Canon/Nikon any REAL difference????

Old June 30th 04, 03:02 AM
Dane Brickman

Default Canon/Nikon any REAL difference????

I'm going to get an entry level DSLR with the intention of upgrading as
major refinements come on board.... my film gear is Contax and so my current
lens collection will not be a factor.

My question is, in terms of final print quality and thinking long term, does
it really matter if I chose Nikon over Canon or Canon over Nikon?

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does it
just come down to personal preference?

Old June 30th 04, 03:31 AM
paleryder

"Dane Brickman" wrote ...
I'm going to get an entry level DSLR with the intention of upgrading as
major refinements come on board.... my film gear is Contax and so my

current
lens collection will not be a factor.

My question is, in terms of final print quality and thinking long term,

does
it really matter if I chose Nikon over Canon or Canon over Nikon?

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does

it
just come down to personal preference?

IMHO, personal preference. Canon seems to be willing to
innovate more. Nikon may have an edge in its flash system.
Canon has an edge with widely available USM and IS lenses.

Try them for fit and feel with your shooting style and choose
whichever works better for you. Neither company is likely
to fold.

Old June 30th 04, 03:38 AM
Chuck

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does
it
just come down to personal preference?

Personal (even religious for some). I choose Canon.

Tried Nikon, didnt liked the pictures I made, also found that Nokonians
community is weird.

Go read the threads , scary !
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcf...conf=DCConfID3

Chuck

Old June 30th 04, 03:45 AM
Any Moose Poster

In article ,
"Chuck" wrote:

Tried Nikon, didnt liked the pictures I made, also found that Nokonians
community is weird.

Like that they actually might spell Nikonians correctly :-(

Go read the threads , scary !
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcf...conf=DCConfID3

Seem normal to me.
--
Duzz that A moose you ?
Old June 30th 04, 03:54 AM
bmoag

I strongly believe that all gear of a certain quality is more or less
equivalent. I do not believe that the features of Canon or Nikon (or Minolta
or Pentax, etc) are such that the gear will be the major factor restricting
image making ability: the photographer is really the limiting (or enabling)
factor. This newsgroup both amuses and irritates me at times because of the
mindset of some writers that gear (or "kit" as the British would say) is
all. Really, gear is the smallest part of the aesthetic equation, a very,
very small part. A talented photographer with a Nikon990 will make better
images than most of us with a D100.

Old June 30th 04, 04:24 AM
Tony Spadaro

There aree differences. Canon tends to have less noise at the same ISO but
not a whole lot.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old June 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Jimmy G

Thank you, however I was JUST as weird while I had Canon gear as I was while
I had Nikon gear.

Don't be a complete bozo: The type of equipment one owns & uses hasn't got
the last thing to do with personality traits.

Grow a brain!

Old June 30th 04, 04:59 AM
Phil Stripling

"Dane Brickman" writes:

Does (will) one really blow the other away now or in the future, or does it
just come down to personal preference?

I think they're basically equivalent. My suggestion is to rent one for a
weekend, then next weekend rent the other one. Try them out day and
night. If one camera speaks your name, buy it. If they seem equivalent to
you, look at the whole system that is available and choose the one that
seems to fit your needs.