Canon S50 upgrade: Rebel XT, or go for the 20D?

Old March 15th 05, 08:17 PM
SeaShel

Default Canon S50 upgrade: Rebel XT, or go for the 20D?

As a photographer with more will than time, which would be the more
productive learning curve? The price difference matters, but also to
consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future. I am
leaning towards the Rebel XT, but I want to be firm in the decision. I have
no lenses and will just use what comes with the camera for a while.

Thanks for any info and/or advice.

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

Old March 15th 05, 11:51 PM
leo

SeaShel wrote:
As a photographer with more will than time, which would be the more
productive learning curve? The price difference matters, but also to
consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future. I am
leaning towards the Rebel XT, but I want to be firm in the decision. I have
no lenses and will just use what comes with the camera for a while.

Thanks for any info and/or advice.

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

I would think 350D is sufficient for me (and you too?) but I am glad
that I got the 20D. I can easily live with 3fps of the 350D. It's more
in the luxurious factor than usage.

I had the 300D before. All deficiency has been fixed in 350D. There is
still only no separate dials for controlling aperture and shutter in
manual mode but you can get use to the shift button very soon.
Old March 16th 05, 01:01 AM
Derek Fountain

but also to
consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future.

I don't think that is to consider. The 10D had a life of about 18 months,
and is still a fine camera. Most people say the differences between the 10D
and 20D are so slight they don't justify an upgrade. The 20D has been on
sale about 7 months, which means it probably won't be upgraded for at least
another year or so. When they do so I suspect the difference between the
20D and its successor will be even less than between the 10D and 20D.
There's only so much more genuine evolution (as opposed to marketing
evolution) that current DSLR technologies can offer, and there's no sign of
a revolution on the horizon that I can see.

It's up to you I suppose, but given the life span of any high tech consumer
product these days anyone who won't purchase what they want because a
possible upgrade in the near future will probably never buy anything.

--
The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
http://www.derekfountain.org : a
Old March 16th 05, 01:16 AM
leo

Derek Fountain wrote:
[...]

She's not comparing 10D to 20D, but 350D to 20D. 20D and 350D are
substantially faster than 10D and 300D. The speed improvement makes
shooting RAW a reality. With 300D, you have to wait for many seconds for
the buffer to clear. It's absolutely unbearable. 20D clears the buffer
in one second.
Old March 16th 05, 02:46 AM

"SeaShel" wrote in message
As a photographer with more will than time, which would be the more
productive learning curve? The price difference matters, but also to

consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future.

I am
leaning towards the Rebel XT, but I want to be firm in the decision.

I have
no lenses and will just use what comes with the camera for a while.

The 20D upgrade will likely be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.

I'd guess that the sensor will remain the same, but that they will add
a few features such as a 2" or 2.5" LCD, spot metering, RGB histogram,
and RF or IR remote capability. And it may be a new model in addition
to the 20D, not a replacement (as they appear to be doing with the 300D
and 350D). I don't think they'll go to a 36x24mm or 29x19mm sensor
because they want to keep compatibility with the EF-S lenses, as well
as preventing price erosion of the professional models with the larger
sensors. They've about maxxed out the resolution on a 22.5 x 15.0
sensor, in terms of keeping the noise down to an acceptable level
(maybe they can get to 10 megapixel, but there's really no point).

Old March 16th 05, 05:30 AM
Derek Fountain

but also to
consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future.

I don't think that is to consider.

She's not comparing 10D to 20D, but 350D to 20D. 20D and 350D are
substantially faster than 10D and 300D. The speed improvement makes
shooting RAW a reality. With 300D, you have to wait for many seconds for
the buffer to clear. It's absolutely unbearable. 20D clears the buffer
in one second.

Read what I wrote. In his/her consideration of the Rebel XT versus the 20D,
the idea that Canon might upgrade the 20D anytime soon should not be a
factor in the decision making. I was using what we know from the history of
the 10D to reinforce my point.

Old March 16th 05, 02:09 PM
leo

Derek Fountain wrote:
but also to
consider is Canon's possible upgrade of the 20D in the near future.

I don't think that is to consider.

She's not comparing 10D to 20D, but 350D to 20D. 20D and 350D are
substantially faster than 10D and 300D. The speed improvement makes
shooting RAW a reality. With 300D, you have to wait for many seconds for
the buffer to clear. It's absolutely unbearable. 20D clears the buffer
in one second.

Read what I wrote. In his/her consideration of the Rebel XT versus the 20D,
the idea that Canon might upgrade the 20D anytime soon should not be a
factor in the decision making. I was using what we know from the history of
the 10D to reinforce my point.

Okay. Got it. However, 20D is such a big improvement from 10D (SPEED)
that many people would consider the upgrade. If it's just going from 6MP
to 8MP. It would be another story.
Old March 16th 05, 08:45 PM
SeaShel

Thanks to all who replied and had so many helpful things to say. I went
with the Rebel XT and another lens, EF 75-300. It is a world away from what
I saw with the S50 and I will have a lot to learn. After a while (a couple
of years I hope) I will be ready to move up to a better camera, but for now
I am very pleased with this one. Thanks again!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply