64-bit codec for Canon & Nikon RAW formats

Old June 7th 11, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default 64-bit codec for Canon & Nikon RAW formats

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:50:16 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:

There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
DSLR.

How do you solve this problem?

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw images"?
I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At best, they
might use 16bits per channel.
Old June 7th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
DSLR.

How do you solve this problem?

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw images"?
I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At best, they
might use 16bits per channel.

the raw converter software is 64 bit.
Old June 7th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 14:49:09 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
DSLR.

How do you solve this problem?

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw
images"? I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At
best, they might use 16bits per channel.

the raw converter software is 64 bit.

That's hardly what I'd call a 'codec' - it's an application - and why
would it matter?

Old June 7th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw
images"? I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At
best, they might use 16bits per channel.

the raw converter software is 64 bit.

That's hardly what I'd call a 'codec' - it's an application - and why
would it matter?

depends on the raw converter. camera raw is a plug-in, like a codec,
although it's not technically a codec. other raw converters are
self-contained applications, like nikon's software. if it's all 64 bit,
the raw processing is generally faster.
Old June 7th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , ray
wrote:

There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
DSLR.

How do you solve this problem?

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw images"?
I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At best, they
might use 16bits per channel.

the raw converter software is 64 bit.

But there is no such thing as a "raw image". There are
"RAW" files, which contain sensor data from which images
can be produced. That requires a "raw converter", not a
codec. UFRAW is a good example, and can be compiled on
either a 32 bit or a 64 bit system. It's not a "codec".

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old June 7th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 8/06/2011, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

But there is no such thing as a "raw image".

Tell that to Weiner.

Old June 7th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
DSLR.

How do you solve this problem?

Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw images"?
I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At best, they
might use 16bits per channel.

the raw converter software is 64 bit.

But there is no such thing as a "raw image". There are "RAW" files,

stupid semantic games. if someone says 'raw image' it's quite clear
what they mean, even if the choice of words do not meet with your
approval.

which contain sensor data from which images
can be produced.

yes it does, and calling it a raw image is acceptable because the
meaning is obvious.

That requires a "raw converter", not a
codec.

more stupid semantics. again, it's obvious what he meant (how else
would you know to substitute raw converter?), and a raw converter can
be a codec (or if you want to nitpick which i'm sure you do, a 'dec'
since there really isn't a 'co'). adobe camera raw is a good example of
that.

UFRAW is a good example, and can be compiled on
either a 32 bit or a 64 bit system.

yes it can.

It's not a "codec".

no it isn't but others could be, so maybe it's not such a good example
after all.
Old June 7th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-06-07 17:06 , N wrote:
On 8/06/2011, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

But there is no such thing as a "raw image".

Tell that to Weiner.

I've been trying to come up with some sensible humor over that hot
dogger, but you've summed it up pretty well.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old June 8th 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Funny ****!!!

Old June 8th 11, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: There seems no FREE and/or OFFICIAL 64-bit codec for raw images from
: DSLR.
:
: How do you solve this problem?
:
: Could you explain to me what you mean by a "64-bit codec for raw images"?
: I'm not familiar with any cameras that produce 64-bit data. At best, they
: might use 16bits per channel.

He means a RAW codec that runs on one of the Windows 64-bit operating systems.
For reasons never fully explained, the 32-bit RAW codec won't run on those
operating systems, which are therefore incapable of displaying thumbnails. A
minor problem overall.

Bob