What is the best metering mode?

Old May 26th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mmyvusenet[_2_]

Default What is the best metering mode?

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

--
MMYV
http://www.mmyv.com

Old May 26th 11, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 25 May 2011 21:18:39 -0500, "mmyvusenet"
wrote:

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

I use Matrix for almost all shots, but go to Spot when the object I'm
focussing on has the light behind it. I don't use Center at all.

(Matrix is one of the three choices on Nikon cameras, but I don't know
what other brands call it. Some use "Multi-Zone" for Matrix. It
averages all of the light zones.)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 26th 11, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Walter[_2_]

On 26/05/2011 03:18, mmyvusenet wrote:
Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

I've not been into photography for very long and am still learning but
this is my take on it based on what I've read:

There isn't a best mode since they're all used for different situations
of dynamic range. Therefore your subject will determine what is best.
Matrix metering deals with most situations and centre and spot can be
used in situations where Matrix causes under/over exposure.
Old May 26th 11, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

mmyvusenet wrote:
Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

I don't remember ever using a mode other than "Evaluative"
on my Canon A630, in conjunction with exposure compensation
after review (and the need for the latter is very rare)

One less thing to worry about.

BugBear
Old May 26th 11, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 26/05/2011, mmyvusenet wrote:
Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

If a "best" mode existed, then there would only be one mode on all
cameras.

Old May 26th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

One that hasn't been mentioned so far is 'incident light'. This has
been almost forgotten since all the bells and whistles have been
incorporated in modern cameras but its still the preference of many
pros.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/meters.shtml

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 26th 11, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-05-26 07:24 , N wrote:
On 26/05/2011, mmyvusenet wrote:
Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the
different seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

If a "best" mode existed, then there would only be one mode on all cameras.

A nice way to put it.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old May 26th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

One that hasn't been mentioned so far is 'incident light'. This has
been almost forgotten since all the bells and whistles have been
incorporated in modern cameras but its still the preference of many
pros.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/meters.shtml

Except that cameras don't have such a mode and few non-pros (or obsessed
amateurs) have such meters.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old May 27th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

One that hasn't been mentioned so far is 'incident light'. This has
been almost forgotten since all the bells and whistles have been
incorporated in modern cameras but its still the preference of many
pros.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/meters.shtml

Except that cameras don't have such a mode and few non-pros (or obsessed
amateurs) have such meters.

I know modern cameras don't have such a mode but there is nothing to
stop you from buying one.

Just look at the choices http://tinyurl.com/4ynsqhj

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 27th 11, 09:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

wrote:

Hello:

I think that is usually between Spot metering and Center weighted meter.

In your experience, what would be the best method according to the different
seasons?

Thanks for your comments.

One that hasn't been mentioned so far is 'incident light'. This has
been almost forgotten since all the bells and whistles have been
incorporated in modern cameras but its still the preference of many
pros.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s/meters.shtml

Except that cameras don't have such a mode and few non-pros (or obsessed
amateurs) have such meters.

I know modern cameras don't have such a mode but there is nothing to
stop you from buying one.

cost/benefit analysis?

BugBear

"P" mode and "Av" mode..whats the difference on a Canon 400d? the_niner_nation Digital SLR Cameras 22 May 29th 07 07:52 PM
Camcorder: Works perfect in 0 LUX mode; Hazy in normal mode Raqueeb Hassan Digital Photography 2 January 9th 07 05:18 PM
metering Jul Digital Photography 4 January 22nd 06 07:41 AM
ttl metering eric phillips Digital Photography 5 March 15th 05 02:34 AM
Exposure values and light metering mode guidelines for beach Renee Digital Photography 0 June 24th 04 04:18 AM