Pics from Great Falls, MD

Old August 12th 05, 07:35 AM

"My only suggestion would be to shoot more pics with slow shutter
speeds. As you've found it really gives
the water a velvety texture."

I really dislike the vogue for using slow shutter speeds to make
'angry' water look bland, like cotton wool. These shots make turbulent
water look realistic - and wet!

Where skies are washed out some post processing would easily restore
some colour to them.

Old August 12th 05, 01:10 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

wrote in message
ups.com...
"My only suggestion would be to shoot more pics with slow shutter
speeds. As you've found it really gives
the water a velvety texture."

I really dislike the vogue for using slow shutter speeds to make
'angry' water look bland, like cotton wool. These shots make turbulent
water look realistic - and wet!

Where skies are washed out some post processing would easily restore
some colour to them.

It's very hot and hazy in the DC area this time of year so that's exactly
what the sky looks like. I've played around a bit with them in Photoshop
but I'm no expert there so I left them as taken.

I do have a tripod but just didn't have it with me that day. Personally I
like both running water looks but I have to agree that with a place like
Great Falls the impact when you are there is the violence in the moving
water and a slower shutter speed won't catch that at all. The day I was
there was relatively calm; I want to go back after we've had some heavy
rains or even in the spring as the snows melt. That is a sight to be seen.

Thanks for the comments

--

Rob

Old August 12th 05, 01:29 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Dave R knows who" wrote in message

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message
Took these pics of Great Falls and the C&O canal this past Saturday.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/great_falls_md

As always comment and critiques welcome.
Hope you enjoy.

--

Thumbnails are underexposed until you hover. Makes it hard to choose an
image to view.

Thumbnail issue is fixed.

--

Rob

Old August 12th 05, 02:04 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote...

It's very hot and hazy in the DC area this time of year so that's exactly
what the sky looks like. I've played around a bit with them in Photoshop
but I'm no expert there so I left them as taken.

I agree with you that the haze is terrible. It's probably best if you can
put off shooting till you find a time/day that best suites your needs and
style. I've been doing some panoramas and found it best to come back on a
more suitable day.

BTW I like your "Gates" shot you posted a while back.

http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38100676

Rita

Old August 12th 05, 02:09 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote...

It's very hot and hazy in the DC area this time of year so that's exactly
what the sky looks like. I've played around a bit with them in Photoshop
but I'm no expert there so I left them as taken.

I agree with you that the haze is terrible. It's probably best if you can
put off shooting till you find a time/day that best suites your needs and
style. I've been doing some panoramas and found it best to come back on a
more suitable day.

I will certainly go back when the weather is better, this was more of a
seize the moment type thing and to be honest I was surprised with how the
actually turned out.

BTW I like your "Gates" shot you posted a while back.

http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38100676

Thanks.

--

Rob

Old August 12th 05, 02:36 PM
salgud

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
"salgud" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
Took these pics of Great Falls and the C&O canal this past Saturday.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/great_falls_md

As always comment and critiques welcome.
Hope you enjoy.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Nice pics! How long since you last saw the sun (Big glowing orange ball
in the sky) back there?

LOL Sun? What's that?

Actually we have blue skies today (first time in weeks I think) although I
haven't been out long enough to spot the big orange ball thingy.

Thanks.

--

Rob

LOL! I grew up on the east coast. Moved to Colorado to go to college,
never went back. Got spoiled by sun 300 days a year!

Old August 13th 05, 02:14 PM
Jan

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

Took these pics of Great Falls and the C&O canal this past Saturday.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/great_falls_md

As always comment and critiques welcome.
Hope you enjoy.

Now that everyone has taken a swipe at you, I'll add my comments.
Great pictures. No complaints. Wish I could do as well. Might be fun
to play with in Photoshop.

My only concern - and you know it - is that people be VERY careful when
moving about out there, especially on the rocks.

JW