Nikon D70 Questions

Old July 1st 04, 06:30 AM
Bob

Default Nikon D70 Questions

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:07:40 -0700, Steve Hix

Bob wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:14:26 GMT, "Dennis D. Carter"
wrote:

1. Is a protective filter for the lens really necessary?

I've never used one, and never scratched a lens in 40 years... How careful are
you? Sometimes knowing that the lens is fragile will help you take better care
of your camera... of course you may need to protect it in harsh environments
like at the foundry in a wind storm...

I'm careful...can't say the same for the yahoo who nailed the front
element of my best lens with a hard-thrown iceball one morning.

That's a bitch!

I guess if something's gonna happen - it will... with my luck I'd buy a filter
and put it on and then drop the camera and smash the camera!

It's like service extended warranties, I guess. I've saved enough money never
buying them to pay to replace anything I own, easy!

Old July 1st 04, 07:47 AM
Tony Spadaro

They are only useful if you want you lens to stay in good shape. A filter
can be thrown away when it gets uncleanable. You don't want to do that with
a lens.
I'd suggest the Hoya multicoat UV filter as a reasonably priced filter
that is not going to have flaws that will show up in your picture. Nikon
filters are overpriced as are the German filters. Tiffens are okay but not
coated. Sigma, Quantary, and a million other off brands are pure junk.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Dennis D. Carter" wrote in message
I just purchased a Nikon D70 kit and have a few questions I hope you can
help with.

1. Is a protective filter for the lens really necessary? If yes, does it
adversely affect digital pictures?

I've read conflicting articles on the need for these and their effect on
pictures.

2. If a protective filter is a good idea, where, what brand, and what type
should I get?

I've been looking for a 67mm clear Nikon filter but apparently nobody

sells
them. Some camera shops have recommended Quarantary, Sigma, Hoya, Tiffen,
and B+W, mostly the UV kind. But, articles I've read say that UV filters
are not good for digital cameras.

3. Slightly off topic but what do you recommend for a printer?

I'd like to print up to 8.5 x 11 pictures. I have an old inkjet but was
thinking of getting either an HP 7960 or Epson PictureMate. The

PictureMate
only prints 4 x 6, but has exceptionally good quality.

Help.....and thanks.

Dennis D. Carter

Old July 1st 04, 03:38 PM
MikeS

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I let one of my children use my camera (film) some years ago to take their
own shots. When I came to use I found the uv filter was shattered. I removed
it and carefully cleaned he lens and it was OK not a scratch. I swear by
them because, I reckon if I hadn't fitted the filter I would have had to buy
a new lens. MikeS

Old July 1st 04, 06:04 PM
Peter

Default Nikon D70 Questions Slightly OT

"Dennis D. Carter" wrote in message ...
I just purchased a Nikon D70 kit and have a few questions I hope you can
help with.

1. Is a protective filter for the lens really necessary? If yes, does it
adversely affect digital pictures?

I just received the D-70 kit from Adorama, and bought a Tiffen UV
filter to match:

Tiffen / TF67UVW Tiffen 67mm UV (Ultra Violet) Wide Angle Thin Glass
Filter

With this filter installed, there is nothing that the lens cap can
grip onto. So I either can have the filter on the lens, or the lens
cap on the lens. This seems to defeat the purpose of protecting the
lens.

Does anyone have a recommened filter *other* than this Tiffen?

Will vignetting be a problem with physically deeper filters when
combined with the 17-70 lens?

Regards
Peter
Old July 2nd 04, 04:05 AM
Christopher Muto

i have the regular tiffen on the kit and no problems with the lens cap. i
had asked about getting the thin filter because of fear of vignetting on
such a wide lens (18mm) but was assured it would not be a problem... and it
is not. adorama are good people, why not exchange it for the regular
tiffen? it is actually a couple of dollars less than the wide angle thin
version.

om...

Old July 2nd 04, 04:13 AM
leo

"Peter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I use Hoya Pro1 UV filters on my Canon lens. They are thin and super
mulitcoated. A bit pricey though. No problem with the lens cap, unless your
Nikon cap is special.