Want 8x12 Epson or HP Photo Paper?

Old May 22nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Menno

Default Want 8x12 Epson or HP Photo Paper?

Frank Arthur wrote:
Want 8x12 Epson or HP Photo Paper?

Ask for it.

No need to, it already exists. It is called A4. With it's dimensions of
210mm x 297 mm, it's almost 2:3 and you can print your 8' x 12' images
with minimal paper loss. The beauty of ISO paper sizes is that all sizes
have the same length:width ratio. See
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html. That's why the ISO paper
formats are the world standard; it's very practical! Only old fashioned
North-America cannot understand that and must stick to the old fashioned
formats like letter, legal etc. together with the old fashioned
unpractical inches, miles, pounds, onces etc. The SI-system (aka
"metric") is really much easier to work with.
See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Step into the 21st century!
Old May 22nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dj_nme

Menno wrote:

Frank Arthur wrote:

Want 8x12 Epson or HP Photo Paper?

Ask for it.

No need to, it already exists. It is called A4. With it's dimensions of
210mm x 297 mm, it's almost 2:3 and you can print your 8' x 12' images
with minimal paper loss. The beauty of ISO paper sizes is that all sizes
have the same length:width ratio. See
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html. That's why the ISO paper
formats are the world standard; it's very practical! Only old fashioned
North-America cannot understand that and must stick to the old fashioned
formats like letter, legal etc. together with the old fashioned
unpractical inches, miles, pounds, onces etc. The SI-system (aka
"metric") is really much easier to work with.
See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Step into the 21st century!

You mean "step into the 1970's", don't you?
German paper standard DIN 476 was adopted as an ISO standard for paper
sizes as ISO 216 and as the official United Nations document format in 1975.

Incidently, German DIN 476 was adopted in 1922.

Paraphrased from http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/Art_App3.htm
Old May 22nd 07, 05:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Menno" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
Want 8x12 Epson or HP Photo Paper?

Ask for it.

No need to, it already exists. It is called A4. With it's dimensions of
210mm x 297 mm, it's almost 2:3 and you can print your 8' x 12' images
with minimal paper loss. The beauty of ISO paper sizes is that all sizes
have the same length:width ratio. See
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html. That's why the ISO paper
formats are the world standard; it's very practical! Only old fashioned
North-America cannot understand that and must stick to the old fashioned
formats like letter, legal etc. together with the old fashioned
unpractical inches, miles, pounds, onces etc. The SI-system (aka "metric")
is really much easier to work with.
See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html

Step into the 21st century!

I agree and have been a long time strong advocate of switching to Metrics.
Unfortunately Americans would sooner die than give up their inch system.
A4 would be great but available mats, frames etc are for 8 x 12 inches and
A4 mats or frames are not sold here.

Old May 22nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DaveC

Or you can buy 12" x 16", 12" x 18" and 13" x 19" papers and cut them to
some appropriate size. The 12" x 16" papers (mainly available for
artists) would make two 12" x 8" papers with no waste at all. The
others allow for a number of options, like having borders, or adjusting
the image size somewhat.

Art

Take a stack of any of the above papers to any print shop (not a photocopy
shop) and ask that they put it on their guillotine cutter and cut to any
dimension you wish. Probably US$1 per cut. That's what we charge.

Yes, Frank, it might be better if 12x8 were available, but how much energy
are you going to waste trying to make the world fit your model?

Life's too short. Spend more of it looking through the viewfinder... (c:

Enjoy,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Old May 23rd 07, 02:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dj_nme

Frank Arthur wrote:

"Menno" wrote in message

Frank Arthur wrote:

[...]

A4 paper should fit in a 8x12in matt, assuming that the hole in the matt
is actualy slightly smaller, so the the edge of the 8x12in paper is
captive all the way around.
8x12in is 203x305mm and A4 is 210x297mm, so if their is a 1/4in (or
there-abouts) overlap between the opening in the 8x12in matt and the
8x12in paper, it will quite happily hold A4 paper as well.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"dj_nme" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:

"Menno" wrote in message

Frank Arthur wrote:

[...]

And now to find A4 paper in the USA?

Old May 23rd 07, 04:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dj_nme

Frank Arthur wrote:

"dj_nme" wrote in message

Frank Arthur wrote:

"Menno" wrote in message

snip
I agree and have been a long time strong advocate of switching to
Metrics.
Unfortunately Americans would sooner die than give up their inch system.
A4 would be great but available mats, frames etc are for 8 x 12 inches
and
A4 mats or frames are not sold here.

A4 paper should fit in a 8x12in matt, assuming that the hole in the matt
is actualy slightly smaller, so the the edge of the 8x12in paper is
captive all the way around.
8x12in is 203x305mm and A4 is 210x297mm, so if their is a 1/4in (or
there-abouts) overlap between the opening in the 8x12in matt and the
8x12in paper, it will quite happily hold A4 paper as well.

And now to find A4 paper in the USA?

I suppose that I'm spoiled for choice in that case, not living in the USA.
I could send you some for a small fee ;-)
Old May 23rd 07, 05:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ivor Jones

"dj_nme" wrote in message

Frank Arthur wrote:

"dj_nme" wrote in message

[snip]

And now to find A4 paper in the USA?

I suppose that I'm spoiled for choice in that case, not
living in the USA. I could send you some for a small fee
;-)

Or me, I could do with some letter size, can't get that here in the UK at
all.

BTW not wanting to start a row, but as someone who grew up with inches,
gallons etc. I am very much opposed to being forced to use the metric
system, I just don't understand it, nor why it has to be forced on us
whether we want it or not. Fortunately, the European Union has just backed
down on a plan to force us to use metric only measurements when buying
food, so it is no longer illegal to sell apples by the pound ;-)

Ivor

Old May 24th 07, 02:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Arthur Entlich

And now to find A4 paper in the USA?

That might be an easier argument to sell to the inkjet printer
companies, actually. Since they already market such a product, it may
be easier to get them to consider distributing the A4 dimensioned paper
in North America. As mentioned by others, it isn't exactly the
dimensions you are looking for, but with a slight reduction you can get
the aspect ratio your were after without waste.

Art

Frank Arthur wrote:

"dj_nme" wrote in message