How is Nikon's new little ED kit lens?

Old August 10th 05, 04:04 AM
RichA

Default How is Nikon's new little ED kit lens?

The one they are supplying if you buy the D50? I assume the ED
will help with CA, even if the lens is slow.
-Rich
Old August 11th 05, 03:42 AM
frederick

RichA wrote:
The one they are supplying if you buy the D50? I assume the ED
will help with CA, even if the lens is slow.
-Rich

It seems just like another famous 18-55.
If you could be bothered with the tiny manual focus ring, slow AF, and
rotating front element, then if the optics were great, it might be
useful for someone else. For so long as the 18-70 is only double the
price of the 18-55, then it's a no-brainer for anyone who has experience
using an slr IMO.
Old August 14th 05, 09:35 AM
Pete D

"frederick" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
The one they are supplying if you buy the D50? I assume the ED
will help with CA, even if the lens is slow.
-Rich

It seems just like another famous 18-55.
If you could be bothered with the tiny manual focus ring, slow AF, and
rotating front element, then if the optics were great, it might be useful
for someone else. For so long as the 18-70 is only double the price of
the 18-55, then it's a no-brainer for anyone who has experience using an
slr IMO.

You have to think a little wider than though, when you come to sell the
camera having a basic lens to sell with it is a good idea rather than just
trying to flog the body only, especially an entry level camera. Mind you,
the way prices are going the D50 will sell secondhand in a year with lens
for $250.

Old August 14th 05, 12:03 PM
frederick

RichA wrote:

The one they are supplying if you buy the D50? I assume the ED
will help with CA, even if the lens is slow.
-Rich

It seems just like another famous 18-55.
If you could be bothered with the tiny manual focus ring, slow AF, and
rotating front element, then if the optics were great, it might be useful
for someone else. For so long as the 18-70 is only double the price of
the 18-55, then it's a no-brainer for anyone who has experience using an
slr IMO.

You have to think a little wider than though, when you come to sell the
camera having a basic lens to sell with it is a good idea rather than just
trying to flog the body only, especially an entry level camera. Mind you,
the way prices are going the D50 will sell secondhand in a year with lens
for $250.

You might be right - except that my experience has been to buy "kits" of
old 35mm gear, extract a few bits that I want, and sell the rest bit by
bit, with the result that I have owned some nice lenses etc that cost me
nothing - or I've even made a small profit to cover the effort. There
is still a market for 35mm slrs - although I've only been able to
attract attention by offering them at no reserve. Most interest seems
to be from photography students, something that I find a bit bizarre, as
unless they are commencing a very short course, then by the time they
graduate, they will have heads full of knowledge of little practical use
- except to argue about the merits of the old ways in internet forums.
While I have no expectation that cameras/dslrs will retain value, if
second-hand D50 kits are selling for $250 in a year I will be surprised.