Signifigance of CF Speed

Old March 15th 05, 08:54 PM
Al

Winston wrote:
It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)

Winston

The CF card says Canon, but the copyright is SanDisk.
Old March 16th 05, 06:04 AM
Steve

Mikey wrote:

you will see improvements with faster memory.
Get the fastest memory you can afford.

Don't spend money that doen't pay you back. On my Nikon 5400 a standard Sandisk
128MB card is actually a little bit faster than the 1 gig Sandisk ultra II card I
have. Until I upgrade my computer I don't have a fast transfer option, so the extra
$20 for the Ultra card hasn't gotten me anything extra. I don't need to get the card
downloaded within a few minutes, so it's really not a problem, and I may manage to
put off the computer upgrade for a while yet.

If the OP is only "thinking" about something bigger than 32MB, then he apparently
doesn't require high transfer speeds (yet) either, so the camera's write speed is
what's important, especially if he doesn't have a fast transfer option without a
computer upgrade. Trying a fast card before paying for it might be a good idea.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

Old March 16th 05, 04:16 PM
Al

Steve wrote:

Mikey wrote:

you will see improvements with faster memory.

Get the fastest memory you can afford.

Don't spend money that doen't pay you back. On my Nikon 5400 a standard
Sandisk 128MB card is actually a little bit faster than the 1 gig
Sandisk ultra II card I have. Until I upgrade my computer I don't have a
fast transfer option, so the extra $20 for the Ultra card hasn't gotten
me anything extra. I don't need to get the card downloaded within a few
minutes, so it's really not a problem, and I may manage to put off the
computer upgrade for a while yet.

If the OP is only "thinking" about something bigger than 32MB, then he
apparently doesn't require high transfer speeds (yet) either, so the
camera's write speed is what's important, especially if he doesn't have
a fast transfer option without a computer upgrade. Trying a fast card
before paying for it might be a good idea.

OP here.

The data for at least one picture - if not more - is written
to internal memory in the camera, isn't it? Does the speed of
the card have anything to do with the operation of the camera?
Old March 16th 05, 04:38 PM
David J Taylor

Al wrote:
[]
OP here.

The data for at least one picture - if not more - is written
to internal memory in the camera, isn't it? Does the speed of
the card have anything to do with the operation of the camera?

Yes, for when the internal memory runs out (as when using rapid or
continuous shooting) and for reviewing the pictures.
Faster cards may also read into your computer more quickly if you have a
USB 2.0 or Firewire reader.

David