Ron - Kodak guy

Old December 22nd 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Ron - Kodak guy

Roy G wrote:
"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Update your operating system to XP.

Windows 98 is obsolete and is a total pain in the arse to work with compared
to XP.

It is almost impossible to buy any hardware which you can be sure will work
with 98.

You might just be able to find a card reader which can be persuaded to work
with 98, and that will be almost the only way you will be able to download
photos from any Camera to your computer system.

Get into the 21st Century, it is now almost 6 years old.

Roy G

While I agree that Win98 is far past its use life, it is NOT necessary
(or advisable) to upgrade such an old, and underpowered machine to
WinXP. It would be throwing good money after bad. In either case, it
has NOTHING to do with the camera, which will work just find with Win98
and a card reader (should he be able to find a Win98 compatible one).
Old December 22nd 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
W Paul Mills

Old December 22nd 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

pjp wrote:
Comments interspersed within ...

"Roy G" wrote in message
"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to

upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

Update your operating system to XP.

Why, it adds no additional functionality and introduces a pile of extra bs.

Shows that you know very little about either OS.

Windows 98 is obsolete and is a total pain in the arse to work with

compared
to XP.

Not true.

It is almost impossible to buy any hardware which you can be sure will

work
with 98.

Not true

You might just be able to find a card reader which can be persuaded to

work
with 98, and that will be almost the only way you will be able to download
photos from any Camera to your computer system.

Not true, my Fuji S602Z and daughters "whatever" plus couple of mp3 players,
three webcams etc. all work fine under 98SE

If a USB driver that supports seeing external card readers as disk
drives can be found, there will be problem using the camera's SD cards
with the Win98 machine.

Get into the 21st Century, it is now almost 6 years old.

Oh I'm supposed to go out and buy Vista now so MS can **** me around even
more with another level of "control". Geez, I gave up on Vax/VMS in the mid
80's because I loved a pc because it was Personal. Now it might as well be
another mini/mainframe for it's restrictions. And never forget it's MS's own
design that they're hacking as they go to make work.

Grin. You have some problem with buying your OS?

Roy G

Old December 22nd 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
W Paul Mills

Old December 22nd 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mrsgator88

"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

I'll answer this as a person who has 98se computers at work and home, and as
someone who's used Kodak cameras.

Don't use the Kodak software. Use a card reader.

Consider using XP. Really I hated it, for many reasons and many of the same
reasons you do. But it handles pictures so much better than 98se that all
my picture work is done on an XP box now. There really is a difference.
Good programs for offloading and managing pictures like Adobe Photoshop
Album or Picasa probably only run on XP.

I was forced into XP. My old laptop was a win95, and it finally needed
replacing, and all that was available was XP. Then I got a miniDV
camcorder, then a DVD burner. Had a lot of fun, then got a "real" digital
camera a couple of years later. I use 98se as my main computer at work, and
still use my 98se at home for DTP and many other things, but not
photography.

Cameras that support 98se will haunt you in other ways. These are likely
older models. In digital photography older means slower, slower startup
speeds, longer shutter lag, longer waits between shots. Better to get or
keep a newer camera and just use the card reader.

Check the Sunday papers. Practically every week you can find an XP computer
with built-in card readers in front for $399 or less. Think of it as a
photography workstation. The pictures download so much faster, there really
is a difference. Get a KVM switch and you can switch between your regular
computer and your XP computer using the same keyboard, video monitor, and
mouse. KVM switches are under $20 on ebay. An if you're ever going to do
video, forget 98se.

Good Luck!

Old December 22nd 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

pjp wrote:
"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
"pjp" wrote:

Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to

upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

You should say thank you to Kodak. The Windows 95 series of OSes are as

bad
as everything the Mac crazies say about them, and the NT series are as

good
as everything the Mac crazies say about Unix. Same ugly Windows face, but
under the hood, completely different.

Friends don't let friends use Windows 95/98/ME/SE

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I'll say thanks to Kodak when they decide to throw in the OS for free that
they demand be used.

BS - I have all told 7 pc's networked in house. All can run XP but I only
have it installed on one of them AND it's not the one that anyone uses to
connect to the net. XP's as much if not more of a pain in the ass as any MS
OS. BTW - and there's nothing I can do under XP I can't also do under 98SE
that I've found to date (except not run products that basically demand XP).

OH? Recover from a locked up user where a program has seized 100% of
CPU time? How about running most of the current crop of software? How
about maintaining security? XP is a vastly improved OS over the earlier
ones from MS. It has its problems, but compared to Win9x version, it is
heaven.

My attitude is 'bunch of moronic robots, we should be demanding MS fix their
damn buggy software by redesigning it and providing it gratis to those of us
suckers enough to believe their hype in the first place. Instead the add
patch onto patch onto patch to mask/hide the flaws in their basic design
then at some point call it a new version so they can do it all again'

Old December 22nd 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:23:19 GMT, pjp wrote:

I'll say thanks to Kodak when they decide to throw in the OS for free that
they demand be used.

BS - I have all told 7 pc's networked in house. All can run XP but I only
have it installed on one of them AND it's not the one that anyone uses to
connect to the net. XP's as much if not more of a pain in the ass as any MS
OS. BTW - and there's nothing I can do under XP I can't also do under 98SE
that I've found to date (except not run products that basically demand XP).

I'm now using XP but before that used Win95 while using several
Canon and Fuji cameras. The photo software provided by both
companies was installed and quickly forgotten. I suspect that
Kodak's software is no better, and if so, there's absolutely no
reason to worry about using the C743 with your daughter's PIII
because it's not needed as long as her computer can accommodate a
card reader. Win98SE has long been the "minimum requirement" for
adding USB support to older computers. My Win95 computer didn't
have USB ports but it had two working card readers. A slow
parallel port based reader and a very fast SCSI based reader. While
it's possible that some facet of Kodak's photo software might be
needed, it's highly unlikely. If you keep the C743 and eventually
find that the included software won't install or operate properly,
I'm sure that the C743 will still work just as well without it.

I am sure everyone knows that I am a strong proponent of the Kodak line
of cameras for 'average users', but I a NOT a fan of their software,
which I find slow, cumbersome, and resource greedy. I would recommend a
card reader be used to transfer photos to the computer, and whatever
software the user likes best for further manipulation after the images
are on HD.
In short, the C743 (I have bought one for my wife), will work just as
well without a computer at all, as it will with the latest XP models.
If all else fails, you could take your cards to Sam's Club and get
prints for about $.11 each, or transfer the images to a CD one someone
else's XP machine.
Old December 22nd 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mrsgator88

Comment inline....

"Roy G" wrote in message
"pjp" wrote in message

Update your operating system to XP.

Why, it adds no additional functionality and introduces a pile of extra
bs.

Incorrect. The directory browser can easily display thumbnails, for photos
and many other files. In 98se you have to select "View as Web Page" and see
only one photo at a time. It also has built-in functionality for rotating
pictures 90 degrees. This is important since good organizing software may
not be available for win98.

Windows 98 is obsolete and is a total pain in the arse to work with

compared
to XP.

Not true.

In general I agree, but with digital pictures I've found the opposite to be
true. If you ever do video, for sure XP is better. The faster USB speeds
on XP will really make a difference as well.

Get into the 21st Century, it is now almost 6 years old.

Oh I'm supposed to go out and buy Vista now so MS can **** me around even
more with another level of "control". Geez, I gave up on Vax/VMS in the
mid
80's because I loved a pc because it was Personal. Now it might as well be
another mini/mainframe for it's restrictions. And never forget it's MS's
own
design that they're hacking as they go to make work.

Well you could get Linux and use Picasa...

Old December 22nd 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mike Russell wrote:
"pjp" wrote in message
Just bought a C743 and got it home before noticing box says Windows 2000
SP4
& XP. NO 98SE etc.

Is that correct?

If so then I guess I have to decide if spending the money on XP to upgrade
my daughter's pc (PIII-733Mz-256Ram) is worth it given my inclination is
just return the camera instead and buy another product that does support
98SE still. Geez, XP will cost more than the camera!!!

Truthful Yes/No answer please appreciated.

XP is not necessary. Get a USB card reader the supports Windows 98 and
forget about the camera drivers. Possibly you may be able to use the other
applications for editing images, etc, provided by Kodak.

While applications that run on Windows XP can generally also run on Windows
98, drivers are another matter. Windows 98 (and 95) use a VxD based driver
structure, while Windows 2000 and XP use NT-style DLL based drivers. There
are also certain graphics operations, including direct support for ICC color
profiles, new DirectX features, and other features that are absent in
Windows 98. As more features like this begin to be used in applications,
they will no longer work in Windows 98.

Kodak, like many others, decided that the user base for 98 was too small to
justify a separate code line. My guess is you'll find most camera vendors
are shedding support for Windows 98. Heck, even Windows 2000 is seven years
old.

For now, get a USB card reader and you're golden.

Your information is out of date.
MANY new software programs will NOT run on Win9x machines as they use
support provided in the XP software family (NT/2000/XP) to avoid writing
the same routines in their software. Kodak EasyShare software (current
version) requires XP. However, this software has NOTHING to do with the
operation of the camera, or interpretation of the images made by it.
The camera firmware expects 'Pictbridge' protocol to transfer images to
the computer, which is probably not available on a Win9X machine, but a
card reader can read the flash cards (SD) used by the camera. Some of
the automatic email and album functions will be lost this way, but
nothing that impairs the satisfactory operation of the camera for making
pictures.
Old December 22nd 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
pjp

"Louise Bremner" wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

Friends don't let friends use Windows 95/98/ME/SE

Unfortunately, clients forced me to buy it, as the only way I could find
to produce files that their computers could read....

What are you doing that requires Windows 95/98/ME/SE that can't be done on
XP???

Any "older" software that accesses various IO ports comes to mind, e.g. even
old comm programs like Procomm will work in a window under 9X but won't
under NT/XP.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan