How to use a Pictbridge-only Photo Printer with Windows XP PC?

Old December 23rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
[email protected]

Default How to use a Pictbridge-only Photo Printer with Windows XP PC?

Hi,

I recently received a photo printer - Polaroid P310 - which says that
it is a "Pictbridge" printer. There are no CD ROMs or drivers. I was
able to use this printer with my pictbridge Nikon camera but was not
able to connect this to my PC running Windows XP. All the picutres that
i had taken earlier are on the computer hard drive. Is there any
software that I can install on Windows XP to use the printer with my
computer and print the old photos?

Alternately, can i move the photos back from the computer to the
Compact Flash card in the Camera and then print them from camera?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
GS

Old December 23rd 06, 05:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
ray

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:42:01 -0800, bunty.gopal wrote:

Hi,

I recently received a photo printer - Polaroid P310 - which says that
it is a "Pictbridge" printer. There are no CD ROMs or drivers. I was
able to use this printer with my pictbridge Nikon camera but was not
able to connect this to my PC running Windows XP. All the picutres that
i had taken earlier are on the computer hard drive. Is there any
software that I can install on Windows XP to use the printer with my
computer and print the old photos?

Alternately, can i move the photos back from the computer to the
Compact Flash card in the Camera and then print them from camera?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
GS

The pictbridge driver is probably a real problem. But there is no reason
in the world you can't copy photos to the CF card and print from the
camera - you may have to make sure they get in the correct folder.

Old December 23rd 06, 09:58 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
[...]

Yes, there ARE reasons. Cameras often won't handle any picture they
didn't take, or that is not the particular compression scheme that
camera uses, or that have been edited in any way.
Old December 23rd 06, 01:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
J. Clarke

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:42:01 -0800, bunty.gopal wrote:

Hi,

I recently received a photo printer - Polaroid P310 - which says that
it is a "Pictbridge" printer. There are no CD ROMs or drivers. I was
able to use this printer with my pictbridge Nikon camera but was not
able to connect this to my PC running Windows XP. All the picutres that
i had taken earlier are on the computer hard drive. Is there any
software that I can install on Windows XP to use the printer with my
computer and print the old photos?

Alternately, can i move the photos back from the computer to the
Compact Flash card in the Camera and then print them from camera?

Any help appreciated.

If you look at
http://www.polaroid-digital.com/?cid=14&lid=1&serid=67&pid=290 you will
find a notation that "this printer will not work from a PC connection".

Thanks,
GS

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Bill Funk

On 22 Dec 2006 19:42:01 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I recently received a photo printer - Polaroid P310 - which says that
it is a "Pictbridge" printer. There are no CD ROMs or drivers. I was
able to use this printer with my pictbridge Nikon camera but was not
able to connect this to my PC running Windows XP. All the picutres that
i had taken earlier are on the computer hard drive. Is there any
software that I can install on Windows XP to use the printer with my
computer and print the old photos?

Alternately, can i move the photos back from the computer to the
Compact Flash card in the Camera and then print them from camera?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
GS

That's a re-badged Lexmark 310, and isn't capable of being connected
to a PC.
Usually, that printer is sold bundled with a camera, because that's
how it's designed to be used. It does have card inputs (Compact Flash
Type I, Compact Flash Type II, Memory Stick, Secure Digital (SD),
Multimedia Card, xD Picture Card, MicroDrive, Memory Stick Pro), so it
should be able to read JPEGs from the inserted card.
So, yes, you should be able to put your image files on a CF card, and
the printer should read them.
Be aware of the lack of an output tray; the prints get spit out onto
whatever is below the front of the printer.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
ray

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:58:49 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

ray wrote:
[...]

Really! On four digital cameras, I've never experienced that problem. And
the OP indicated, without saying so directly, that he wanted to reload the
pictures he had previously taken - one would think they would be
compatible.

Old December 24th 06, 01:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
[...]

IF they haven't been edited, and recompressed, had the EXIF data
removed, or any number of other possible things that would cause some
cameras to choke on them.
My experience is with Kodak and Olympus cameras. The Kodaks are fairly
forgiving, but the old Oly didn't like anything to be changed.
Old December 24th 06, 03:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
ray

ray wrote:
[...]

OK - I was not aware of that. Other posts indicate that the printer has
memory card slots, so it's probably a moot point. In my experience
printers with built in card readers will generally handle whatever you've
done with a jpeg - though that experience is limited.