Hello everyone...

Old September 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
chaser

Default Hello everyone...

I'm Joe. I was just given a Canon PS S3 IS for my birtday. So far I
love it. It is an upgrade from a Nikon CoolPix 2100. She loves me.

The question I have I think might not be specific to this camera.

When downloading pictures to the computer through the USB connection,
does this use the camera's battery power? Or does use the power from the
USB cable? Would I be better off removing the memory card and using the
internal card reader on my laptop?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the very near future. I can
think of 3 more right now off the top of my head but what fun would that
be?

Thanks in advance,
--
JP

"No one can tell me where my soul might be;
I searched for God, but he eluded me;
I sought my brother and found all three."

-Ernest Howard Crosby
Old September 5th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"chaser" wrote in message
.. .

I'm Joe. I was just given a Canon PS S3 IS for my birtday. So far I
love it. It is an upgrade from a Nikon CoolPix 2100. She loves me.

The question I have I think might not be specific to this camera.

When downloading pictures to the computer through the USB connection,
does this use the camera's battery power?

Sure, since the camera has to be turned on.

Or does use the power from the
USB cable? Would I be better off removing the memory card and using the
internal card reader on my laptop?

Either way is OK, but you will probably find the card reader built into your
laptop to be both faster and easier -- no need to bother with getting and
connecting the USB cable.

Neil

Old September 5th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
D Russell

chaser wrote:

I'm Joe. I was just given a Canon PS S3 IS for my birtday. So far I
love it. It is an upgrade from a Nikon CoolPix 2100. She loves me.

The question I have I think might not be specific to this camera.

When downloading pictures to the computer through the USB connection,
does this use the camera's battery power? Or does use the power from the
USB cable? Would I be better off removing the memory card and using the
internal card reader on my laptop?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the very near future. I can
think of 3 more right now off the top of my head but what fun would that
be?

Thanks in advance,

I've always thought of this as a trade off, on the one hand the card reader
will be faster, and it won't run down the batteries in the camera, on the
other hand the most risky thing you can do, on a regular basis, with a
memory card is remove it from the camera. I stick to running the batteries
down since I can recharge them, if I dropped the memory stick (in a cuppa
maybe!!), or damaged it somehow it's a little more expensive. Maybe im just
overly cautious :-)
Duncan