicapped, and in all
likelihood innocent of the crimes.

Also, I don't know of too many families who have brothers with the same
first name, except for those two guys from the Bob Newhart show ;-)

Art